Three velcro straps sufficient?

Claus Assmann

Guest
I'm wondering whether road cycling shoes with "just" three velcro
straps are "good enough" or whether a having a ratchet strap is
"required" to securely hold the foot in place. I used to have
(Adidas) shoes with laces (and two velcro straps), but those aren't
made anymore. Are those velcro straps durable enough? My previous
shoes have been in use for about ten years, now one of straps is
coming apart, even though the main "force" was supplied by the laces
(which had to be replaced every few years). If those straps break
after a few years then it doesn't seem to make much sense to me
to buy expensive shoes with "just" three velcro straps.

For example: would you buy DMT Mag Light shoes or DMT Mag Force
Shoes?

Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> I'm wondering whether road cycling shoes with "just" three velcro
> straps are "good enough" or whether a having a ratchet strap is
> "required" to securely hold the foot in place. I used to have
> (Adidas) shoes with laces (and two velcro straps), but those aren't
> made anymore. Are those velcro straps durable enough? My previous
> shoes have been in use for about ten years, now one of straps is
> coming apart, even though the main "force" was supplied by the laces
> (which had to be replaced every few years). If those straps break
> after a few years then it doesn't seem to make much sense to me
> to buy expensive shoes with "just" three velcro straps.

Personally, I avoid Velcro whenever possible. (And wish it were more
possible.) I have nightmares about trunk bags being held on with that
stuff.
Any well-stocked bike shop (or REI) will have a good selection of
shoes, and you can compare that and other qualities. Shoes, like bikes
themselves, are a highly individual choice.

Bill

| We should invade their countries, kill their |
| leaders, and convert them to Christianity! |
| --Ann Coulter |

On Apr 28, 3:08 pm, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> I'm wondering whether road cycling shoes with "just" three velcro
> straps are "good enough" or whether a having a ratchet strap is
> "required" to securely hold the foot in place. I used to have
> (Adidas) shoes with laces (and two velcro straps), but those aren't
> made anymore. Are those velcro straps durable enough? My previous
> shoes have been in use for about ten years, now one of straps is
> coming apart, even though the main "force" was supplied by the laces
> (which had to be replaced every few years). If those straps break
> after a few years then it doesn't seem to make much sense to me
> to buy expensive shoes with "just" three velcro straps.

You've never had stuff fixed before? If you manage to wear out the
velcro, have a dry cleaner or cobbler sew on a new bit for ten or
twenty bucks. Or, treat yourself to new shoes every few years.

What I loathe are overly complicated fastening systems on non-racing
shoes. Either gimme laces or velcro, but not both. I don't need belts
and suspenders.

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:53:57 -0700 (PDT), landotter
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Apr 28, 3:08 pm, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
>please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
>> I'm wondering whether road cycling shoes with "just" three velcro
>> straps are "good enough" or whether a having a ratchet strap is
>> "required" to securely hold the foot in place. I used to have
>> (Adidas) shoes with laces (and two velcro straps), but those aren't
>> made anymore. Are those velcro straps durable enough? My previous
>> shoes have been in use for about ten years, now one of straps is
>> coming apart, even though the main "force" was supplied by the laces
>> (which had to be replaced every few years). If those straps break
>> after a few years then it doesn't seem to make much sense to me
>> to buy expensive shoes with "just" three velcro straps.

>You've never had stuff fixed before? If you manage to wear out the
>velcro, have a dry cleaner or cobbler sew on a new bit for ten or
>twenty bucks. Or, treat yourself to new shoes every few years.
>
>What I loathe are overly complicated fastening systems on non-racing
>shoes. Either gimme laces or velcro, but not both. I don't need belts
>and suspenders.

I regard the velcro fastened flaps perfect for keeping shoe laces out
of the chain. They also keep mud out of the laces and add that aero
edge without having to wear those goofy looking booties.

I dyed the blue straps black to match the rest of the shoe before
wearing them. Counting on only two straps to secure a shoe one might
as well wear loafers.
--
zk

On Apr 28, 7:56 pm, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:53:57 -0700 (PDT), landotter
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Apr 28, 3:08 pm, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
> >please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> >> I'm wondering whether road cycling shoes with "just" three velcro
> >> straps are "good enough" or whether a having a ratchet strap is
> >> "required" to securely hold the foot in place. I used to have
> >> (Adidas) shoes with laces (and two velcro straps), but those aren't
> >> made anymore. Are those velcro straps durable enough? My previous
> >> shoes have been in use for about ten years, now one of straps is
> >> coming apart, even though the main "force" was supplied by the laces
> >> (which had to be replaced every few years). If those straps break
> >> after a few years then it doesn't seem to make much sense to me
> >> to buy expensive shoes with "just" three velcro straps.

