Three near-misses at once.



Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard

Guest
I've had a few near misses with individual cars, but last night had three at once just miss me in
the same incident - impressive. Two-lane dual carriageway, so I'm pootling along in the left lane.
(Legally) parked cars ahead in the left lane, but there's still room to cycle past them (but not to
drive past them) without entering the right lane. So I move out... Two cars, C1, C2, nose-to-tail at
~40 mph coming up the right lane, and third car C3 even faster coming up behind me, undertakes them
both at speed and has to swerve out into the right lane to avoid parked cars/me. Misses me by the
thickness gnat's *****; screech of brakes and tires and blare of horn from C1 as he avoids being
sideswiped, wheels locked, realise he's coming close to skidding into me, ditto from C2 as he avoids
thudding into C1, all roar past on their way to the red traffic lights 200 yards ahead. Hey ho. I'd
be inclined to think this is some sort of record, but knowing the average motorist streetsense, I
suspect not even close.
 
A

Adrian Boliston

Guest
"Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I've had a few near misses with individual cars, but last night had three at once just miss me in
> the same incident - impressive. Two-lane dual carriageway, so I'm pootling along in the left lane.
> (Legally) parked cars ahead in the left lane, but there's still room to cycle past them (but not
> to drive past them) without entering the right lane. So I move out... Two cars, C1, C2,
> nose-to-tail at ~40 mph coming up the right lane, and third car C3 even faster coming up behind
> me, undertakes them both at speed and has to swerve out into the right lane to avoid parked
> cars/me.

Have you got rear-facing eyeballs? You seemed to see all this stuff happening behind you in
remarkable detail!
 
R

Richard

Guest
Adrian Boliston wrote:

> Have you got rear-facing eyeballs? You seemed to see all this stuff happening behind you in
> remarkable detail!

No, but my eyeball mounting is connected to my body via this thing which technical people call a
'neck', which has a limited degree of rotation ;-)

R.
 
J

Just Zis Guy

Guest
Richard wrote:
> all roar past on their way to the red traffic lights 200 yards ahead.

A find a cheery wave as I ride past them at the lights works a treat :)

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104
 
R

Richard

Guest
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
>
> Richard wrote:
> > all roar past on their way to the red traffic lights 200 yards ahead.
>
> A find a cheery wave as I ride past them at the lights works a treat :)

Sod's law dictated that the lights went green with me still five yards short, and uphill
to boot. :)

R.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.