Thoughts/Opinions on Neuvation Wheels?

cucamelsmd15

Apr 6, 2005
So, I was all set on having Mike at oddsandendos build me a set of wheels, but lately, that set of Neuvation M28 Aeros have looked very tempting, and about $125 less than the custom build. Only trade off is about 200g in weight. Any thoughts or opinions?

They are very fast and super quiet. I weigh in at 200 lbs. and after 400 plus miles on them, still perfectly true. They are pretty nice to look at, and you
can't beat the price.
Go for it...

cucamelsmd15 said:
So, I was all set on having Mike at oddsandendos build me a set of wheels, but lately, that set of Neuvation M28 Aeros have looked very tempting, and about $125 less than the custom build. Only trade off is about 200g in weight. Any thoughts or opinions?
Are you comparing these to the 30mm rimmed wheels sold by Mike or the Aeroheads?

53-11 said:
Are you comparing these to the 30mm rimmed wheels sold by Mike or the Aeroheads?
Im comparing them to the Niobium 30's that he sells. The Aeroheads would be closer in weight to the Neuvations. The price he quoted me was for a set of rims with the Niobium 30mm profile.

No direct experience but I've heard of issues with breaking spokes. Do a search on this forum and you might find more, I know this wheelset has been discussed here before. But hooben's experience is an indicator that perhaps they have solved the issue.

M28 aeros are the same as the Supergo Korso and Performance Titan utilizing an Alex rim. While they look like a Mavic Ksyrium knock off, the spokes are more fragile. Now I'm 192 lbs so take that into consiferation. Not knocking the wheel, just could be an issue with a bigger fellow. I got a used rear off eBay to replace a dented Elite. After breaking a few spokes and generally finding them flexy, I relaced the rim to the Elite hub with the K stiffer spokes into a more sturdy FrankenElite wheel.

capwater said:
M28 aeros are the same as the Supergo Korso and Performance Titan utilizing an Alex rim. While they look like a Mavic Ksyrium knock off, the spokes are more fragile. Now I'm 192 lbs so take that into consiferation. Not knocking the wheel, just could be an issue with a bigger fellow. I got a used rear off eBay to replace a dented Elite. After breaking a few spokes and generally finding them flexy, I relaced the rim to the Elite hub with the K stiffer spokes into a more sturdy FrankenElite wheel.
Breaking spokes is what Im most worried about, and Ive read alot of bad things about the Korso/Titan breaking spokes and being generally flexy as well.

I have a bunch of aero/bling wheels, mainly either free or great deals, but if I were getting new wheels that I had to pay for I'd go with a basic Open Pro setup. Great value and durability. Maybe not as sexy as my Ksyriums or Rolf Vigors, but they'll roll well mile after mile.

If breaking spokes is a concern, as it otta be, I'd spend a few more $$ on something like 28-32 hole Open Pro w/ 105 or ultegra hubs vs. the Neuvations/Titans/Korsos.

RC2 said:
If breaking spokes is a concern, as it otta be, I'd spend a few more $$ on something like 28-32 hole Open Pro w/ 105 or ultegra hubs vs. the Neuvations/Titans/Korsos.
I have Mavic's CXP 21's with 32 hole 105 hubs. I need something lighter. These wheels weigh a ton, and Im looking to lose some rotating mass. Last time I checked, these tip the scales at right aroud 2300g for the pair. Also, I dont think it would be as much of an issue with 20f/24r setup that Mike Garcia was going to do for me. Im not an extremely heavy rider, but I can put a a wheel through hell, especially with my tree-trunks-for-legs.:D

OK, you want a solid, low-$$ish wheelset that's proven and won't be a pain in the bum to keep true, break spokes, etc... Mavic OP w/ultegra or DA or even 105, you'll be ~1700g or so, pretty light. Not the coolest wheel in the book, unless you like saving money, reliability, ease of maintenance, etc. Get decent spokes. Not the most "aero", but then again you're not lance. Go get 'em.

I have the korso's and have a 1000+ miles on them and they are still as true as can be. For the price they can't be beat. I have upgraded to a lighter wheelset (xero lite... 1525g) for my road bike. But often wonder if the korso's are better, they are on my flat bar now which is my commuter.

maxo said:
I have the korso's and have a 1000+ miles on them and they are still as true as can be. For the price they can't be beat. I have upgraded to a lighter wheelset (xero lite... 1525g) for my road bike. But often wonder if the korso's are better, they are on my flat bar now which is my commuter.
I had also looked at the Xero XR-1's. What are your thoughts on those?

cucamelsmd15 said:
They have hub problems. Check roadbikereview to see what I'm talking about.

Like I said aftermarket hubs can be either extremely good (better than factory) or very poor.

cucamelsmd15 said:
Im comparing them to the Niobium 30's that he sells. The Aeroheads would be closer in weight to the Neuvations. The price he quoted me was for a set of rims with the Niobium 30mm profile.
I'd get those 30mm Niobium wheels. He doesn't skimp on them either. Notice the spokes he uses are pricey oval spokes.

53-11 said:
I'd get those 30mm Niobium wheels. He doesn't skimp on them either. Notice the spokes he uses are pricey oval spokes.
Those are actually the ones I think Im going to get after reading some bad reviews on the cheaper wheels, and some stellar reviews over at roadbikereview.com for Mike and those specific wheels.

cucamelsmd15 said:
Very light for the money... seem to be stiff and have stayed true for 800 miles so far...

I like `em. I have a set of Rolf Vectors (Treks), and the Neuvations seem more comfortable and more stable in the corners. I'm not sure they're quite as light, but they don't seem heavier....Extraordinarily good for the money.

cucamelsmd15 said:
Those are actually the ones I think Im going to get after reading some bad reviews on the cheaper wheels, and some stellar reviews over at roadbikereview.com for Mike and those specific wheels.
He seems to do a pretty good job considering that he makes these things so light.