Thread size FG 10.5

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Sven Agardh, Jul 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sven Agardh

Sven Agardh Guest

I have damaged the threads on the rear axle of my bike. The thread size is "FG 10.5 mm". Where can
    I find a die of that size? Or is it possible to use a die of another size? Maybe I can use M10x1.0
    or UNF 3/8"?

/Sven

Tags:

2. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

"Sven Agardh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have damaged the threads on the rear axle of my bike. The thread size is "FG 10.5 mm". Where can
    > I find a die of that size? Or is it possible to use a die of another size? Maybe I can use M10x1.0
    > or UNF 3/8"?

To buy a 10.5mm die, start with a machinist's/industrial supply house. A 10mm die will be too small.
    A 3/8" die is worse; 9.525mm. 10.5 falls between
    13/32" and 27/64" so you won't find a workable
    substitute..................................................................
    ............................................................................

If the damage is minor, slitting an axle nut halfway through from the inside makes a thread chaser

If it is more than minor damage, I have to ask what you think will be better by removing _more_
    material from a thread that's already low? Some reason not to replace the axle?

You should make a habit of lubricating axle nut ( actually every fastener) threads

--
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.