Threading Problem with Pedal

Novatian

Mar 16, 2011
Hi, I have an MTB and a pedal broke, the replacement with not thread in, but at an odd angle. Need I use a conical file or the likes to fix this? What can I do?

Did you get the correct pedal, and are you trying to thread it in the correct direction? L and R pedals have opposite thread twists.

Jason

Yes Right hand pedal = right hand thread. Left hand pedal = left hand thread.

A conical file will only remove the thread, not fix it.

As a first port of call I would try to get it re-tapped. Otherwise it is helicoil time....
In either case you're best off going to a bike shop.

I tried putting the original right pedal back on, it also goes at an angle, I was thinking that the initial thread is damaged.

The damaged old right pedal, will not thread in the old part. I am thinking the thread just at the entrance is damaged.

Originally Posted by Novatian .

The damaged old right pedal, will not thread in the old part. I am thinking the thread just at the entrance is damaged.

You might be able to get a shop to re thread the crank.

Originally Posted by Novatian .

I have an MTB and a pedal broke, the replacement with not thread in, but at an odd angle. Need I use a conical file or the likes to fix this? What can I do?
Is there ANY possibility that the OLD pedal ([COLOR= #808080]and crank[/COLOR]) has a different thread size than your NEW pedal's thread size?

• that is, 1/2" for the old spindle vs. 9/16" fo the new spindle? [COLOR= #ff0000] Hold the ends of the old & new pedals end-to-end for a quick visual comparison.[/COLOR]

If so, you will need a different set of pedals OR a different crankset.