Three near-misses at once.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard, Feb 14, 2003.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I've had a few near misses with individual cars, but last night had three at once just miss me in
    the same incident - impressive. Two-lane dual carriageway, so I'm pootling along in the left lane.
    (Legally) parked cars ahead in the left lane, but there's still room to cycle past them (but not to
    drive past them) without entering the right lane. So I move out... Two cars, C1, C2, nose-to-tail at
    ~40 mph coming up the right lane, and third car C3 even faster coming up behind me, undertakes them
    both at speed and has to swerve out into the right lane to avoid parked cars/me. Misses me by the
    thickness gnat's willy; screech of brakes and tires and blare of horn from C1 as he avoids being
    sideswiped, wheels locked, realise he's coming close to skidding into me, ditto from C2 as he avoids
    thudding into C1, all roar past on their way to the red traffic lights 200 yards ahead. Hey ho. I'd
    be inclined to think this is some sort of record, but knowing the average motorist streetsense, I
    suspect not even close.

    Tags:

  2. "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I've had a few near misses with individual cars, but last night had three at once just miss me in
    > the same incident - impressive. Two-lane dual carriageway, so I'm pootling along in the left lane.
    > (Legally) parked cars ahead in the left lane, but there's still room to cycle past them (but not
    > to drive past them) without entering the right lane. So I move out... Two cars, C1, C2,
    > nose-to-tail at ~40 mph coming up the right lane, and third car C3 even faster coming up behind
    > me, undertakes them both at speed and has to swerve out into the right lane to avoid parked
    > cars/me.

    Have you got rear-facing eyeballs? You seemed to see all this stuff happening behind you in
    remarkable detail!

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:

    > Have you got rear-facing eyeballs? You seemed to see all this stuff happening behind you in
    > remarkable detail!

    No, but my eyeball mounting is connected to my body via this thing which technical people call a
    'neck', which has a limited degree of rotation ;-)

    R.

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > all roar past on their way to the red traffic lights 200 yards ahead.

    A find a cheery wave as I ride past them at the lights works a treat :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    > > all roar past on their way to the red traffic lights 200 yards ahead.
    >
    > A find a cheery wave as I ride past them at the lights works a treat :)

    Sod's law dictated that the lights went green with me still five yards short, and uphill
    to boot. :)

    R.