Threading cables through internal stops

David Kerber

Guest
I recently acquired a used Cervelo P2K frame, which has internal cable
runs inside the top tube. However, as I was starting to assemble it, I
discovered that the section of cable casing that runs inside the top
tube had come out of its place at the holes and was sliding around
inside the top tube.

I had no trouble removing the casing from the tube and verifying that
there was nothing wrong with it, and that there's nothing else loose
inside the frame.

However, what is the trick for getting this (or a replacement) cable
housing back in place? I imagine I could come up with something which
would require a ton of trial and error to get the end of the cable
through the holes, but was hoping there was some special technique
somebody could describe or point me to, to help me along.

Googling turned up information that it is not supposed to be difficult
to service, but had no details.

newsgroups if possible).

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:31:30 -0400, David Kerber
<ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote:

>I recently acquired a used Cervelo P2K frame, which has internal cable
>runs inside the top tube. However, as I was starting to assemble it, I
>discovered that the section of cable casing that runs inside the top
>tube had come out of its place at the holes and was sliding around
>inside the top tube.
>
>I had no trouble removing the casing from the tube and verifying that
>there was nothing wrong with it, and that there's nothing else loose
>inside the frame.
>
>However, what is the trick for getting this (or a replacement) cable
>housing back in place? I imagine I could come up with something which
>would require a ton of trial and error to get the end of the cable
>through the holes, but was hoping there was some special technique
>somebody could describe or point me to, to help me along.
>
>Googling turned up information that it is not supposed to be difficult
>to service, but had no details.

Dear David,

Tape a long thread to the end of a bare wire cable.

Push the wire through the frame and past the exit hole.

Fish through the exit hole with a small wire hook, snag the thread,
and pull it out the exit hole.

(You can make the hook out of a single strand of cable wire.)

Use the thread to guide the wire out the exit hole.

It's much easier to coax the end of the cable through the hole if the
thread is taped so that it comes off the end of the cable:

___thread_______
\
_______/
/////////TTTT
wire tape

Run the cable housing over the wire and then push it through the
frame.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:31:30 -0400, David Kerber
> <ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote:
>
> >I recently acquired a used Cervelo P2K frame, which has internal cable
> >runs inside the top tube. However, as I was starting to assemble it, I
> >discovered that the section of cable casing that runs inside the top
> >tube had come out of its place at the holes and was sliding around
> >inside the top tube.
> >
> >I had no trouble removing the casing from the tube and verifying that
> >there was nothing wrong with it, and that there's nothing else loose
> >inside the frame.
> >
> >However, what is the trick for getting this (or a replacement) cable
> >housing back in place? I imagine I could come up with something which
> >would require a ton of trial and error to get the end of the cable
> >through the holes, but was hoping there was some special technique
> >somebody could describe or point me to, to help me along.
> >
> >Googling turned up information that it is not supposed to be difficult
> >to service, but had no details.

> Dear David,
>
> Tape a long thread to the end of a bare wire cable.
>
> Push the wire through the frame and past the exit hole.
>
> Fish through the exit hole with a small wire hook, snag the thread,
> and pull it out the exit hole.
>
> (You can make the hook out of a single strand of cable wire.)
>
> Use the thread to guide the wire out the exit hole.
>
> It's much easier to coax the end of the cable through the hole if the
> thread is taped so that it comes off the end of the cable:
>
> ___thread_______
> \
> _______/
> /////////TTTT
> wire tape
>
> Run the cable housing over the wire and then push it through the
> frame.

That's sort of what I was thinking of, but thanks for confirming and
filling in the details!

newsgroups if possible).

On Apr 1, 9:31 pm, David Kerber
<ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote:
> I recently acquired a used Cervelo P2K frame, which has internal cable
> runs inside the top tube.  However, as I was starting to assemble it, I
> discovered that the section of cable casing that runs inside the top
> tube had come out of its place at the holes and was sliding around
> inside the top tube.
>
> I had no trouble removing the casing from the tube and verifying that
> there was nothing wrong with it, and that there's nothing else loose
> inside the frame.
>
> However, what is the trick for getting this (or a replacement) cable
> housing back in place?  I imagine I could come up with something which
> would require a ton of trial and error to get the end of the cable
> through the holes, but was hoping there was some special technique
> somebody could describe or point me to, to help me along.
>
> Googling turned up information that it is not supposed to be difficult
> to service, but had no details.
>
> --
> Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
> newsgroups if possible).

I've used the threaded end of a spoke to grab a housing by poking the
spoke into the end of the casing as it came near the hole in the frame
while feeding the housing through from the other side. Use your mouth
to hold the flashlight!

Joseph

In article <[email protected]>,
David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote:

> I recently acquired a used Cervelo P2K frame, which has internal cable
> runs inside the top tube. However, as I was starting to assemble it, I
> discovered that the section of cable casing that runs inside the top
> tube had come out of its place at the holes and was sliding around
> inside the top tube.
>
> I had no trouble removing the casing from the tube and verifying that
> there was nothing wrong with it, and that there's nothing else loose
> inside the frame.
>
> However, what is the trick for getting this (or a replacement) cable
> housing back in place? I imagine I could come up with something which
> would require a ton of trial and error to get the end of the cable
> through the holes, but was hoping there was some special technique
> somebody could describe or point me to, to help me along.
>
> Googling turned up information that it is not supposed to be difficult
> to service, but had no details.

