Thoughts on this Bianchi ending soon....

I don't know that bike in particular but seeing how its set-up you might have suprises. I mean look a his saddles, you have to be really dumb to ride a bike that way. Maybe its just that its not tightened or something but if I wanted to sell a bike I'd set it up properly. My point is that if this 'detail' is wrong imagine how the rest of the bike must be like... my guess is : 2 broken spokes, 1 near-explosion tire, completely owrn out chain and cassette...

sorry for being so negative but I couldn't help but wonder how the bike must be like. And 61 cm is one big bike, make sure its the right size for you!

Good luck

zewol said:
I don't know that bike in particular but seeing how its set-up you might have suprises. I mean look a his saddles, you have to be really dumb to ride a bike that way. Maybe its just that its not tightened or something but if I wanted to sell a bike I'd set it up properly. My point is that if this 'detail' is wrong imagine how the rest of the bike must be like... my guess is : 2 broken spokes, 1 near-explosion tire, completely owrn out chain and cassette...

sorry for being so negative but I couldn't help but wonder how the bike must be like. And 61 cm is one big bike, make sure its the right size for you!

Good luck
Great points... BTW.. I am 6'4", so I need a big bike... I am a total newbie at trying to determine what bike I want... I am going to go to a different LBS today on my lunch just to get more advice and see what they have to offer... I am not in a hurry.. (still getting over a horrible stomach virus).. But, I am itching to get out there...

I started wanting to putter around in a $400 hybrid with less than desirable components then realized, I will be doing ZERO off-road and might as well stick to a road bike. Other suggested for the amount of $$ I was willing to spend on a hybrid, to buy a used nice road bike and have it tuned up...

I know what will happen. I will be in a local bike shop and say screw it and buy something for $500 more than I planned on spending... I am bad about that...

jspicoli said:
Great points... BTW.. I am 6'4", so I need a big bike... I am a total newbie at trying to determine what bike I want... I am going to go to a different LBS today on my lunch just to get more advice and see what they have to offer... I am not in a hurry.. (still getting over a horrible stomach virus).. But, I am itching to get out there...

I started wanting to putter around in a $400 hybrid with less than desirable components then realized, I will be doing ZERO off-road and might as well stick to a road bike. Other suggested for the amount of $$ I was willing to spend on a hybrid, to buy a used nice road bike and have it tuned up...

I know what will happen. I will be in a local bike shop and say screw it and buy something for $500 more than I planned on spending... I am bad about that...
Ahhhh Grasshopper, the bug will get you, it is karma. I, too, was in your situation. Give in to the inevitable my friend.

Probably Buying from a LBS won't be a bad decision money-wise considering the worn pieces and stuff from a used bike. Plus, you'll probably have a 1 or 2 years warranty on the adjustments of your bike so you save up money that way. And most of all, you can find a bike that will be your size without too much modifications if you can find a shop that you trust.

ps: going on a road bike if you won't do anything else is a great idea. I don't know if you intend to do some training that way but a hybrid will be **** for performance.

Good luck

zewol said:
Probably Buying from a LBS won't be a bad decision money-wise considering the worn pieces and stuff from a used bike. Plus, you'll probably have a 1 or 2 years warranty on the adjustments of your bike so you save up money that way. And most of all, you can find a bike that will be your size without too much modifications if you can find a shop that you trust.

ps: going on a road bike if you won't do anything else is a great idea. I don't know if you intend to do some training that way but a hybrid will be **** for performance.

Good luck
This is what I did. I know I will get criticism for my decision, but I am happy with my reasoning.

I road several bikes. The original Cypress DX ($359), A Specialized road bike ($900), and a Cannondale something for even more $$.... Each bike was configured for my size before I road.

I ended up buying the Cypress DX for the following reasons:

1. I know if I started getting into this and become hooked, I will ultimately be upgrading to a much more high-end bike no matter which bike I bought. That is how I am. I take extremely good care of everything I have and will spend the extra money for the better.

2. I get to gain valuable experience and knowledge on a cheaper bike so I am better educated for what I really want.

3. This is a nice bike to putt around the neighborhood and to take with me on family outings.

So ultimately, I bought this bike knowing it is an interim bike I am going to learn on. If it gets the initial 1-2 month use then ends up on the wall in the garage to collect dust (which I sure hope it doesn't), I am out very little money and still have a bike for vacations. If I fall in love with riding, this time next year, I will have a better understanding of what I want and better feeling of dropping a couple thousand on something I know I will use.

Thanks to all and I will keep in touch...