Three bents

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Goodman, Feb 7, 2003.

  1. ..is how many I've seen in the wild (on the road) since starting commuting in London nearly three
    years ago (amazing how times flies). The first was nearly a year ago, but in the last week I've seen
    two more. Does this mean there are more 'bents on the road than ever before ;-)?

    Rich

    Tags:

  2. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ..is how many I've seen in the wild (on the road) since starting commuting in London nearly three
    > years ago (amazing how times flies). The first was nearly a year ago, but in the last week I've
    > seen two more. Does this
    mean
    > there are more 'bents on the road than ever before ;-)?
    >
    > Rich

    I've only ever seen one in years of cycling in Hampshire. And then it was on a local charity ride
    when there were thousands (probably hundreds but I'd been drinking) on the road.

    I used to work in London though and I've seen quite a few up there. London is full of weirdos so
    there are tons of Bromptons around so I would expect to see many more bents there than you would in,
    say, Shepton Mallet.

  3. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > ..is how many I've seen in the wild (on the road) since starting
    commuting
    > > in London nearly three years ago (amazing how times flies). The first
    was
    > > nearly a year ago, but in the last week I've seen two more. Does this
    > mean
    > > there are more 'bents on the road than ever before ;-)?
    > >
    > > Rich
    > >

    > I've only ever seen one in years of cycling in Hampshire. And then it was on a local charity ride
    > when there were thousands (probably hundreds but
    I'd
    > been drinking) on the road.
    >
    > I used to work in London though and I've seen quite a few up there.
    London
    > is full of weirdos so there are tons of Bromptons around so I would expect to see many more bents
    > there than you would in, say, Shepton Mallet.

    By the way, I've got a Brompton so no flaming please.

    I'll get my cap.

  4. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:20:03 -0000, Smudger <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I used to work in London though and I've seen quite a few up there. London is full of weirdos so
    > there are tons of Bromptons around so I would expect to see many more bents there than you would
    > in, say, Shepton Mallet.

    Au contraire! Somerset is a hive of 'bent activity. Indeed, last time I went on a Bath CTC Sunday
    ride I learnt that lots of the riders have started going out on 'bent-only rides...

    Ian

    --
    Ian Walker, Department of Psychology, University of Bath. Remove the yummy paste in my address to
    reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > I used to work in London though and I've seen quite a few up there.
    London
    > is full of weirdos so there are tons of Bromptons around so I would expect to see many more bents
    > there than you would in, say, Shepton Mallet.

    Can confirm this: S.M. is where I am *right now*. No bents in sight.

    Mark

  6. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > Can confirm this: S.M. is where I am *right now*. No bents in sight.

    At least, until I get one meself. One day...

    Mark

  7. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > .is how many I've seen in the wild (on the road) since starting commuting in London nearly three
    > years ago (amazing how times flies). The first was nearly a year ago, but in the last week I've
    > seen two more. Does this mean there are more 'bents on the road than ever before ;-)?

    I've never seen a single one in East Herts in five years. I have seen a couple in the Welsh borders.

    Toby

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:45:48 -0000, "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >..is how many I've seen in the wild (on the road) since starting commuting in London nearly three
    >years ago (amazing how times flies). The first was nearly a year ago, but in the last week I've
    >seen two more. Does this mean there are more 'bents on the road than ever before ;-)?

    It means the Sith are approaching, ready to surround you and convert you to the Dark Side :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:20:03 -0000, "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >London is full of weirdos so there are tons of Bromptons around so I would expect to see many more
    >bents there than you would in, say, Shepton Mallet.

    Ah, but Shepton will be seething with bents when we arrange the forthcoming Mob :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  10. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:45:48 -0000, "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >..is how many I've seen in the wild (on the road) since starting
    commuting
    > >in London nearly three years ago (amazing how times flies). The first
    was
    > >nearly a year ago, but in the last week I've seen two more. Does this
    mean
    > >there are more 'bents on the road than ever before ;-)?
    >
    > It means the Sith are approaching, ready to surround you and convert you to the Dark Side :)
    >
    > Guy
    > ===
    > ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    > dynamic DNS permitting)
    > NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    > work. Apologies.

    I see one every day seeing as I ride it

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:27:17 -0000, "Just meeeeeee." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I see one every day seeing as I ride it

    Ah, splendid. Inadequate research on my part, I see you have alluded to it at some point in the
    past. What flavour?

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  12. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Ian Walker wrote:
    > Au contraire! Somerset is a hive of 'bent activity. Indeed, last time I went on a Bath CTC Sunday
    > ride I learnt that lots of the riders have started going out on 'bent-only rides...

    Blimey. I should check that out sometime.

    I think I've seen about 9 bents in Bristol & Bath in the last 3 years. One is mine, one belongs to
    my next door neighbour, 3 of the others I saw all at the same time and 2 were on Bristol's Biggest
    Bike Ride.

