Threads about pain on g.r.b.m.

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by William Meacham, Feb 2, 2003.

  1. I looked at Group.rec.bicycles.misc this evening (using Google). On the first page were the
    following threads

    Pointer on lower back pain(7 articles) The pain... (22 articles) Sore Knee (28 articles) Torn
    Meniscus, anyone? (13 articles) Hamstring Tendonitis? (11 articles)

    Then I rememebered my bike ride this morning.

    Rode my mtn bike for the first time in a while. Road the TRW trail in Mesa. As I climbed a small
    hill along a ridge, I found I couldn't make it to the top and then found out I couldn't get out of
    my clips. As I fell to my left, I put my hands out to stop myself from meeting a large boulder (3
    foot diameter) face to face. My hands and full weight came to rest on the boulder and I thought I
    would be ok. Then the boulder decided it had had enough of me and started rolling down the mtn. For
    a brief moment, I thought I was going with it and had visions of helicopters, air evacs and
    hospitals. Luckily, the boulder didn't care to take me with it and I got away with nothing more than
    a scare (I am so glad I was wearing gloves).

    What has this taught me? That though mtn biking and uprights are fun for many, they aren't my cup
    of tea and that I absolutely love riding on a bent!!! I sit here now, knowing that tomorrow I can
    ride my bent
    17.5 miles to work without worrying about backpain or butt pain or knee pain or Torn Meniscus or
    even Hamstring Tendonitis. I am so very glad that I found out about recumbents...

    Many happy miles fellow bent riders,

    Bill Meacham Mesa, AZ

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (William Meacham) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I looked at Group.rec.bicycles.misc this evening (using Google). On the first page were the
    > following threads
    >
    > Pointer on lower back pain(7 articles) The pain... (22 articles) Sore Knee (28 articles) Torn
    > Meniscus, anyone? (13 articles) Hamstring Tendonitis? (11 articles)

    Gee! No hangnail pain threads? Now I am really hurt. :) The MTB only shop here is downright rude
    and hateful about recumbents. I never understood that, but maybe the clientele is envious!

    Some people leave the "no pain - no gain' thought behind.

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  3. Geob

    Geob Guest

    Then
    > the boulder decided it had had enough of me and started rolling down the mtn.
    <snip>
    > What has this taught me?

    Stay up hill from you! :)

  4. Sicklizard

    Sicklizard Guest

    > Some people leave the "no pain - no gain' thought behind.
    >
    > Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

    My personal philosophy is, "No pain - no pain."

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Christopher Jordan wrote:

    > Gee! No hangnail pain threads? Now I am really hurt. :) The MTB only shop here is downright rude
    > and hateful about recumbents. I never understood that, but maybe the clientele is envious!...

    My MTB is a nice bike except for being a major pain the Above Seat Steering.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer, Sidewalker Micro, Trek 6000

  6. Yeah, what is with that anyway? My two LBS (Supergo and Wheel World) are totally negative about our
    bikes, and as you suggest downright insulting. Sometimes I am surprised that they even lower
    themselves to accept my money. If there was a place with similar prices and the inventory I would be
    over there in a heartbeat. But why go to some hole in the wall that has to order the stuff and then
    charges me more than if I placed the order online myself AND paid the shipping. And lets not even
    talk about saving the 8% plus sales tax.

  7. [email protected] (Michael Devenis) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Yeah, what is with that anyway? My two LBS (Supergo and Wheel World) are totally negative about
    > our bikes, and as you suggest downright insulting.

    Inexperience, young and dumb attitude: will be super healthy their whole life, ...who knows Santa
    Cruz has about 10 bike shops, so one bad apple ain't bad. I was pissed they advertise more
    recumbents than anyone in the county, but other people will find out they hate bents as I did! Just
    an unmentionable pain "down south".

    People slowly learn that a cheap trike brings in more money than 10 cheap MTBs, BMXs, or 10 spds,
    then it is their loss in the wallet. I let them play rude games!

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

    > Sometimes I am surprised that they even lower themselves to accept my money. If there was a place
    > with similar prices and the inventory I would be over there in a heartbeat. But why go to some
    > hole in the wall that has to order the stuff and then charges me more than if I placed the order
    > online myself AND paid the shipping. And lets not even talk about saving the 8% plus sales tax.

  8. Old_mopar

    Old_mopar Guest

    Hey All, The reason I got my recumbent is to lessen the pain factor. IT has! I didn't get the bent
    to see if it could climb hills, I got it to go up hills, maybe somewhat slower, but it will do. I
    didn't get the bent to see how fast I could go on it, but simply to go. I didn't get the bent for a
    workout, but to help me get a workout. And all of this without wraist pain, butt pain, and generally
    my whole body aching in some fashion, not only after I stop, but during the ride. Have you ever
    noticed, the people on uprights are always adjusting their positions and posture on the bike? They
    are tranferring the pain. And of course you local bike shop that sells these high end and low end
    bikes are going to treat you with comtempt. You are different, you don't suffer the pain they do.
    Misery loves company. I will take my bents over any of those uprights, any day. It make sense, if
    there is a better way to do something, it is smarter to use that better system, I would think. But
    some things die hard. ok I have rambled on enough. Ride on! Old_Mopar Rans Stratus

  9. [email protected] (GeoB) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Then
    > > the boulder decided it had had enough of me and started rolling down the mtn.
    > <snip>
    > > What has this taught me?
    >
    > Stay up hill from you! :)

    If you asked my wife, she would tell you to stay up hill AND up wind from me...

    Bill (I don't get no respect) Meacham Mesa, AZ

  10. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > If you asked my wife, she would tell you to stay up hill AND up wind from me...

    How are men like lawn mowers? They are hard to get started and they emit noxious odors.