Threading of threadless fork?

Jesper Rasmusse

Guest
Hi!

I'm looking for a rigid threaded 1" fork for my old Klein Pinnacle but unfortunately they are not
easy to find :eek:( Would it be possible to buy a 1" aheadset fork and have threads cut into the
steerer and use instead? I'll prefer not having to replace my headset as it is a very nice Syncros
Hardcore from "back then" ;o)

--
/Jesper

Mail sent to "From address" will not be read! Use "news(at)jronline(dot)dk"

check www.ebay.com as they have some to choose from and your local bike shop should have tools to do
the job right if you cannot find one.

berlin.de...

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:39:25 GMT, mrbubl wrote:

> check www.ebay.com as they have some to choose from and your local bike shop should have tools to
> do the job right if you cannot find one.

Is this a "Yes you can get a threadless fork and have it threaded" answer?

I'm in Denmark, Europe, and unfortunately the selection of used (or new) 1" forks isn't as wide as
in the US :eek:( and buying one off ebay isn't realistic be cause of the shipping fees...

--
/Jesper

Mail sent to "From address" will not be read! Use "news(at)jronline(dot)dk"

> I'm looking for a rigid threaded 1" fork for my old Klein Pinnacle but unfortunately they are not
> easy to find :eek:( Would it be possible to buy a 1" aheadset fork and have threads cut into the
> steerer and use instead? I'll prefer not having to replace my headset as it is a very nice Syncros
> Hardcore from "back then" ;o)
>
> --
> /Jesper

Well, anything is possible. I'd be careful since it seems as though a lot of forks are made with
aluminum steerer tubes now. That would make for easy thread cutting, but I don't think it would last
too long. I'd probably just drop some money on a headset from "now".

If you post to rec.bicycles.tech you'll probably get more answers on this.

-Derek

Jesper Rasmussen <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm looking for a rigid threaded 1" fork for my old Klein Pinnacle but unfortunately they are not
>easy to find :eek:( Would it be possible to buy a 1" aheadset fork and have threads cut into the
>steerer and use instead? I'll prefer not having to replace my headset as it is a very nice Syncros
>Hardcore from "back then" ;o)

You'll have to be careful for a variety of reasons (some financial, some dental...).

1) Not all threadless steer tubes have the same inside diameter as a threaded steer tube. If this is
the case, your stem won't go in.
2) Cutting threads in a virgin steer tube is difficult, particularly starting them straight. You
might end up with a hosed up fork.
3) It's possible that the steer tube will be weakened by the cutting process, and that a stress
riser (place where normal stresses are concentrated to a dangerous level) will be formed. This
would be a Bad Thing[tm]

There should be a LOT of old 1" rigid forks out there in the dusty corners of bike shops, since a
LOT of older MTBs with 1" head tubes were shipped with rigid forks and upgraded to shock forks.
Ask around
- I'll bet you find one.

OR you can buy a new Tange "Basic Mountain Fork" in a 1" threaded version for under $50! That would
probably be the way to go.

> Hi!
>
> I'm looking for a rigid threaded 1" fork for my old Klein Pinnacle but unfortunately they are not
> easy to find :eek:( Would it be possible to buy a 1" aheadset fork and have threads cut into the
> steerer and use instead? I'll prefer not having to replace my headset as it is a very nice Syncros
> Hardcore from "back then" ;o)

No you can't, at least not safely. The walls are usually thinner and the inside diameter is not
right for a "wedgie" stem to clamp securely.
--
_________________________

"Jesper Rasmussen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi!
>
> I'm looking for a rigid threaded 1" fork for my old Klein Pinnacle but unfortunately they are not
> easy to find :eek:( Would it be possible to buy a 1" aheadset fork and have threads cut into the
> steerer and use instead? I'll prefer not having to replace my headset as it is a very nice Syncros
> Hardcore from "back then" ;o)

It's much easier to take the thread off the headset. I bought an XT headset with the thread already
removed, I then had the situation where I wanted to be able to switch forks very quickly with
another bike but the only compatible headsets were for threaded steerers. I bought an STX threaded
headset and just slowly and carefully ground the thread out. Seems to work fine.

Thanks for the replies guys!

You all have some very good points for not threading a threadless fork so I'll just get a used
threaded one. And yes - there should be a lot of them out there.