    Thomas Paine

  13. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Ian Walker wrote:
    > > Au contraire! Somerset is a hive of 'bent activity. Indeed, last time I went on a Bath CTC
    > > Sunday ride I learnt that lots of the riders have started going out on 'bent-only rides...
    >
    > Blimey. I should check that out sometime.
    >
    > I think I've seen about 9 bents in Bristol & Bath in the last 3 years. One is mine, one belongs to
    > my next door neighbour, 3 of the others I saw all at the same time and 2 were on Bristol's Biggest
    > Bike Ride.
    >
    > --
    > Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    > http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    > Thomas Paine

    Bath doesn't count 'coz isn't that where the Bicycle Plus people are and they're always testing
    wierd machines.

  14. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    ::
    :: It means the Sith are approaching, ready to surround you and convert you to the Dark Side :)
    ::
    :: Guy
    :: ===

    Ah, it's a sign then? An Omen perhaps? 'Tis true I have been entertaining thoughts of it, but yet I
    am able to resist, so there!

    (The fact that they're so expensive, and I overtook all three of them effortlessly probably helps)

    Maybe one day, if I have a commute that includes long stretches of open road....

    Rich

  15. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 23:15:03 -0000, "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Maybe one day, if I have a commute that includes long stretches of open road....

    Or you want to ride in armchair comfort....

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  16. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Aside from my own, I've seen four others in Dundee (a Windcheetah with optional motor power added,
    seen a few times and though I don't know the rider I have friends that do, an OkeJa, just seen the
    once, a LWB job which a Swiss chap was touring on, and a tandem which I've heard lives over the
    river). A paddling friend has a Crystal, though we've not ridden together and I haven't met it, I
    saw one being ridden in Edinburgh once, and I've seen a couple touring round bits of Scotland while
    I've been driving. Also met a German tourist on an Anthrotech unloading from a ferry on Shetland
    while I trolleyed my sea kayak off.

    I guess the various ones swooping around the neighbourhood of Kinetics don't really count...

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  17. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Smudger wrote:
    > Bath doesn't count 'coz isn't that where the Bicycle Plus people are and they're always testing
    > wierd machines.

    Yeah, but I don't write for C+, nor does my next door neighbour, and none of the other 7 was ridden
    by anyone I recognised as a C+ contributor.

    I've bumped into Richard Grigsby a couple of times while out cycling, though not while either of us
    was bent, and I'm pretty sure I was passed one morning by Paul Vincent while I was fixing a puncture
    (yes, of course he slowed down and asked if I was OK). But no, I've never seen any of the C+ crew
    out testing bents.

    (In addition to the 9 bents I've seen round here, I once chatted to a chap on the cyclepath who told
    me he had a Windcheetah at home. And a friend of mine is saving for a Speed Machine, having been
    hooked since he tried my Street Machine).

    Thomas Paine

  18. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    :: On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 23:15:03 -0000, "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: Maybe one day, if I have a commute that includes long stretches of open road....
    ::
    :: Or you want to ride in armchair comfort....
    ::

    Well, Guy, as you know, they say some of us are built for comfort and some of us are built for
    speed.... Me, I'm built for speed..

    Rich

  19. For a while on this thread I thought 3 bents in 3 three years might be a record, but no! It appears
    some of you have seen more than you could count on the fingers of one hand (but not two)...

    Actually, I can also claim to have seen more than 3 bents in the wild, if you count beyond London
    and my cycle commuting days. One in London pre-cycle commuting - a rather high machine with a big
    bulbous yellow nose that always seemed to be heading up the hill beside Springfield Park and across
    the Upper Clapton Road into Stoke Newington. And a few 'bent tourers when I was in NZ over Xmas/New
    Year. Two of them were ridden by a couple heading down the South Island towards Queenstown, who I
    repassed several times on my own way there and while making (car based) day trips from there. The
    last time I saw them they had nearly reached Queenstown and were pushing their bikes up what seemed
    like a relatively modest hill(!) just before the town.

    And all this talk of 'bents has had me dreaming of them. Or was it a nightmare? Last night I dreamt
    that a sandwich bar near my home was offering discount vouchers on 'bent hire from an LBS. For some
    strange, inexplicable reason, I decided to buy a couple of sandwiches and a voucher to hire one for
    the day, but when I went to hire one they said they only had children's ones there and I'd have to
    go to their other branch further away. They showed me their 'children's' ones, one of which looked
    very much like a pedal car! I was just contemplating whether I really wanted to go all the way to
    the other branch, which would have made the whole exercise much more inconvenient and time
    consuming, when I woke up! That was a relief.

    Rich

  20. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Richard Goodman wrote:
    > Actually, I can also claim to have seen more than 3 bents in the wild, if you count beyond London
    > and my cycle commuting days. One in London pre-cycle commuting - a rather high machine with a big
    > bulbous yellow nose

    That sounds like a Kingcycle with a front fairing. A Google image search for "Kingcycle" finds a few
    pictures: http://home.worldonline.dk/greven/hpvem/welcome/king.jpg
    http://www.artcenter.edu/exhibit/anthro/kingcycle.html
    http://www.disarray.org.uk/kingcycle/kingcycle.htm

    I quite fancied one myself, but they'd stopped making them by the time I was able to afford a bent.

    Thomas Paine