> >You've never had stuff fixed before? If you manage to wear out the
> >velcro, have a dry cleaner or cobbler sew on a new bit for ten or
> >twenty bucks. Or, treat yourself to new shoes every few years.

> >What I loathe are overly complicated fastening systems on non-racing
> >shoes. Either gimme laces or velcro, but not both. I don't need belts
> >and suspenders.

> I regard the velcro fastened flaps perfect for keeping shoe laces out
> of the chain. They also keep mud out of the laces and add that aero
> edge without having to wear those goofy looking booties.

/snort!

"Aero edge" you say?? I ran out of cable ends when I recabled the
front brake on my fixie a couple days ago and used an upside down
silver ferrule crimped flat--compared to a traditional cable end, I
imagine the turbulence in that area is down scads!

landotter wrote:

> I ran out of cable ends when I recabled the
> front brake on my fixie a couple days ago ...

Should one avoid laced shoes when riding a fixed gear?

I don't have a fixed gear bike, just wondering.

On Apr 28, 10:00 pm, "ZBicyclist" <[email protected]> wrote:
> landotter wrote:
>
> > I ran out of cable ends when I recabled the
> > front brake on my fixie a couple days ago ...

> Should one avoid laced shoes when riding a fixed gear?
>
> I don't have a fixed gear bike, just wondering.

I used to ride mine with traditional lace up shoes, no problem, just
made sure the laces were short and very tightly knotted. You gotta
watch out for floppy pants, too. Also, never work on your fixed
drivetrain while inebriated or distracted.

I now use walkable mtb shoes with three velcro straps with that bike.
I don't wear them very tight. I was thankful for this last year when
I'd been off the fixie for a good month and got distracted when on it--
the classic way to get thrown, but it simply ripped my left shoe off.
I'd occasionally been flipping it to freewheel--but finally removed
that yesterday, because when I'm on that bike, I don't ever want to
forget that I'm riding something a bit more attention demanding. Only
ever had that one little incident--but that's all it takes. Yikes.

That all said, a shoelace in the chain probably wouldn't take you down.

On Apr 28, 3:08 pm, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> I'm wondering whether road cycling shoes with "just" three velcro
> straps are "good enough" or whether a having a ratchet strap is
> "required" to securely hold the foot in place. I used to have
> (Adidas) shoes with laces (and two velcro straps), but those aren't
> made anymore. Are those velcro straps durable enough? My previous
> shoes have been in use for about ten years, now one of straps is
> coming apart, even though the main "force" was supplied by the laces
> (which had to be replaced every few years). If those straps break
> after a few years then it doesn't seem to make much sense to me
> to buy expensive shoes with "just" three velcro straps.
>
> For example: would you buy DMT Mag Light shoes or DMT Mag Force
> Shoes?

It seems you're posing two questions, one about stability and a second
about durability. As for stability, three velcro straps and no laces
have worked fine for me for the last six years or so but my feet
aren't your feet. Only you can decide if three straps alone are
sufficient.
Durability is another matter though. What advantage are you expecting
from the ratchet strap on the MagForce shoe? The shoe still has just
three straps. Velcro can wear out and break but so can even the "best"
small plastic part. If that ratchet breaks you're stuck with two
straps until and unless you can get a new ratchet assembly. Have you
ever tried to find that kind of part in a quick trip to the LBS?
I'm a firm believer in the twin corrolaries to Murphy's Law-
1- "If something can break, it will."
2- "The more difficult or expensive an item is to replace, the more
likely it is to break."

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Most velcro straps Ive seen on biking shoes are just intended to hold
the flap covering the laces. However, I have two straps on my now pretty
ancient Specialized Sport MTB shoes and I have never used the laces on
them at all, just the two straps. And they have held fine, even while
pulling up hard on some really steep hills.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:00:32 -0500, "ZBicyclist"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>landotter wrote:
>>
>> I ran out of cable ends when I recabled the
>> front brake on my fixie a couple days ago ...

>Should one avoid laced shoes when riding a fixed gear?
>
>I don't have a fixed gear bike, just wondering.

Some of the hipsters favour slip-ons and double toe straps..

