Threaded to Threadless stem adapter question...

cheetah8799

Jul 16, 2004
So here's the deal. I have decided I'm going to upgrade the handlebars on my Trek Y-Foil. There are some nice carbon bars I like, but they require a 31.8mm clamp size stem and my stem won't work. I can't find anyone selling a threaded stem that fits that size. So basically I think I need to buy a threaded to threadless adapter for my fork, then a threadless stem that will fit the bars...

I'm currently looking at the one that Nashbar sells, though I don't know what it weighs. :( link

Has anyone here had experience with this? Any major issues you encountered that I should be aware of? Are there better adapters to do this? I only saw a couple on EBay, and the one at Nashbar.

edit: looks like PerformanceBike does have one listed under their mountain bike section. :/ link

I bought the Nashbar one for my son's bike. It seems well made and works well but it is heavy. Sorry I don't know how much but as soon as I picked it up I thought - geez this thing is over weight.

I think the Performance one is the same as the Nashbar. I'd look for the Cinelli like Boudreaux mentioned.

I did see the Cinelli one on EBay and I think I saw it on another web site. The ebay auction claimed 75g, which is pretty good I think. I'll have to do some more digging I think. I really don't want a big heavy adapter...

edit: found Cinelli's web site showing it: link

lumpy said:
I bought the Nashbar one for my son's bike. It seems well made and works well but it is heavy. Sorry I don't know how much but as soon as I picked it up I thought - geez this thing is over weight.

I think the Performance one is the same as the Nashbar. I'd look for the Cinelli like Boudreaux mentioned.

Got one off Colorado Cyclist's web site a few years back for an older tri bike. No problem. Think it ran about $20.

cheetah8799 said:
I did see the Cinelli one on EBay and I think I saw it on another web site. The ebay auction claimed 75g, which is pretty good I think. I'll have to do some more digging I think. I really don't want a big heavy adapter...

edit: found Cinelli's web site showing it: link

If weight is a that much of a concern, perhaps you should change your bar choice.

The adapters will work, but no matter what you use, it will be quite a bit heavier than the lightest threadless system. You will get a lighter set-up on your older bike by using a lightweight quill stem and compromising by using a 26.0 diameter bar.