threaded steerer length

Baltobernie

Guest
Is there a way to measure steerer length without
disassembly? The bicycle in question is a road bike with a
Record headset.

Bernie

baltobernie wrote:

> Is there a way to measure steerer length without
> disassembly? The bicycle in question is a road bike with a
> Record headset.
>
> Bernie

A pair of dividers from a child's drawing set should work.
Of course you'll have to unscrew the top nut of the headset
to see where the steerer actually stops.

Is that what you mean?

/Robert

Someone asked:

> Is there a way to measure steerer length without
> disassembly? The bicycle in question is a road bike with a
> Record headset.

Sure, just hold a ruler up against the side of the head
tube. The bottom of the ruler goes level with the bottom of
the fork crown race, estimate where inside the headset
locknut the steerer ends.

Sheldon "High Precision Is Not Needed For This" Brown
+-----------------------------------------------------
---------+
| If you don't like yourself, you _can't_ like other people
| | --Robert A. Heinlein |
---+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find
parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

OK, thanks guys. Looks like 193mm, and I removed the stem to
make sure.

The Campy "instruction booklet" I received with the group
talks about races and and bearings like an old Rodale
maintenance book I have. But I thought this headset, like
the rest of the group, has cartridge bearings. There are no
part numbers on the headset, purchased in 1995. Bottom line:
If all I need to replace the fork is a pair of 32mm
wrenches, I'm going to do it myself. Otherwise, its going to
the shop. Any suggestions?

Bernie

BTW, do you have an opinion on the Easton EA30 carbon fork?

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Sure, just hold a ruler up against the side of the head
> tube. The bottom of the ruler goes level with the bottom
> of the fork crown race, estimate where inside the headset
> locknut the steerer ends.

Or pull the stem out and have a look where the steerer
ends. There are usually two or three threads unengaged on
the locknut.