Thoughts on the Kestrel Talon?

SCOTTinNJ

Feb 27, 2006
Thinking about purchasing one for use as a road/tri bike. I'd keep the road bars with STI shifters and add aero-bars. Then I'd use a standard seatpost while in road mode and the Kestrel aluminum aero post when in the tri position. Any thoughts on this bike?

I also have a Trek Madone 5.9 SL which will be my primary bike. The Kestrel will be used as my tri bike when racing (I plan to do a few sprints and maybe an olympic at most) and my indoor trainer bike. I'll probably use it in road mode when the weather is inclement, as I'd like to keep the Madone as clean as possible.

Oh yea, I can swap older 9 speed ultegra components to a Kestrel frame or buy a complete 10 speed ultegra equipped bike for about $400 more. Thoughts on that as well?

my thought would be if you already have a rd bike go for a full tt/tri bike. if you want you can get a cheap rear wheel set up for your rd bike to swap out before a trainer session.

and quit disrespecting your bike! it's not scared of rain! you just need to hose it off after rain rides, and keep it clean and lubed!