Threaded 33mm headset upper cup replacement

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chc Scs, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Chc Scs

    Chc Scs Guest

    I have a bike with an odd sized upper/adjustable headset cup. The bike is a Bianchi "Alaska" MTB
    (late 80's vintage). I bought the bike second hand and have never found any information about it on
    the web but I'd say it was Bianchi's entry level MTB for the North American market.

    Using calipers I measured the wrench flats on the cup as 33mm (the lock nut accepts 32mm). I can't
    find a 33mm headset wrench though I did find that Park Tools once did make them. An adjustable
    wrench won't do the job.

    Is it possible to replace the cup with a more common 32mm cup? I realize more info may be required
    to answer this (such as steerer tube width, thread pattern) but I can't provide that right now since
    I keep the bike out of town for use on weekends.

    Thanks for any help. -Sean

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "chc scs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a bike with an odd sized upper/adjustable headset cup. The bike is
    > Bianchi "Alaska" MTB (late 80's vintage). I bought the bike second hand
    and
    > have never found any information about it on the web but I'd say it was Bianchi's entry level MTB
    > for the North American market.
    >
    > Using calipers I measured the wrench flats on the cup as 33mm (the lock
    nut
    > accepts 32mm). I can't find a 33mm headset wrench though I did find that Park Tools once did make
    > them. An adjustable wrench won't do the job.
    >
    > Is it possible to replace the cup with a more common 32mm cup? I realize more info may be required
    > to answer this (such as steerer tube width,
    thread
    > pattern) but I can't provide that right now since I keep the bike out of town for use on weekends.

    Yes you could just buy a standard $10 headset* which would solve your immediate problem (and on a
    fifteen year old bike, potentially others). But I have to ask why wouldn't a large adjustable wrench
    span 33mm?? And can't your LBS just adjust and lock it for $1 or so? I mean, this is after all just
    a headset adjustment- not some liquid oxygen control valve on the Mars Lander.

    IIRC that bike's a JIS type headset- one inch thread but the bores are 30.0 not 30.2 and the crown
    similarly 27.1 not 26.4)

  3. Chc Scs

    Chc Scs Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Yes you could just buy a standard $10 headset* which would solve your immediate problem (and on a
    > fifteen year old bike, potentially others). But I have to ask why wouldn't a large adjustable
    > wrench span 33mm?? And can't your LBS just adjust and lock it for $1 or so? I mean, this is
    after
    > all just a headset adjustment- not some liquid oxygen control valve on the Mars Lander.
    >
    > IIRC that bike's a JIS type headset- one inch thread but the bores are
    30.0
    > not 30.2 and the crown similarly 27.1 not 26.4)
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

    Thanks for the info. I can't use an adjustable wrench on the cup because there isn't room for it.
    The brake cable hanger doesn't allow a fat adjustable wrench though I have adjusted the cup with the
    wrench by raising the lock nut and hanger. I just couldn't hold the cup in place while locking
    it. As for taking it to my LBS, I guess that would be too easy. -Sean

  4. On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:40:34 -0400, "chc scs" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks for the info. I can't use an adjustable wrench on the cup because there isn't room for it.
    >The brake cable hanger doesn't allow a fat adjustable wrench though I have adjusted the cup with
    >the wrench by raising the lock nut and hanger. I just couldn't hold the cup in place while locking
    >it. As for taking it to my LBS, I guess that would be too easy.

    Most of the headsets on 'classic' style citybikes here don't have any flats on the adjustable race,
    it's just knurled for movement by hand. If the fixed rings between the race and the locknut are
    properly in place, you shouldn't need to hold the race with a wrench to lock it up properly.

    Jasper