Threadless stem recommendations

Scott McDonald

Guest
On the market for my first threadless stem (road). Would appreciate your feedback on brands to stay
away from, fitting tips, compatibility with bars, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

"Scott McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On the market for my first threadless stem (road). Would appreciate your feedback on brands to
> stay away from, fitting tips, compatibility with
bars,
> etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Scott

I have bicycles with a TTT Forgie and a Ritchey Comp. I like the look of the Forgie but both
function well. Both are moderately priced as well.

Brian Lafferty

"Scott McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On the market for my first threadless stem (road). Would appreciate your feedback on brands to
> stay away from, fitting tips, compatibility with
bars,
> etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Scott

Go to a good LBS. They should be willing to let you exchange an inexpensive brand that they stock in
lots of sizes until you find the one that gives you the perfect fit. When you get the length and
angle right you can go for the pricey pretty one if you wish. Just don't cut the steerer tube to
short to soon.

I did the above with the local shop and Salsa MotoAce stems. Inexpensive, stiff, reasonable weight,
lots of sizes available. Kind of industrial looking but worked so well I've never felt compelled to
change it out for the pretty one. Also a good choice for a carbon steerer. Bill

scott-<< On the market for my first threadless stem (road). Would appreciate your feedback on brands
to stay away from, fitting tips, compatibility with bars,

hard to beat Ritchey. great design, various models and levels, good shape handlebars...

had some problems with DEDA...

"Scott McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On the market for my first threadless stem (road). Would appreciate your feedback on brands to
> stay away from, fitting tips, compatibility with bars, etc.

Don't do it. You'll look like a johnny-come-lately bike equipment fashion victim.

**** (if it was good enough for Eddy, it's good enough for you) Durbin

Having bikes with both threaded and threadless stems on them, the biggest thing advantage for
threadless I can see are the removable face plates for the bars. Makes changing things a lot easier.

I have always liked my Eclypse steel stems, but the new Ritchey Pro stems I'm riding now are so much
easier to deal with.

As far as what threadless stem you want, it comes down to: what rise/length stem puts you in the
proper position? I like Ritcheys, have had a Forgie, a Forge Ahead, and some generic stems. As long
as they're the right size, all you're buying are name and weight. They all seem about as equally
stiff, clamp onto the bars about the same, and basically do the same job.

news:[email protected]...

In article <[email protected]>, mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet says...

>Having bikes with both threaded and threadless stems on them, the biggest thing advantage for
>threadless I can see are the removable face plates for the bars. Makes changing things a lot
>easier. I have always liked my Eclypse steel stems, but the new Ritchey Pro stems I'm riding now
>are so much easier to deal with.

You can get removeable faceplate quill stems. So that shouldn't be the reason you go threadless.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

**** Durbin <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
[email protected]... <snip>
> **** (if it was good enough for Eddy, it's good enough for you) Durbin

You mean the same Eddy that argued: 'nobody uses a bamboo stick for a pole vault anymore, so why
should anyone ride the same bike as I did?'

He seems to consider threadless stems good enough for all bicycles he produces.

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> scott-<< On the market for my first threadless stem (road). Would appreciate your feedback on
> brands to stay away from, fitting tips, compatibility with bars,
>
> hard to beat Ritchey. great design, various models and levels, good shape handlebars...
>
> had some problems with DEDA...

I had some serious problems with Deda stems last season, the Newton in particular. I had heard
that they were fickle with tightening and things like that (Ti hardware strips easily), so I took
out my trusty torque wrench to tighten the bolts. Seems as though that wasn't enough to prevent
the clamp ear on the back of the stem from snapping off when I was doing some maintenance. That
would have been pretty catastrophic during a ride or race I think. I moved over to Thomson stems,
sturdy, stiff, and dependable. They aren't the most lightweight stems on the market, but I,
personally, have never had a problem with anything Thomson has made over the years. I have a
couple of their stems now, and won't ride anything but their posts on my bikes. Just personal
preference. Take what you may.

Tom

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> hard to beat Ritchey. great design, various models and levels, good shape handlebars...

I'm interested in your take on the bars. I had to go with their classic shape because their WCS bend
was too radical for me. Do they make something in-between - similar to ITM Millinium or something? I
just like simple flats, not drops that come back 3 inches past the center of the bar.

That being said - Ritchey road stuff is my favorite of all the parts I've used. With the movement
towards "black" on a bike (carbon everywhere), I like their seatpost, bars, stem, wheels. Keep the
good stuff coming Tom.

"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> **** Durbin <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
> [email protected]... <snip>
> > **** (if it was good enough for Eddy, it's good enough for you) Durbin
>
> You mean the same Eddy that argued: 'nobody uses a bamboo stick for a pole vault anymore, so why
> should anyone ride the same bike as I did?'
>
> He seems to consider threadless stems good enough for all bicycles he produces.

If he is going to sell any bikes at his price level, he'd better have threadless stems on them.
That's all the dedicated followers of fashion will accept these days. I am not aware of there
being any great hue and cry from riders complaining about quill stems and wanting something
different. I suppose they work just fine and make it easier to remove the bar, but they are
butt-ugly and clunky looking.

**** Durbin just and old, set-in-his-ways fart

I don't know if they're making them this year, but I've been buying all of the "Pro" bars I've found
at Supergo. Nice shape, not as extreme as the BioMax Pro, and fairly light. Its got that nifty
little bump where your palm goes.

news:[email protected]...