My first attempt.

* Put top tube vertical in a bicycle work stand.
* Drop dental floss and a small weight into top hole.
* Flashlight and tweezers (or clamp hemostat)
at the other top tube hole.
* Grab dental floss.

--
Michael Press

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:20:46 -0400, David Kerber
<ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>[email protected] says...
>> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:31:30 -0400, David Kerber
>> <ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I recently acquired a used Cervelo P2K frame, which has internal cable
>> >runs inside the top tube. However, as I was starting to assemble it, I
>> >discovered that the section of cable casing that runs inside the top
>> >tube had come out of its place at the holes and was sliding around
>> >inside the top tube.
>> >
>> >I had no trouble removing the casing from the tube and verifying that
>> >there was nothing wrong with it, and that there's nothing else loose
>> >inside the frame.
>> >
>> >However, what is the trick for getting this (or a replacement) cable
>> >housing back in place? I imagine I could come up with something which
>> >would require a ton of trial and error to get the end of the cable
>> >through the holes, but was hoping there was some special technique
>> >somebody could describe or point me to, to help me along.
>> >
>> >Googling turned up information that it is not supposed to be difficult
>> >to service, but had no details.

>> Dear David,
>>
>> Tape a long thread to the end of a bare wire cable.
>>
>> Push the wire through the frame and past the exit hole.
>>
>> Fish through the exit hole with a small wire hook, snag the thread,
>> and pull it out the exit hole.
>>
>> (You can make the hook out of a single strand of cable wire.)
>>
>> Use the thread to guide the wire out the exit hole.
>>
>> It's much easier to coax the end of the cable through the hole if the
>> thread is taped so that it comes off the end of the cable:
>>
>> ___thread_______
>> \
>> _______/
>> /////////TTTT
>> wire tape
>>
>> Run the cable housing over the wire and then push it through the
>> frame.

>That's sort of what I was thinking of, but thanks for confirming and
>filling in the details!

If it's more convenient you can use a vacuum cleaner to get the thread into the
exit hole.

Ron

RonSonic wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:20:46 -0400, David Kerber
> <ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] says...

>>> Dear David,
>>>
>>> Tape a long thread to the end of a bare wire cable.
>>>
>>> Push the wire through the frame and past the exit hole.
>>>
>>> Fish through the exit hole with a small wire hook, snag the thread,
>>> and pull it out the exit hole.
>>>
>>> (You can make the hook out of a single strand of cable wire.)
>>>
>>> Use the thread to guide the wire out the exit hole.
>>>
>>> It's much easier to coax the end of the cable through the hole if the
>>> thread is taped so that it comes off the end of the cable:
>>>
>>> ___thread_______
>>> \
>>> _______/
>>> /////////TTTT
>>> wire tape
>>>
>>> Run the cable housing over the wire and then push it through the
>>> frame.

>> That's sort of what I was thinking of, but thanks for confirming and
>> filling in the details!

> If it's more convenient you can use a vacuum cleaner to get the thread into the
> exit hole.

That idea sucks! ;)

[rimshot]

On Apr 1, 1:20 pm, David Kerber
<ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>

> > On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:31:30 -0400, David Kerber
> > <ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote:

> > >I recently acquired a used Cervelo P2K frame, which has internal cable
> > >runs inside the top tube.  However, as I was starting to assemble it,I
> > >discovered that the section of cable casing that runs inside the top
> > >tube had come out of its place at the holes and was sliding around
> > >inside the top tube.

> > >I had no trouble removing the casing from the tube and verifying that
> > >there was nothing wrong with it, and that there's nothing else loose
> > >inside the frame.

> > >However, what is the trick for getting this (or a replacement) cable
> > >housing back in place?  I imagine I could come up with something which
> > >would require a ton of trial and error to get the end of the cable
> > >through the holes, but was hoping there was some special technique
> > >somebody could describe or point me to, to help me along.

> > >Googling turned up information that it is not supposed to be difficult
> > >to service, but had no details.

> > Dear David,

> > Tape a long thread to the end of a bare wire cable.

> > Push the wire through the frame and past the exit hole.

> > Fish through the exit hole with a small wire hook, snag the thread,
> > and pull it out the exit hole.

> > (You can make the hook out of a single strand of cable wire.)

> > Use the thread to guide the wire out the exit hole.

> > It's much easier to coax the end of the cable through the hole if the
> > thread is taped so that it comes off the end of the cable:

> >   ___thread_______
> >                   \
> >            _______/
> >   /////////TTTT
> >   wire      tape

> > Run the cable housing over the wire and then push it through the
> > frame.

> That's sort of what I was thinking of, but thanks for confirming and
> filling in the details!

The problem with using thread is that it isn't very strong.
Most of the time it's okay. It's not so much that the cable
might get caught on a run and break the thread. Rather,
the problem is that you can't use thread to strangle people
who think internal cable routing is a good idea; you
need to use monofilament line, at least.

Ben
A good mechanic cures the disease rather than
the symptom.