threadless fork and headset

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Eric Mok, Jun 4, 2003.

  1. Eric Mok

    Eric Mok Guest

    Hi,

    I have a 96' Kona Kula that equipped with old style threaded headset, stem and suspension fork.
    Is it possible to replace all these components to threadless counterpart without replacing my
    frame as well?

    Eric

    Tags:

  2. Yes,

    "Eric Mok" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 96' Kona Kula that equipped with old style threaded headset, stem and suspension fork. Is
    > it possible to replace all these components to threadless counterpart without replacing my frame
    > as well?
    >
    > Eric

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  4. Eric Mok

    Eric Mok Guest

    Bomba, I might be wrong with the year but I'm sure it is a threaded one. Oh I didn't realize that my
    bike is already so old. Do you have any input?

    Eric

    > Eric Mok wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a 96' Kona Kula that equipped with old style threaded headset,
    stem
    > > and suspension fork. Is it possible to replace all these components to threadless counterpart
    > > without replacing my frame as well?
    >
    > '96 Konas came with threadless headsets...
    >
    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Eric Mok <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Bomba, I might be wrong with the year but I'm sure it is a threaded one.
    Oh
    > I didn't realize that my bike is already so old. Do you have any input?
    >
    > Eric

    If the bike definitely has a threaded headset, it's gonna be a 1 inch (as far as I know - never
    heard of bigger than that coming threaded - anyone?).

    You can likely buy 1 inch threaded headsets easily enough, but _suspension_ forks with the
    matching 1 inch threaded steerer tube are going to be harder to come by, although I do know
    Marzocchi make them. If you are looking at a 1 inch threadless steerer rigid fork, you'll have an
    easier time of it.

    This is all the info I have, and it may be far from complete - hope it helps nevertheless.

    Shaun aRe

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Eric Mok wrote:
    > Bomba, I might be wrong with the year but I'm sure it is a threaded one. Oh I didn't realize that
    > my bike is already so old. Do you have any input?

    I'm trying to remember when my first Kona was from (possibly '95?) and that came with threadless.

    As for switching, you've most likely got a 1" headset, so you normally would need a 1" threadless
    headset and steerer. AFAIAA, they're hard but not impossible to come by.

  7. On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 12:01:56 +0100, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:

    > If the bike definitely has a threaded headset, it's gonna be a 1 inch (as far as I know - never
    > heard of bigger than that coming threaded - anyone?).

    Bzzzzzzzzzt. Wrong.

    You can get 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" threaded headsets.

    Huw "Large nuts" Pritchard

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    >>Bomba, I might be wrong with the year but I'm sure it is a threaded one.
    >
    > Oh
    >
    >>I didn't realize that my bike is already so old. Do you have any input?
    >>
    >>Eric
    >

    > If the bike definitely has a threaded headset, it's gonna be a 1 inch (as far as I know - never
    > heard of bigger than that coming threaded - anyone?).

    I'm sure in the transition period, there were 1 1/8" threaded headsets, although it might just be my
    imagination.

    > You can likely buy 1 inch threaded headsets easily enough, but _suspension_ forks with the
    > matching 1 inch threaded steerer tube are going to be harder to come by, although I do know
    > Marzocchi make them. If you are looking at a 1 inch threadless steerer rigid fork, you'll have an
    > easier time of it.
    >
    > This is all the info I have, and it may be far from complete - hope it helps nevertheless.

    Stock answer, but he already has a 1" threaded headset and fork - he was asking about switching to
    threadless.

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 12:01:56 +0100, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:
    >
    > > If the bike definitely has a threaded headset, it's gonna be a 1 inch
    (as
    > > far as I know - never heard of bigger than that coming threaded - anyone?).
    >
    > Bzzzzzzzzzt. Wrong.

    I wasn't wrong - I didn't know for sure, hence the carefully used qualifiers 'as far as I know' and
    ' never heard of bigger', and me asking if 'anyone?' knew for sure. I also said 'This is all the
    info I have, and it may be far from complete'. Oh, 'ner!'.

    > You can get 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" threaded headsets.

    Thankyou for clarifying the matter, as I politely requested. ',;~P```````````

    > Huw "Large nuts" Pritchard

    A load of big bollocks more like, heheheheh...........

    Shaun aRe - bloody foreigners.

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > >>Bomba, I might be wrong with the year but I'm sure it is a threaded one.
    > >
    > > Oh
    > >
    > >>I didn't realize that my bike is already so old. Do you have any input?
    > >>
    > >>Eric
    > >

    > > If the bike definitely has a threaded headset, it's gonna be a 1 inch
    (as
    > > far as I know - never heard of bigger than that coming threaded -
    anyone?).

    > I'm sure in the transition period, there were 1 1/8" threaded headsets, although it might just be
    > my imagination.

    Cheers - I wasn't sure, just knew I hadn't heard.

    > > You can likely buy 1 inch threaded headsets easily enough, but
    _suspension_
    > > forks with the matching 1 inch threaded steerer tube are going to be
    harder
    > > to come by, although I do know Marzocchi make them. If you are looking
    at a
    > > 1 inch threadless steerer rigid fork, you'll have an easier time of it.
    > >
    > > This is all the info I have, and it may be far from complete - hope it
    helps
    > > nevertheless.
    >
    > Stock answer,

    Indeed.