A cotton shoe lace has a better chance of breaking before taking you
down than has a jean cuff or nylon lace should it become caught.

I always tuck mine under a few of the lower lace crossings to keep
them out of the way. I do that regardless of the bike I'm riding or
shoes I'm wearing.
--
zk

Bob wrote:
> On Apr 28, 3:08 pm, Claus Assmann wrote:
> > I'm wondering whether road cycling shoes with "just" three velcro
> > straps are "good enough" or whether a having a ratchet strap is
> > "required" to securely hold the foot in place. I used to have

> It seems you're posing two questions, one about stability and a second
> about durability. As for stability, three velcro straps and no laces

First: thanks for your answer!
Second: there are probably even more questions.

> have worked fine for me for the last six years or so but my feet
> aren't your feet. Only you can decide if three straps alone are
> sufficient.

Sidi added some plastic "hooks" to their velcro straps (they call
it "Security Velcro") to prevent slipping. So maybe they had problems
with using just the velcro?

> Durability is another matter though. What advantage are you expecting
> from the ratchet strap on the MagForce shoe? The shoe still has just

The straps on my old shoes are coming apart at the "loop" (is that
the right name for it? It's the (metal) part through which the strap
"loops" back onto itself; on cheaper shoes that part was made out
of plastic and broke easily), even though the straps are made out
of kevlar (or something similar). Such a "point of failure" does
not exist for a ratchet strap (AFAICT).

Last, but not least there is the combination of durability and
stability: does the stability deteriorate over time? That is, will
the velcro straps still hold the foot securely after a few years?

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:08:30 +0000, Claus Assmann wrote:

> I'm wondering whether road cycling shoes with "just" three velcro straps
> are "good enough" or whether a having a ratchet strap is "required" to
> securely hold the foot in place. I used to have (Adidas) shoes with laces
> (and two velcro straps), but those aren't made anymore. Are those velcro
> straps durable enough? My previous shoes have been in use for about ten
> years, now one of straps is coming apart, even though the main "force" was
> supplied by the laces (which had to be replaced every few years). If those
> straps break after a few years then it doesn't seem to make much sense to
> me to buy expensive shoes with "just" three velcro straps.
>
> For example: would you buy DMT Mag Light shoes or DMT Mag Force Shoes?

My Sidis have just two straps and they've worked fine for over a decade.
They're finally falling apart.

My next pair will be the three strap Sidis because they happen to be
better shoes than the two strap ones, nothing to do with the number of
straps.

Straps seem to give less trouble over time than buckles and are $100
cheaper in the case of Sidis.

Matt O.

In article <ad2abdd3-c5b1-40a8-808e-81bf5421fde4@e53g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
landotter <[email protected]> writes:

> "Aero edge" you say?? I ran out of cable ends when I recabled the
> front brake on my fixie a couple days ago and used an upside down
> silver ferrule crimped flat--compared to a traditional cable end, I
> imagine the turbulence in that area is down scads!

I always figured it was prettier to tightly & neatly
wrap those cable ends with fine copper wire, and
give 'em a taste of solder bead. I dunno how aero
it is, but it's appealing to the discerning eye.

A li'l bit of Borax[tm] helps to flux around
any vestigal packing grease on the cable ends.

I'd almost be inclined to somehow stick
skull valve caps on 'em. 'specially if
they're chrome, or if they at least
look metallic.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

On Apr 28, 3:08 pm, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> I'm wondering whether road cycling shoes with "just" three velcro
> straps are "good enough" or whether a having a ratchet strap is
> "required" to securely hold the foot in place. I used to have
> (Adidas) shoes with laces (and two velcro straps), but those aren't
> made anymore. Are those velcro straps durable enough? My previous
> shoes have been in use for about ten years, now one of straps is
> coming apart, even though the main "force" was supplied by the laces
> (which had to be replaced every few years). If those straps break
> after a few years then it doesn't seem to make much sense to me
> to buy expensive shoes with "just" three velcro straps.
>
> For example: would you buy DMT Mag Light shoes or DMT Mag Force
> Shoes?

I only got an "all velcro" closing pair of shoes last year, so I can't
really comment on durability under load. I did notice the velcro
straps weren't as grippy on an old pair (with laces underneath) after
five or six years. OTOH, my Sidi buckles had to be replaced after
about that long. OTOOH, I replaced the buckle with a screwdriver, vs.
taking the shoes to a cobbler.

Don't know about the DMT shoes.

Pat