Threshold Intervals on Computrainer

cbjesseeNH

Jun 10, 2005
Some have said that one can more readily push FTP up by pushing up from the bottom rather than pulling up from the top. So I'm wondering if there is any use in breaking out of the usual square-wave threshold intervals.

My usual Threshold Intervals on the Computrainers are just blocks of Xmin at FTP interspersed by Ymin at the low-end endurance range (as calculated by RaceDay) - like 3 x (10min 211W/2min 118W). I'm less concerned about feedback on the value of 2x10, 2x20, etc., than I am in the structure of these blocks.

Noting that each zone has a range (like Threshold 190W - 221W), is there any value in making erg files like:

1. 10min 206W/2min 118W/10min 221W/2min 118W/10min 190W

2. 10min (ramp 206W to 221W)/2min 118W/10min (ramp 221W to 206W)/2min 118W/10min ramp (206W to 190W).

Any productive comments welcome.

A couple of thoughts:

- Threshold intervals really need to be sustained for the duration, not just averaged out to fall into the appropriate intensity range if they include periods much longer than 15 to 30 seconds where your intensity is substantially below the intended range. IOW, two hard periods broken by more than 30 seconds of easy riding is really two short back to back intervals, not one sustained effort. If you keep interruptions shorter than about 30 seconds your body doesn't really respond quickly enough to start recovering which is handy for outdoor rides with the occasional traffic interruption.

- Threshold efforts should be a bare minimum of 10 minutes long and that really is the starting point for much training value as it takes 7 to 8 minutes just to get the body relying primarily on sustainable metabolic processes which is what you're trying to train with these efforts. Personally I try to make my shortest Threshold efforts 12 minutes long and have had much better luck with longer efforts in the 15 to 30 minute range.

So your efforts listed could work but I'd personally prefer to stretch the 'on' intervals a bit beyond 10 minutes instead of breaking them up with short rest intervals. But there's nothing wrong with either of the progressions you list and I've seen a lot of other creative approaches like a few minutes at the low end of your range ramping straight into the middle or high end of your range. Alternatively I've had some good luck with the occasional preload effort where you go right to the top end of your target range for a couple of minutes, back down to the low end of your range and then either ramp back up of finish with another couple of minutes at the high end. The CT makes it easy to program all kinds of interesting variations and there are all kinds of theories advocating different approaches.

Good luck,
-Dave

I wouldn't over think it.

Just on there and get the work done in and around the right levels.

If it helps to program in some micro rests, make an erg file with variable power, etc, then do it. They are for the brain as much as the body - helps to pass the time. Once you realise the rests aren't required, then replace them with micro-surges instead. They serve as markers to help the time pass.

I have been using the training peaks erg builder and it's excellent for designing a whole range of sessions (I run an indoor training centre with 8 x Computrainers in a multi-rider set up).

For newer riders I do tend to start them off with shorter efforts near TT pace, like 5-min and do several of them, gradually lengthening them as they become accustomed to interval work.

Thanks for the helpful comments.

I DID find out last evening, that the time to try ramp intervals from 105-100% of FTP isn't right after adjusting FTP up 8%. That 8% + 5% = 13% boost was a killer :D