    > but he already has a 1" threaded headset and fork - he was asking about switching to threadless.

    And that's where I'd typo'd - meant to write 'threadless', I did - 'd'oh' and all that.
    Bollox.......

    Cheers!

    Shaun aRe

  11. Eric Mok

    Eric Mok Guest

    Do you imply that it is IMPOSSIBLE (or impractical) to fit an 1-1/8" threadless headset and fork in
    my existing frame?

    > Eric Mok wrote:
    > > Bomba, I might be wrong with the year but I'm sure it is a threaded one.
    Oh
    > > I didn't realize that my bike is already so old. Do you have any input?
    >
    > I'm trying to remember when my first Kona was from (possibly '95?) and that came with threadless.
    >
    > As for switching, you've most likely got a 1" headset, so you normally would need a 1" threadless
    > headset and steerer. AFAIAA, they're hard but not impossible to come by.

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Eric Mok <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Do you imply that it is IMPOSSIBLE (or impractical) to fit an 1-1/8" threadless headset and fork
    > in my existing frame?

    Does your existing frame have a 1 inch headset, or a 1-1/8 inch? You can tell by measuring the
    steerer tube on your existing fork - if it's an inch in diameter, you are outa luck for fitting a
    1-1/8" (IMPOSSIBLE), if the steerer tube has a diameter of 1-1/8", then you will have no bother.

    Shaun aRe - Size matters.

  13. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    > Eric Mok <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Bomba, I might be wrong with the year but I'm sure it is a threaded one.
    > Oh
    > > I didn't realize that my bike is already so old. Do you have any input?
    > >
    > > Eric
    >
    > If the bike definitely has a threaded headset, it's gonna be a 1 inch (as far as I know - never
    > heard of bigger than that coming threaded - anyone?).

    <snip>

    There were/are threaded headsets in sizes larger than 1 inch. 1 1/8 Avenger (Tioga), and 1 1/4
    Evolution (Fisher) were very common in the late 80's and early 90's. As threadless systems began to
    take over the lines, 1 1/8 threaded continued to be used ... but each year they were spec'd on lower
    price point bicycles. 1 1/8 threaded headsets remained relatively common for quite some time in some
    markets, like (unsuspended) tandems.

    If the original poster has a 1/18 threaded headset, and wants to change out the fork for a newer
    model, then he is going to need: A new threadless headset, a new stem, and a new fork. If the bike
    is from 1996 then it was probably designed for a fork with ~63mm of travel. If he sticks to a 80mm
    travel fork, he will most likely not have any handling problem. Funny thing about the increase in
    overall travel ... as travel has increased so has sag.

  14. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:49:38 +0800, Eric Mok wrote:

    > I have a 96' Kona Kula that equipped with old style threaded headset, stem and suspension fork. Is
    > it possible to replace all these components to threadless counterpart without replacing my frame
    > as well?

    My '94 Marin had a 1 1/8" threaded headset; don't know about the Konas. If your headset is that
    size, its not too terribly difficult to replace all that stuff.

    If you have a cantilever brake, it'll have to go as well (the new forks don't have hangers). This
    also means you either have to replace the brake lever (and possibly shifter if its all one piece),
    or get one of those cam things to make a v-brake work with an old lever (though they seem like a
    jury-rig to me and I'm not sure I'd want one on a front brake).

  15. Eric Mok

    Eric Mok Guest

    I think I have an 1" fork and threaded headset. Do I have to take out the fork to measure it?

    > Eric Mok <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Do you imply that it is IMPOSSIBLE (or impractical) to fit an 1-1/8" threadless headset and fork
    > > in my existing frame?
    >
    > Does your existing frame have a 1 inch headset, or a 1-1/8 inch? You can tell by measuring the
    > steerer tube on your existing fork - if it's an inch in diameter, you are outa luck for fitting a
    > 1-1/8" (IMPOSSIBLE), if the steerer tube has a diameter of 1-1/8", then you will have no bother.
    >

    > Shaun aRe - Size matters.

  16. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Eric Mok wrote:
    > I think I have an 1" fork and threaded headset. Do I have to take out the fork to measure it?

    If you're lucky, it'll have it printed somewhere on the headset, if not, yes, you'll have to pull
    it apart. Alternatively, just take it in to your LBS - they'll be able to tell you just by
    looking at it.

  17. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    "Eric Mok" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I think I have an 1" fork and threaded headset. Do I have to take out the fork to measure it?

    Just pull the stem. There should be a size stamped into the stem somewhere just below the minimum
    insertion mark (not all companies mark there stems, but most). If it says 22.2 you have a 1" fork.
    There are some other odd sized stems out there, 22.0 (left over french) and .833 (left over BMX),
    but most mountain bikes with a 1" threaded fork will have a 22.2 stem.

    If it says 25.4 you have a 1 1/8 fork. The O.D of the stem matches the
    I.D. of the fork. A 1 1/8 threaded fork has an O.D of 1 1/8 but has an
    J.D of 25.4 (1").