three wheels versus four

Darrell

Guest
What are the relative advantages/disadvantages of a tricycle versus a four wheeler. Of course
the four wheeler will be heavier. I am assuming that we talking about sophisticated trikes vs
four wheelers.

Darrell wrote:

> What are the relative advantages/disadvantages of a tricycle versus a four wheeler. Of course the
> four wheeler will be heavier. I am assuming that we talking about sophisticated trikes vs four
> wheelers.

It is easier to avoid potholes with a quad compared to a trike (two wheel tracks vs. three).

Tom "Happy my tadpole has rear suspension" Sherman - Quad Cities

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Darrell wrote:
>
> > What are the relative advantages/disadvantages of a tricycle versus a
four
> > wheeler. Of course the four wheeler will be heavier. I am assuming
that we
> > talking about sophisticated trikes vs four wheelers.
>
> It is easier to avoid potholes with a quad compared to a trike (two wheel tracks vs. three).
>
> Tom "Happy my tadpole has rear suspension" Sherman - Quad Cities

But with a quad aren't you more likely to hit one since you have more wheels?

Originally posted by Mark Leuck
"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Darrell wrote:
>
> > What are the relative advantages/disadvantages of a tricycle versus a
four
> > wheeler. Of course the four wheeler will be heavier. I am assuming
that we
> > talking about sophisticated trikes vs four wheelers.
>
> It is easier to avoid potholes with a quad compared to a trike (two wheel tracks vs. three).
>
> Tom "Happy my tadpole has rear suspension" Sherman - Quad Cities

But with a quad aren't you more likely to hit one since you have more wheels?

Nope, you more options to avoid the hole.

But, if you do you'e almost assured of getting two wheels into the pothole.

Originally posted by Darrell
What are the relative advantages/disadvantages of a tricycle versus a four wheeler. Of course
the four wheeler will be heavier. I am assuming that we talking about sophisticated trikes vs
four wheelers.

4 wheel advantages:
better handling, you always have two outside wheels at the outside track;
less aero drag than a tadpole- the trailing wheels are slipstreaming the fronts(the wedge shaped lower drag coefficient of the delta may offset this extra frontal area of the extra track).

3 wheel advanges:
weight;
lower rolling resistance with one less wheel;
simpler drive trains feasible.

meb <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Darrell wrote:
> > What are the relative advantages/disadvantages of a tricycle versus a four wheeler. Of course
> > the four wheeler will be heavier. I am assuming that we talking about sophisticated trikes vs
> > four wheelers.
>
> 4 wheel advantages: better handling, you always have two outside wheels at the outside track; less
> aero drag than a tadpole- the trailing wheels are slipstreaming the fronts(the wedge shaped lower
> drag coefficient of the delta may offset this extra frontal area of the extra track).
>
> 3 wheel advanges: weight; lower rolling resistance with one less wheel; simpler drive trains
> feasible.

A 3-wheeler can get away without suspension. (3 points determine a plane, right?) A 4-wheeler *must*
have suspension on at least one axle, otherwise you'll end up twisting the frame or hang one wheel
in the air... or both.

Jeff

Mark Leuck wrote:

> But with a quad aren't you more likely to hit one since you have more wheels?

No. With a quad there are two wheel tracks, so many potholes or road debris can be straddled
(especially since the front wheels are in the rider's field of vision). Doing this on a tadpole
trike usually results in the rear wheel hitting the object or pothole. Rear suspension is very
useful in these situations.

On the Dragonflyer, the combination of 53-406 Maxxis Hookworm tires and rear suspension allows me to
ride in comfort over many road conditions that would be hazardous to a single-track HPV.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

meb wrote:

> 4 wheel advantages: better handling, you always have two outside wheels at the outside track; less
> aero drag than a tadpole- the trailing wheels are slipstreaming the fronts...

Unless proven wrong by objective testing, I will disagree on this point. The rear wheel of a tadpole
is mostly in the "wind shadow" of the rider and seat, so it will contribute little to overall
aerodynamic drag (especially with wheel discs).

The rear wheels of a quad are too far behind the front wheels to benefit from the front wheels'
"draft". In all likelihood, the turbulence created by the front wheels will result in the rear
wheels have higher aerodynamic drag than the front wheels (assuming identical wheels and tires front
and back).

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

"Darrell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> What are the relative advantages/disadvantages of a tricycle versus a four wheeler. Of course the
> four wheeler will be heavier. I am assuming that we talking about sophisticated trikes vs four
> wheelers.

A little OT, but here's a nice looking four-wheeler: http://www.tmaauto.com/tma-
auto/attachment.php?s=099c4a16a43403b3125edb71e305278b&attachmentid=492 (URL made need reassembly)
Here's a video: http://autos.msn.com/home/streamingvideo.aspx?src=Home&pos=SV

Old hot-rodders recall that WWII aircraft "belly tanks" were sometimes converted into race cars.
Recently GM made this modern version of the So-Cal racer.

Jeff

Jeff Wills wrote:

> Old hot-rodders recall that WWII aircraft "belly tanks" were sometimes converted into race cars.
> Recently GM made this modern version of the So-Cal racer.

Old HPV'ers recall that the late Jacek Ziolkowski built a monocoque streamliner from a MIG 17 drop
tank. http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/1999/mig17.jpg

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/