Three reasons to hate cameron, red light jumper, smoker AND a tory!

On 24 Jan, 14:47, Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:
> spindrift wrote:
> >http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/columnists/pandora/when-helmets-...

> Also in the daily wail:
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_arti...
> David Cameron 'ran red light on bike and didn't say sorry' says
> pedestrian | the Daily Mail
>
> > Mr Cameron was caught on camera last year going through a red light without his cycle helmet on.

> So which is worst RLJ or no MFH (answers on a postcard to the wail).
>
> Martin.

Cameron may encounter that bonkers Baroness and a fight to the death
would be cheered on by a baying mob of floating voters.

On Jan 25, 4:18�am, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Matt B
> [email protected] says...> spindrift wrote:
> > >http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/columnists/pandora/when-helmets-....

> > Why would you hate him for being a smoker, or a Tory, and in what way
> > are /they/ related to this ng?

> It's not the smoking, it's the lying about it. �And the other reason is
> his belief in silly hats and urban camouflage.

Funny thing about the smoking ban....everybody saying how their
clothes always smelt of smoke after coming out of the pub. It never
stopped them going in in the first place though. Another Labour Nanny
State (TM) device to get us all under the thumb. I don't smoke, but
this ban went so far over the top. (I REALLY enjoy having to ride past
numpties stood outside pubs now.........thanks Gordon!!!)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Funny thing about the smoking ban....everybody saying how their
clothes always smelt of smoke after coming out of the pub. It never
stopped them going in in the first place though.

It didn't stop the people who complained but it did stop those who did not
go to the pub because they did not like the smoke. Doh!

But......the smoking ban was and is far more to do with the working
conditions of the bar staff.

pk

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>Funny thing about the smoking ban....everybody saying how their
>clothes always smelt of smoke after coming out of the pub. It never
>stopped them going in in the first place though.

It stopped me going to the pub. I hated being in a pub due to the cigarette
smoke. It stopped me going pretty much. I venture into such establishments
more often these days.

PK wrote:

> But......the smoking ban was and is far more to do with the working
> conditions of the bar staff.

IMHO the smoking ban was there to push the smokers outside, so that they
would have to enjoy our weather whilst smoking, in an effort to make
them give up.
The government brought in the ban during the summer, to get smokers used
to going outside, then hopes that as the weather gets worse, people will
smoke less. (I don't smoke myself).

Of course now you get big crowds of people stood outside some pubs
blocking the footpaths.

Quoting <[email protected]>:
>Funny thing about the smoking ban....everybody saying how their
>clothes always smelt of smoke after coming out of the pub. It never
>stopped them going in in the first place though.

Perhaps some people didn't go and some other people complained about
smoke.
Today is Leicesterday, January.

On Jan 25, 11:17�am, "PK" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> Funny thing about the smoking ban....everybody saying how their
> clothes always smelt of smoke after coming out of the pub. It never
> stopped them going in in the first place though.
>

> It didn't stop the people who complained but it did stop those who did not
> go to the pub because they did not like the smoke. Doh!
>
> But......the smoking ban was and is far more to do with the working
> conditions of the bar staff.
>
> pk

P'raps it's me but what 's wrong with having some "smoking" pubs and
some "non-smoking" pubs, then it's down to the individual where he
wishes to drink AND work. Simple really, all it would take is a little
sign on the door, not millions wasted on policing this ban. (How is it
money can be found to fund Smoking Ban Enforcers but we can't have
more Bobbies on the Beat?) Surely that would have satisfied most fair-
minded people?
I think I'm getting grumpier as I get older. I'd better get back out
on me bike ;-)

P'raps it's me but what 's wrong with having some "smoking" pubs and
some "non-smoking" pubs, then it's down to the individual where he
wishes to drink AND work.

good idea!

we can also have mines that do not implement H&S rules - they will be able
to see cheaper coal!

ditto, factories!

pk

PK wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> P'raps it's me but what 's wrong with having some "smoking" pubs and
> some "non-smoking" pubs, then it's down to the individual where he
> wishes to drink AND work.
>

> good idea!
>
> we can also have mines that do not implement H&S rules - they will be able
> to see cheaper coal!
>
> ditto, factories!
>
> pk

yes think of the children
why should they be stopped going up chimneys if they want to
am

<[email protected]> wrote in message

>P'raps it's me but what 's wrong with having some "smoking" pubs and
>some "non-smoking" pubs, then it's down to the individual where he
>wishes to drink AND work.

Wouldn't work. We actually had that situation before - there were some
non-smoking pubs, just not very many at all. In that situation, with all bar
a few cases there's a competitive advantage to be had from offering smoking,
so they all did.

IMO it is nice to be able to breathe in a pub...

cheers,
clive

[email protected] wrote:

> P'raps it's me but what 's wrong with having some "smoking" pubs and
> some "non-smoking" pubs, then it's down to the individual where he
> wishes to drink AND work. Simple really, all it would take is a little
> sign on the door, not millions wasted on policing this ban. (How is it
> money can be found to fund Smoking Ban Enforcers but we can't have
> more Bobbies on the Beat?) Surely that would have satisfied most fair-
> minded people?
> I think I'm getting grumpier as I get older. I'd better get back out
> on me bike ;-)

Well, perhaps the fact that it didn't happen voluntarily (as far as I
know) before the ban is evidence that compulsion was needed.
Roger Thorpe

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jan 25, 11:17�am, "PK" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Funny thing about the smoking ban....everybody saying how their
>> clothes always smelt of smoke after coming out of the pub. It never
>> stopped them going in in the first place though.
>>

>> It didn't stop the people who complained but it did stop those who did not
>> go to the pub because they did not like the smoke. Doh!
>>
>> But......the smoking ban was and is far more to do with the working
>> conditions of the bar staff.
>>
>> pk

> P'raps it's me but what 's wrong with having some "smoking" pubs and
> some "non-smoking" pubs, then it's down to the individual where he
> wishes to drink AND work.

Because as has been shown up until now smokers cannot be trusted to
abide by a voluntary code, and the lowest common denominator or business
would encourage ALL pubs to be smoking.

Simple really, all it would take is a little
> sign on the door, not millions wasted on policing this ban. (How is it
> money can be found to fund Smoking Ban Enforcers but we can't have
> more Bobbies on the Beat?)

Surely that would have satisfied most fair-
> minded people?

In the same way you could get rid of lots of H&S exective inspectors and
leave bussinness customers and employees about which one they deal
with, those the kill their employees and customers with dangerous ( but
lucrative) working and business practices or those ( more expensive )
ones that don't

> I think I'm getting grumpier as I get older. I'd better get back out
> on me bike ;-)

Good idea , less time for you to read the Daily Wail!

In article <[email protected]>, PK wrote:
><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>Funny thing about the smoking ban....everybody saying how their
>clothes always smelt of smoke after coming out of the pub. It never
>stopped them going in in the first place though.
>>>>>

>It didn't stop the people who complained but it did stop those who did not
>go to the pub because they did not like the smoke. Doh!

It didn't _always_ stop the people who complained, but at least some of
them went to the pub less than they would have if it wasn't smoky.

Martin Dann wrote:
> PK wrote:
>
>> But......the smoking ban was and is far more to do with the working
>> conditions of the bar staff.

> IMHO the smoking ban was there to push the smokers outside, so that they
> would have to enjoy our weather whilst smoking, in an effort to make
> them give up.
> The government brought in the ban during the summer, to get smokers used
> to going outside, then hopes that as the weather gets worse, people will
> smoke less. (I don't smoke myself).
>
> Of course now you get big crowds of people stood outside some pubs
> blocking the footpaths.

Throwing their *** ends, matches, cellophane and *** packets onto the
ground.

Why do smokers never see their detritus as litter, is it because smoking
is an inherently selfish action in itself?

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

> I hated being in a pub due to the cigarette
>smoke. It stopped me going pretty much. I venture into such establishments
>more often these days.

lonely in there by yourself is it ?
I just came out of the local which this time last year would have had
20-30 folk in it on a friday after work ... there were no more than 10
in there today :(