Three bikes and a Ford Focus - Which Rack???

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Parkesy, Feb 22, 2003.

  1. Parkesy

    Parkesy Guest

    All:

    I have a crappy 4 door Ford Focus sedan with which I want to transport my three bikes. The bikes in
    question are:

    1. An adult Trek Y-Frame
    2. An adult "Hybrid" - Ladies' frame
    3. A child's bike - 16 inch wheels - Y-Frame

    I just bought - and returned - a Saris Bones rear-mounted rack which failed 'cos two of the three
    bikes are Y-frames and, one of these two is a kiddies' bike to boot.

    So, what are my options from a rack perspective, based on my car type and bike variations?

    Many, many thanks, Parkesy

    Tags:

  2. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "parkesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > All:

    > So, what are my options from a rack perspective, based on my car type and bike variations?

    You might consider a receiver hitch and a rack to go with it. Something like a Hollywood Team Rider
    (http://www.hollywoodracks.com/2&3.htm). Of course, your rack and bikes will end up being worth more
    than your car....

    :)

    -Buck

  3. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    parkesy wrote:
    > All:
    >
    > I have a crappy 4 door Ford Focus sedan with which I want to transport my three bikes. The bikes
    > in question are:
    >
    > 1. An adult Trek Y-Frame
    > 2. An adult "Hybrid" - Ladies' frame
    > 3. A child's bike - 16 inch wheels - Y-Frame
    >
    > I just bought - and returned - a Saris Bones rear-mounted rack which failed 'cos two of the three
    > bikes are Y-frames and, one of these two is a kiddies' bike to boot.
    >
    > So, what are my options from a rack perspective, based on my car type and bike variations?

    Fools rush in, so here I come. :)

    I think you may need to look at a roof rack like a Yakima. It's possible to tilt a mixte frame (I
    assume that's what you mean by hybrid ladies' frame) and get it on a rear rack, but the Y frames
    would be an interesting challenge. At least the Focus isn't too tall.

    Pat
    --
    Apologies to those easily confused. Address is spam-resistant. Correct email address like pdlamb
    'round-about comcast point net.

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    Thule makes an adaptor for Mixte frames. They go between the stem and saddle, mimicking the top tube
    on a "men's" bike.

    My recommendation for the most secure transport is a Thule rack. Lockable, permanently affixed
    to the car so its always there when you need it, and can be equipped with several styles of
    bike carrier.

    Next?

    "Patrick Lamb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > parkesy wrote:
    > > All:
    > >
    > > I have a crappy 4 door Ford Focus sedan with which I want to transport my three bikes. The bikes
    > > in question are:
    > >
    > > 1. An adult Trek Y-Frame
    > > 2. An adult "Hybrid" - Ladies' frame
    > > 3. A child's bike - 16 inch wheels - Y-Frame
    > >
    > > I just bought - and returned - a Saris Bones rear-mounted rack which failed 'cos two of the
    > > three bikes are Y-frames and, one of these two is a kiddies' bike to boot.
    > >
    > > So, what are my options from a rack perspective, based on my car type and bike variations?
    >
    > Fools rush in, so here I come. :)
    >
    > I think you may need to look at a roof rack like a Yakima. It's possible to tilt a mixte frame (I
    > assume that's what you mean by hybrid ladies' frame) and get it on a rear rack, but the Y frames
    > would be an interesting challenge. At least the Focus isn't too tall.
    >
    > Pat
    > --
    > Apologies to those easily confused. Address is spam-resistant. Correct email address like pdlamb
    > 'round-about comcast point net.

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > All:
    >
    > I have a crappy 4 door Ford Focus sedan with which I want to transport my three bikes. The bikes
    > in question are:
    >
    > 1. An adult Trek Y-Frame
    > 2. An adult "Hybrid" - Ladies' frame
    > 3. A child's bike - 16 inch wheels - Y-Frame
    >
    > I just bought - and returned - a Saris Bones rear-mounted rack which failed 'cos two of the three
    > bikes are Y-frames and, one of these two is a kiddies' bike to boot.
    >
    > So, what are my options from a rack perspective, based on my car type and bike variations?
    >
    > Many, many thanks, Parkesy

    Probably the least expensive and most prectical way to go would be a two bike hitch rack on an
    inexpensive class I hitch that you install yourself, and put the 16" wheel bike in the trunk. This
    will likely be $100 or more cheaper than a roof rack which will still only hold two bikes anyway.
    --
    _________________________

  6. > > > Parkesy

    > > Probably the least expensive and most prectical way to go would be a two bike hitch rack on an
    > > inexpensive class I hitch that you install yourself, and put the 16" wheel bike in the trunk.
    > > This will likely be $100 or more cheaper than a roof rack which will still only hold two bikes
    > > anyway.
    > > --
    > How do you figure that the rack's only going to hold 2? I got 3 on both my VW Golf and my Nissan
    > Sentra frequently. All you need to do is turn the middle tray around the other way.

    Since you'd have to use one of those wider trays like a wide mounth for at least the Y-frame bike
    and the small bike's hadlebars will be in the weels of the other two I double you'll get three ont
    hat car with any amount of ease. Certainly not worth the extra expense in my opinion. For the price
    of three trays, a pair of load bars and a foot kit you could probably buy a class II receiver
    installed and put a 4 bike hitch rack on. But I would still just go with the cheaper option of a
    class I and a two bike rack for around $160 US.

    --
    _________________________

  7. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > All:
    > >
    > > I have a crappy 4 door Ford Focus sedan with which I want to transport my three bikes. The bikes
    > > in question are:
    > >
    > > 1. An adult Trek Y-Frame
    > > 2. An adult "Hybrid" - Ladies' frame
    > > 3. A child's bike - 16 inch wheels - Y-Frame
    > >
    > > I just bought - and returned - a Saris Bones rear-mounted rack which failed 'cos two of the
    > > three bikes are Y-frames and, one of these two is a kiddies' bike to boot.
    > >
    > > So, what are my options from a rack perspective, based on my car type and bike variations?
    > >
    > > Many, many thanks, Parkesy
    > >

    > Probably the least expensive and most prectical way to go would be a two bike hitch rack on an
    > inexpensive class I hitch that you install yourself, and put the 16" wheel bike in the trunk. This
    > will likely be $100 or more cheaper than a roof rack which will still only hold two bikes anyway.
    > --
    How do you figure that the rack's only going to hold 2? I got 3 on both my VW Golf and my Nissan
    Sentra frequently. All you need to do is turn the middle tray around the other way.

    > _________________________
    > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com

  8. Yourbuddy

    Yourbuddy Guest

    "parkesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > I just bought - and returned - a Saris Bones
    > rear-mounted rack which failed 'cos two of the three bikes are Y-frames and, one of these two is a
    > kiddies' bike to boot.

    Can't you just buy two of the adapters which allow bikes with no top tube to be used on conventional
    racks? It attaches to the stem and seat post. I know Nashbar sells it....