Three deaths by bike helmet

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Three deaths by bike helmet
BICYCLE helmets are potentially deadly if they are worn by children who are playing, not riding bikes, doctors have warned.

Three Australian children died after being strangled by their helmets between 2003 and 2009, a review of forensic science records has found.

All three deaths occurred while the children were engaged in activities other than bike or skateboard riding, according to four Australian pathologists.

Link: http://www.theage.com.au/national/three-deaths-by-bike-helmet-20110102-19d2x.html

I hope no one actually thinks that the helmets were entirely at fault. Children's helmets should have a safety release like cat and dog collars so that they snap open with a certain weight or force, but otherwise this changes very little. If the child is young enough to still need to be kept away from plastic bags, then other strangling/choking hazards like bicycle helmet straps should be equally considered by parents and guardians.

Reactions: profgumby
How many kids were saved from serious injury while wearing helmets and not bicycling?

---

There are always tales of safety equipment causing death but those reports need to be balanced against the lives saved while using safety equipment.

While bicycle helmets might not be the ideal (or even tested) for certain activities, they may be better than nothing.

Reactions: profgumby
Originally Posted by An old Guy .

How many kids were saved from serious injury while wearing helmets and not bicycling?

I totally agree with you here, this measurement would outweigh the number of deaths by thousands.

I see this as a great caution, you know, the far out freaky concept of watching your young children. And it does serve to let folks know that there are potential hazards from wearing helmets while not riding etc...

However, it also reminds me of the old idea that always goes, "one time, this dude's, friend,s uncles, mail man's, brothers ,dentists, neighbor was killed because of his seat belt in his car"

Wear a helmet if you want to, wear a helmet if it is law, but be sure to watch your kids, especially the little ones.