Ths should be fun - now I get to see that I'm putting out 3.5 watts.



swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
428
83
:D

So I took the plunge and ordered up a new wheel.

Powertap 2.4 SL, 32 spoke, cx-ray spokes, velocity aerohead OC rim (in full on Manchester United red!) Pimpin'.

I know I said I was gonna go for the Pro - but I normally ride most of the time on the trainer with the front of the bike completely covered by a really big towel - so the wireless functionality adds a whole bunch of convenience.

After pretty much being off the bike, apart from a couple of weeks in July, for the last 4 months this should be interesting - moreso because of the lung function issues I've been having. I recently had a lung function test and will have another in December so it'd be interesting to have lung function numbers to go with the actual power numbers.
 

frenchyge

New Member
Apr 3, 2005
4,687
4
0
swampy1970 said:
...I'm putting out 3.5 watts.
Is that before the 40% Powercrank power boost, or after? :D

Hope the lung issue gets solved, and look forward to hearing about how the PM works for you. :)
 

swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
428
83
frenchyge said:
Is that before the 40% Powercrank power boost, or after? :D

Hope the lung issue gets solved, and look forward to hearing about how the PM works for you. :)
It was a bit less before - around .36 watts, but I don't eat as much 3.14 these days.
 

swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
428
83
Well, I got it... the wheel is on the bike, manual read, torque zero'd, HR monitor strap discovered etc etc and all seems to be working fine. Pitty that after the long day at work and the 2.5 hour drive back from the bike shop that I got the wheel from that I have the mother of all headaches, so all I did was just a few minutes just to 'play'.

Hopefully tommorrow night I can get some numbers as a baseline. At around 89kg I'm not expecting the best power to weight ratio. LOL. Neither am I expecting much in the way of power.

I wonder if Alex's inspirational improvement can inspire me and my iffy lungs to something better than I think I'm going to do...
 

frost

Member
Oct 25, 2007
414
6
18
swampy1970 said:
Well, I got it... the wheel is on the bike, manual read, torque zero'd...
Great! At least for me the first ride outdoors was really surprising and eyesopening. Especially with your weight (I am in the same league) you won't believe your eyes where the power jumps when you get off the saddle to power up a small bump in the road. On the other hand the trouble to keep up the steady figure that was in your mind
biggrin.gif
.
I think you will find it very very inspiring tool.
 

Felt_Rider

Well-Known Member
Oct 24, 2004
3,257
54
48
swampy1970 said:
Well, I got it... the wheel is on the bike, manual read, torque zero'd, HR monitor strap discovered etc etc and all seems to be working fine. Pitty that after the long day at work and the 2.5 hour drive back from the bike shop that I got the wheel from that I have the mother of all headaches, so all I did was just a few minutes just to 'play'.

Hopefully tommorrow night I can get some numbers as a baseline. At around 89kg I'm not expecting the best power to weight ratio. LOL. Neither am I expecting much in the way of power.

I wonder if Alex's inspirational improvement can inspire me and my iffy lungs to something better than I think I'm going to do...
Good deal!!! :)
Do you have a copy of WKO+ yet?
Maybe the lung issue will clear soon.

I am now at the point of having some data to track in the Performance Manager. I just wish I had more time in the day to commit, but with the economy as it is and work being much more competitive these days with more unemployed folks willing to come in and offer the same service with less pay I best keep that my priority at the moment.

My First Bit of Data (recreational level rider) :D
 

swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
428
83
Not as good as I'd hoped but not as bad as I feared. I did 20 minutes and took the average and multiplied by .9 and got 259watts.

After basically several months off the bike I can live with that for now.
 

Alex Simmons

Active Member
Mar 12, 2006
2,471
40
38
swampy1970 said:
Not as good as I'd hoped but not as bad as I feared. I did 20 minutes and took the average and multiplied by .9 and got 259watts.

After basically several months off the bike I can live with that for now.
With your lungs and my leg, a champion team :p, or is that meant to be the other way round?? :confused: :D
 

Bailsibub

New Member
Jun 7, 2007
189
0
0
Swampy, I don't know what's been going on with your lungs. But I had bad problems with mine this spring. I basically didn't train for three months. Well, I'd get on the bike and barely be able to turn the pedals over. I'd be at work, sitting and writing, thinking I was about to pass out because I wasn't getting enough air into my system.

I went to a number of docs, and one of them carpet bombed me with 10 days of antibiotics. That got the engine going again!

There's something going on with my lungs, definitely. I was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma a long time ago. But the doc seemed to think I have allergy issues (although I was tested when I was diagnosed with the EIA and they found I had the most minor allergy to one specific tree). Anyway, I think I need to get my tail back to the doc here now that I'm not riding as much these days (only 2x20s ;) ) and get an allergy test.
 

swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
428
83
Alex Simmons said:
With your lungs and my leg, a champion team :p, or is that meant to be the other way round?? :confused: :D
LOL.

After that 'ftp' test last night I do believe that we'd be better off if you rode and I pumped up the tires...
 

swampy1970

Well-Known Member
Feb 3, 2008
10,098
428
83
Bailsibub said:
Swampy, I don't know what's been going on with your lungs. But I had bad problems with mine this spring. I basically didn't train for three months. Well, I'd get on the bike and barely be able to turn the pedals over. I'd be at work, sitting and writing, thinking I was about to pass out because I wasn't getting enough air into my system.

I went to a number of docs, and one of them carpet bombed me with 10 days of antibiotics. That got the engine going again!

There's something going on with my lungs, definitely. I was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma a long time ago. But the doc seemed to think I have allergy issues (although I was tested when I was diagnosed with the EIA and they found I had the most minor allergy to one specific tree). Anyway, I think I need to get my tail back to the doc here now that I'm not riding as much these days (only 2x20s ;) ) and get an allergy test.
I was wondering about the allergy thing - but I can't really think of anything that's changed in the past 6 to 9 months other than getting another car that I use to commute - it'd be a pisser if there was some random mold in the vents/carpet LOL

I think I'm going to head back to the docs and see what he has any other ideas whilst we're waiting for the next set of tests in December.