threaded quill stem to threadless

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by BrandonParry, Apr 5, 2007.

1. BrandonParry

BrandonParry New Member

I have an older cannondale r500 road bike and it has a 1" threaded headset with a quill stem. Can it be switched out for a 1 1/8 threadless so I can use a 1 1/8 threadless fork? Or do I need to keep it 1" and just switch to 1" threadless headset and a 1" threadless fork?

Tags:

2. Slugster438

Slugster438 New Member

You don't need to change the fork, there's adaptors you can get...They have a quill on the bottom, but the top is "threadless" to accept threadless stems.
    You can get them for both sizes threaded headsets.
    I got this one, and just put it on one of my bikes yesterday, matter of fact.
    I don't know how heavy-duty it really is, but I wouldn't be pounding a 1" headset bike too hard anyway.

[edit]
    And really, $20 isn't even the cheapest they're priced--Nashbar has one for $10. As it happened, I wanted a number of items Performance had, and I didn't want to bother ordering just one part from somewhere else.
    ~

3. John M

John M New Member

Unless you need a new fork, there is no functional reason to switch to threadless. The threaded weigh a little more but work just as well. If you need a different size stem, threaded are still available but as suggested you can use a quill adapter with a threadless stem. If you do need a new fork, there are a variety of high quality threadless 1" forks/headsets available. In fact you can find a replacement threaded fork as well. These days there are not so many 1" threadless stems around, but you can easily use a 1 1/8" threadless stem with an adapter for 1" diameter steerer fork--I do on my time-trial bike with no problems.

A 1" diameter steering tube/headset is plenty strong for road riding. I would disregard that comment about not pounding a 1", whatever that means in the first place.

4. BrandonParry

BrandonParry New Member

the reason for switching to threadless would be to use a carbon fork. I have found several carbon forks for a 1 1/8 threadless but didn't think that would work unless I switched the headset and stem but I guess I am wondering is I can switch to 1 1/8 from 1" if not I will most likely have to just track down a 1" threaded carbon fork some how.

5. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

The steerer on a 1 1/8" fork is too large for the headtube of a frame which was designed to use a fork with a 1" steerer.

A carbon fork won't ride any differently than a quality steel fork (not all steel forks are created equally) ... some carbon forks may provide a worse ride!

While your bike will be lighter with a carbon fiber fork than with a steel fork, unless your current fork is aluminum, think of the change as being mostly cosmetic [THAT is a good enough reason, BTW] with a slight side benefit of less weight [another good reason] ... but, most carbon fiber forks do not have fender eyelets on/near the dropouts, so ...

6. John M

John M New Member

You need 1" because the 1 1/8" won't fit in your frame.

Lots of 1" threadless carbon forks on eBay, in fact easier to find than 1" threaded (although they are out there). You are correct in your observations that 1 1/8 is easier to find since almost all new bikes are made with that size.

7. BrandonParry

BrandonParry New Member

so I would need a 1" threadless fork a 1" threadless headset and a 1" stem or I could do a 1" threaded fork and just stay with my current headset and quill stem right?

8. HammerHead

HammerHead New Member

I just went thru this whole thing. I wanted to update my old steel bike I use as a winter bike. Had a 1" threaded fork. The other poster is correct about needing a 1" fork, the head tube of my frame was not wide enough to accept a 1 1/8". Having said that, I found a 1" full carbon fork (legs, crown and steerer) on ebay for around $130. Not bad, and over a half pound lighter. I had to change the headset, which was no big deal. I also just used a 1 1/8" stem with a sleeve for a 1" steer tube. The link below is to the fork I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FORK-BIKE-700C-...hZ006QQcategoryZ56196QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

9. John M

John M New Member

Yes to with 1" threaded and staying with current headset and stem. If you go the 1" threadless route, you may need to use a 1 1/8" stem with a shim for 1" steerer as 1" stems are getting harder to find (not impossible to find, just harder).