Threatened to get put under front tire.

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by maxpack, Aug 21, 2011.

1. maxpack

maxpack New Member

I was cycling in Ontario, Canada at night time, as I would like to cycle druing the day I have no option and there is no public transport.

A motorist pulled over next to me, I was on the sidewalk. He started screaming to me. Daring me to turn my headlamp back on, his was the only negative response I had gotten all week about the lamp. His words were a death threat directly and his fat-b*tch-of-a-wife was screaming at me too.

My response was that I need to be seen, he repeated my words and said he would flatten me with his car, and how much he wanted to put me under his front wheel.

I only said: "i need to be seen", "you want to hit me? go ahead", "relax" and "you are a f*** guido"- as he drove off

PLEASE HELP ME? what should i say/ how should I respond to threats from drivers about my headlight.

I was thinking of lying and saying " I have kids". Any advice would be helpfull, I want to leave them a piece of mind and hopefully avoid arguments or fights.

Tags:

2. Beersk

Beersk New Member

Holy shit, what an ass. I'm a little confused though. He dared you to turn your light back on? Or it was on already and too bright? Not sure I understand, but I seriously do not understand the hostility towards people who ride bikes. Seriously. You were on the sidewalk, not even in his way, what the hell is his problem? In these situations you can't help but get hostile back. I'd LOVE to give them a little U-lock justice, but that's just not a good way to go about handling the situation.
    Really, I guess what I'd say is, "I love you too" and continue riding, ignoring their stupid ignorant vomit spewing out of their mouths.
    There simply is no rationalization for their hostility towards you. These are just the kind of people that have some kind of vendetta out for cyclists.

Or, you could respond with, "Hey, I notice you're fat, ugly, and out of shape. How's that working out for you?" Then ignore them and continue riding.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

3. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

Grab your cell and dial 911. This is an assault.

4. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

+1 That's what I would do...

5. maxpack

maxpack New Member

No liscence plate, i called, there is nothing the police could do with a description alone.

6. bigpedaler

bigpedaler New Member

A lot of people (LEO included) would recommend avoidance; can you turn off/turn around/just stop and let this ass go on? If so, that would be safest from an 'all-around' point of view. (If stopping just causes HIM to stop, then you are dealing with a mortal threat -- pepper spray them both, maybe stun gun, followed by brass knuckles (J/K on the last, they're illegal).)

What can I say, it's not a nice world.

7. Nukuhiva

Nukuhiva Active Member

Irrational asshole with no cause (how is a bike headlight a problem??), no plates, night time, there's 2 of them and only 1 of you....sounds like a bad situation. Calling 911 probably pointless, if you hit the guy, you're the one going down for assault - unless wifey-poo brains you with her 56 lb. purse. You're probably not physically HUGE - if you were, they wouldn't have the nerve to do this, so you're really in a no-win situation. In my experience, people like that cannot be argued with, so unless you're martial artist or carry a gun - the great equalizer - it's best to ignore them, if at all possible. Other than that, try to not ride alone or maybe get a big, mean-looking dog.

8. Grant-53

Grant-53 New Member

This is a great time to use the camera option on your phone to deal with crimminal types. I have been inclined to answer in some foreign lanuage but usually it is best to simply say "I am just following the law. Read it for yourself." The first rule in karate is step away, get away, run away.