Threaded fork and headset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Doug williams, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Doug williams

Doug williams New Member

I have a Giant OCR1 which has a threaded fork/headset. I want to replace it with a carbon fork. Is there any way that I can use a threadless fork in my frame? I remember reading somewhere that you can buy an adaptor to convert a threaded headset to threadless.

Tags:

2. PSR

PSR New Member

FInd out what diameter the head tube on your bike is (1" or 1 1/8"). get a fork with a steer-tube that matches that diameter and the find a quality threadless headset to replace the threaded headset in your current frame.

Outside of filing the threads off the threaded headset (like U.S. Postal used to do on their frames before Chris King sponsored them), I'm not aware of another way to make threaded headsets work with threadless forks. Besides, you can pick up a Cane Creek S2 for like $60 - And I'm pretty confident that your LBS will not want to file the threads off your headset - it's time consuming and imperfect. You'd pay more in labor and get a lower quality solution than going completely threadless.

3. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Yes all you need is a threadless headset, stem, and of course a fork.

4. bobobg

bobobg New Member

Chris King makes a threaded to unthreaded adapter for their headsets. Check it out at Colorado cyclist.