Threaded Forks -> unthreaded Forks

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by John90210, Apr 8, 2006.

1. John90210

John90210 New Member

Hope somebody can reply to this soon - need an answer before I go and bid on some forks on ebay.

I have threaded forks with a quill stem. To put in unthread forks do I just take out the quill stem, take out the forks and put the new ones in?

I know that I'll need a headset and stem but is there anything in the frame that will need to be taken out.

What is it that the forks screw into?

Is it even possible to do this?

Tags:

2. hedgehog

hedgehog New Member

I'm not an expert but it worked fine when I converted mine. I bought the same size ahead set and everything fit fine. For me the bearings fit in the same cups.

You may want to use the new cups (if they come with the headset)... you'll probably have to get a bikeshop to press those in.

Make sure the forks you're considering have a long enough steerer tube, unless it's new and 'uncut'.

3. John90210

John90210 New Member

Ah good, knowing it worked for you makes me less nervous about bidding on some forks on ebay later that I dont know will definetly fit lol

How about checking if I currently have 1" or 1" 1/8...the forks I'm hopefully getting are 1" 1/8, so is it possible, if I currently have 1" to fit 1" 1/8.

Is there any special part that can be used to do this?

4. hedgehog

hedgehog New Member

I doubt that it's 1" but if it is you may have problems installing a 1 1/8 headset, you'd have to get the new cups pressed in for sure... assuming they'd even fit in the head tube, can't tell you if that'd work or not.

5. John90210

John90210 New Member

It's looking good.

Ordered my new forks off off the interweb, Rock Shox J3 new.

The mechanic at my LBS seems to think there will not be a problem and that there will not be a problem so now I just wait and hope that when I get my bike back from him the old forks won't still be on it!

Thanks all, John.