Thoughts on the Trek 1000, 1200 and 1500?

rosborn

Aug 26, 2004
Howdy,

Been spending some time looking at the Trek 1000, 1200 and 1500 bikes. The reason why is that Bicycling Magazine recently raved about the quality and ride of the 1000 (an 8 speed bike) as an entry level bike. They wrote that it is the best bike for under $1,000. Nice looking bike and comes with the Trek name brand but I am concerned about the componentry. The Trek website indicates that the front derailleur is Shimano 2203 and the rear derailleur is Tiagra. Shimano 2203 is of a lower quality than Sora components so I'm wondering if this bike is really a good buy or would it make more sense to spend a couple of hundred bucks more and get the 1200 (a 9 speed bike) which has a Tiagra front derailleur and a 105 rear derailleur? Of course, for about $400 more than the 1000 you can get the 1500 (a 9 speed bike) which has a 105 front derailleur and an Ultegra rear derailleur.

Just looking for a bike that will take me from mid-entry level to beyond.

Rob

rosborn said:
Howdy,

Been spending some time looking at the Trek 1000, 1200 and 1500 bikes. The reason why is that Bicycling Magazine recently raved about the quality and ride of the 1000 (an 8 speed bike) as an entry level bike. They wrote that it is the best bike for under $1,000. Nice looking bike and comes with the Trek name brand but I am concerned about the componentry. The Trek website indicates that the front derailleur is Shimano 2203 and the rear derailleur is Tiagra. Shimano 2203 is of a lower quality than Sora components so I'm wondering if this bike is really a good buy or would it make more sense to spend a couple of hundred bucks more and get the 1200 (a 9 speed bike) which has a Tiagra front derailleur and a 105 rear derailleur? Of course, for about $400 more than the 1000 you can get the 1500 (a 9 speed bike) which has a 105 front derailleur and an Ultegra rear derailleur.

Just looking for a bike that will take me from mid-entry level to beyond.

Rob
I think that you just answered the question for yourself. If you are looking for something higher than entry level than you are pretty much looking at the standard climb in the price ladder. Just look for the best possible deals for the bike that fits you. I would recommend going no lower than 105 for componentry if reliability is what you want over the long haul. If you want something that will be a litmus test for whether or not you want to be serious about cycling, then it would be worthwhile to get a sora equipped ride that will surely tell you in a year or two whether a big upgrade is something you'd want.

I went from Sora to 105, and I there is a noticable difference, if you can afford it now go a little higher, but it doesn't really matter. Sora is still good, it will last for years - but I bet if you buy the Sora you'll be back on here in a few months with a thread titled "How should I upgrade my Trek - 105 or Ultegra?"

I like the 105 rear mech as well, much more than the Sora, it is smoother and looks neater.

Good luck and enjoy your bike.

^Ain't that the truth. I purchased my bike a little over a week ago and I'm already looking for deals for the ultegra and 105 groupsets.

I like my 7300FX a lot. The back problems I have, have got nothing to do with the problems I had with seat position. (had to have it lean slightly backwards). I could use a longer stem, but this will suffice, I think. If not, another $60.00 would fix it.

janiejones said:
I went from Sora to 105, and I there is a noticable difference, if you can afford it now go a little higher, but it doesn't really matter. Sora is still good, it will last for years - but I bet if you buy the Sora you'll be back on here in a few months with a thread titled "How should I upgrade my Trek - 105 or Ultegra?"

I like the 105 rear mech as well, much more than the Sora, it is smoother and looks neater.

Good luck and enjoy your bike.
Well, I went and purchased a 2005 Specialized Tarmac Comp which has 105 and Ultegra components and a carbon frame. Guess I won't have to deal with the issue I brought up earlier. I never thought I would buy a bike like this right now but it wasn't much more expensive than an aluminum frame bike with higher end components.

Thank you for the advice and words of experience.

Rob

You get a heck of a bike in that 1500. It has some nice upgrades in addition to the ones that you mention. I got one for a relative who has been riding it a bunch since Christmas. He loves it. It is plenty of bike, and definitely worth the price of the upgrades.

rosborn said:
Well, I went and purchased a 2005 Specialized Tarmac Comp which has 105 and Ultegra components and a carbon frame. Guess I won't have to deal with the issue I brought up earlier. I never thought I would buy a bike like this right now but it wasn't much more expensive than an aluminum frame bike with higher end components.

Thank you for the advice and words of experience.

Rob
haha you went from "thoughts on a Trek 1000" to a Tarmac Comp! Nice!

SpecializedWRX said:
haha you went from "thoughts on a Trek 1000" to a Tarmac Comp! Nice!
Gotta tell ya, it caught me completely off guard. I called my LBS and started asking questions about what I could get for the $1500 price range and the owner said, "Have I got a deal for you." So, he proceeds to tell me how I can get a complete carbon 2005 Specialized Tarmac Comp for $1599. Better components than the 2006 Tarmac Comp for $600 less than the 2006. It was a deal I couldn't refuse.

Seriously, after looking at what I could get for $900 - a 2005 Cannondale R700 with similar components but with an aluminum frame - I decided to look for a more expensive bike. I was still finding aluminum frames in that price range. I started talking with my LBS and he found me a Giant TCR 3 Composite for $1429. I sat on it awhile and did some research with other stores in the area and found a similar 2005 Tarmac Comp for $1800. So, I called my LBS and the rest is history.

To say that I am excited is an understatement. I can't wait to get on the bike.

Rob

Well done!

Did you get fit already? Hopefully a quality fit leads to comfort on the bike which is more important then the sweet deal you got.

xxbackhillxx said:
^Ain't that the truth. I purchased my bike a little over a week ago and I'm already looking for deals for the ultegra and 105 groupsets.

It also costs 2-3 times more to upgrade by buying components seperatley than to get the bike with the 105 or Ultegra in the first place. If you are going to ride your bike 4-7 times a week then get at least 105. If you only ride once a week or less, then Sora should be fine.

noonievut said:
Well done!

Did you get fit already? Hopefully a quality fit leads to comfort on the bike which is more important then the sweet deal you got.
Got fit this evening and rode 10 miles. The only thing bothering me are my legs.

As a matter of fact, this was the best ride I have had in two years. In fact, the way the bike took the buzz out of the road was simply amazing. Complete comfort.

Rob

rosborn said:
Got fit this evening and rode 10 miles. The only thing bothering me are my legs.

As a matter of fact, this was the best ride I have had in two years. In fact, the way the bike took the buzz out of the road was simply amazing. Complete comfort.

Rob
<<<<<<< jealous.

Congrats on the new ride! That is amazing. A freakin' tarmac comp for 1600 bucks is just a completely smokin' deal. I just went down to the bike shop by my gf's house and they had their tarmac frame with full 105 for 1900 bucks!!!!:eek: But they are on PCH in Dana Point so they would be over priced...! To busy paying rent to get a good deal at that place!:rolleyes: