Three State Three Mountain Challenge

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Glaucman, Mar 12, 2003.

  1. Glaucman

    Glaucman Guest

    I'm considering this ride, the Three State Three Mountain Challenge, put on by the Chattanooga TN
    Bike Club. Has anyone here ever participated in this 100 mile century which traverses TN, GA, and
    AL. I would appreciate some first hand information if you would be so kind. Thanks.

    Henry

    Tags:

  2. Greg Evans

    Greg Evans Guest

    Henry ([email protected]) was wondering:

    > Has anyone here ever participated in this 100 mile century which traverses TN, GA, and AL. I would
    > appreciate some first hand information if you would be so kind. Thanks.

    This will be my 3rd year doing this ride. If you haven't already, take a look at the route
    description at: <http://www.chattbike.com/events/3_state/3st100.htm> as you can tell from the
    elevation profile, the 3 main climbs are each a bit steeper than the one before; The last climb,
    Burkhalter Gap (Signal Mountain), is just plain evil... you've got ~80 miles in you at that point,
    and the climb gets steeper as you go, near the top there's a curve which it seems the top is just
    beyond, but rounding the turn you are face to face with a WALL.

    As it mentions at the above link there is a quite a bit of traffic on the early part of the course,
    which thins considerably after the Top of Suck Creek Mountain. Overall, I find it to be a
    CHALLENGING, well-supported ride, with a well marked route. Take a look at what others have said
    about it at: <http://www.chattbike.com/events/3_state/2001/comments.htm> The Chattanooga bike club
    site has a wealth of info about the ride.

    Hope to see you there, I'll be the skinny slow guy on the white and blue Fuji.

    Greg

  3. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    Greg Evans wrote:
    > Henry ([email protected]) was wondering:
    >
    >> Has anyone here ever participated in this 100 mile century which traverses TN, GA, and AL. I
    >> would appreciate some first hand information if you would be so kind. Thanks.
    >

    > This will be my 3rd year doing this ride. If you haven't already, take a look at the route
    > description at: <http://www.chattbike.com/events/3_state/3st100.htm> as you can tell from the
    > elevation profile, the 3 main climbs are each a bit steeper than the one before; The last climb,
    > Burkhalter Gap (Signal Mountain), is just plain evil... you've got ~80 miles in you at that point,
    > and the climb gets steeper as you go, near the top there's a curve which it seems the top is just
    > beyond, but rounding the turn you are face to face with a WALL.
    >
    > As it mentions at the above link there is a quite a bit of traffic on the early part of the
    > course, which thins considerably after the Top of Suck Creek Mountain. Overall, I find it to be a
    > CHALLENGING, well-supported ride, with a well marked route. Take a look at what others have said
    > about it at: <http://www.chattbike.com/events/3_state/2001/comments.htm> The Chattanooga bike club
    > site has a wealth of info about the ride.
    >
    > Hope to see you there, I'll be the skinny slow guy on the white and blue Fuji.

    Just a minor correction, Burkhalter Gap Road goes up Lookout Mountain. (It's across the river
    from Signal!) I never have to brake for the stop sign driving the car up to the top. Just ease
    off the gas 30 feet back, and the car coasts to a stop. I've never cycled up it, though. Suspect
    I'll be walking.

    Hoping to ride this one this year.

    Pat
    --
    Apologies to those easily confused. Address is spam-resistant. Correct email address like pdlamb
    'round-about comcast point net.

  4. Greg Evans

    Greg Evans Guest

    I had said:

    > The last climb, Burkhalter Gap (Signal Mountain), is just plain evil

    Patrick Lamb pointed out:
    > Just a minor correction, Burkhalter Gap Road goes up Lookout Mountain. (It's across the river from
    > Signal!)

    Ooops... I knew that, I lived in Chattanooga until 5 years ago. My only excuse is that I've spent
    more time on Signal than on Lookout (or maybe I'm just goofy).

    :eek:) Greg

  5. Glaucman

    Glaucman Guest

    Greg Evans replied

    > This will be my 3rd year doing this ride. If you haven't already, take a look at the route
    > description at: <http://www.chattbike.com/events/3_state/3st100.htm>

    Thanks Greg this is a very informative site.

    Greg what gears are generally found on the bikes at this event. I run a Campag 53/39 with a 12/25
    cassette. I have the option of going to a
    13/26 cassette but I don't know if it would be of that much of a benefit. What is your opinion?

    Henry

  6. Greg Evans

    Greg Evans Guest

    Henry (GlaucMan) wondered:

    > Greg what gears are generally found on the bikes at this event. I run a Campag 53/39 with a 12/25
    > cassette. I have the option of going to a
    > 13/26 cassette but I don't know if it would be of that much of a benefit. What is your opinion?

    I would go with the 13-26; I'd rather have a lower gear and not need it than need it and not have
    it. Your knees will thank you on the way up Burkhalter Gap.

    Greg