Threat to Peak District cycling

Martyn Bolt

Guest
The highways agency are moving forwards with their plans to 'improve'
the Woodhead Pass, on the derby/Yorkshire border.

part of this work means a bypass around some towns and villages to
relive congestion.

leaving aside the environmental concerns at present.

the impact for cyclists will be a constant flow of vehicles, which
means that if you are trying to cross the road from Holme Moss or
Glossop you may be in trouble.

Anyone who has ridden the route either on club runs, as part of Phil &
Friends or on last year's Yorkshire Tour Ride, will know that both
junctions already have poor sight lines.

The traffic lights and hold ups in the villages at present at least
allow a short gap in traffic.

Remove that gap and I fear we may see more flower shrines soon.

Have a look at the Highways agency web site, lobby your local cycling
groups, and let's try and make sure we can continue to enjoy our hobby
in safety.

Martyn

Martyn Bolt wrote:
> The highways agency are moving forwards with their plans to 'improve'
> the Woodhead Pass, on the derby/Yorkshire border.
>

> Martyn

Thanks for raising this Martyn. The local campaign web site is
http://www.saveswallowswood.org.uk/ - please have a look and
sign their petition.

An interesting suggestion they have made is to ban trucks from
the A628 and force them to use the motorway system that was designed for
them, or use the Woodhead rail line (currently part of the Trans-Pennine
Trail) to piggy-back trucks. Either of these suggestions would make it
possible to give the road back to all users, since it's pretty
intimidating for cyclists at the moment. Over here on the Sheffield
side we are concerned about the additional trans-pennine traffic that
would be generated by the new road, which would worsen conditions for
cyclists over here as well.

Simon

Simon

I will have a look at theinfo.

A couple of points which may be of interest to people, and I hope we
can encourage a wide support for this.

Firstly, petitions are a way of showing supposed support. They may
have very luittle actual benefit depending on the 'enemy' you are
dealing with.

For example, in a planning application matter, a petition carries the
same force as one letter. so it could be that objectors for this
case need to find the rules of engagement.

Secondly, at first site it looks like the swallows wood group are
falling into the divide and conquer trap. they are prepared to
sacrifice a national trail for their local issue.

Why should the TPT be lost?

I have it in writing that the police are reluctant to support HGV bans
as they are difficult to 'police'. They must allow access, and an
officer would have to stop vehicles and ascertain where they had been
and where they were going. It is allowable to use a road to access a
paper shop for example. A silly one I agree but it shows how
difficult it is.

We have also been told that the fight will have to be done by local
CTC reps as CTC HQ can't take on any more campaigns so Peak ditrict
cycling groups need to shape up?

Martyn

Martyn Bolt wrote:
> Simon
>
> I will have a look at theinfo.
>
> A couple of points which may be of interest to people, and I hope we
> can encourage a wide support for this.
>
> Firstly, petitions are a way of showing supposed support. They may
> have very little actual benefit depending on the 'enemy' you are
> dealing with.
>
> For example, in a planning application matter, a petition carries the
> same force as one letter. so it could be that objectors for this
> case need to find the rules of engagement.

I agree that individual letters of objection or other protests can carry
more weight than petitions or on-line pre-written letters. However, we
live in a world where there are many pressing issues that demand our
attention, and whilst we would like to support all of them, who's got
the time? So if the least people can do is sign the petition, that's
something. It will be up to local people to fight the good fight, but
they can show they have nationwide support.

> Secondly, at first site it looks like the swallows wood group are
> falling into the divide and conquer trap. they are prepared to
> sacrifice a national trail for their local issue.
>
> Why should the TPT be lost?

I'm a "Friend of the TPT" as well as being a CTC RTR rep for Sheffield.
The FOTPT have taken the view that if the Woodhead line were to be
relaid, which seems inevitable at some point - it's a modern railway
line built to European loading gauge passing between two of the most
heavily populated areas in the country after London & Brum, and could
potentially be running to full capacity the day after re-opening - then
an alternative trail would have to be provided. <speculation mode> If in
the ideal world the trucks could be taken off the road and road traffic
speeds reduced than I think that would satisfy most roadies, many of
whom shun the TPT anyway ("mud-plugging" I heard it described by a
famous cycle campaigner from Warrington) Walkers & MTB'ers would be
easier to cater for as they can generally cope with steeper gradients
and rougher surfaces. </speculation mode>

> I have it in writing that the police are reluctant to support HGV bans
> as they are difficult to 'police'. They must allow access, and an
> officer would have to stop vehicles and ascertain where they had been
> and where they were going. It is allowable to use a road to access a
> paper shop for example. A silly one I agree but it shows how
> difficult it is.

Well there are other options - congestion charging, reducing speeds so
much that it's no longer worthwhile for HGV's to bypass the M62, for
example. People in the HA are paid top money to think of these things,
but it seems the best they can come up with is to lay yet more tarmac on
top of the green and pleasant.

> We have also been told that the fight will have to be done by local
> CTC reps as CTC HQ can't take on any more campaigns so Peak ditrict
> cycling groups need to shape up?

A very good point. I've been trying to get some sort of Peak District
Cycle Forum off the ground for about a year, on and off. Could it be
that PD cyclists just have it far too easy and have nothing to get angry
about, compared to urbanites? As a city-dweller myself it's how we get
out there that concerns me.

One thing I have done if set up a Sharepoint resource for information,
announcements, discussion board etc. If urc'ers would like to join
please let me know
by email simon dot geller at blueyonder dot co finaldot uk

Simon