Thule 599xt bike carrier

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by rparsons, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. rparsons

    rparsons Guest

    Has anyone tried mounting a Thule 599xt bike carrier directly to the
    cross beams of a factory roof rack? I called Thule and they said you
    can't do it, but when I look at the mounting clamps and instruction
    sheet (from an open box at the store), it looks like it would work.

  2. "rparsons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > Has anyone tried mounting a Thule 599xt bike carrier directly to the
    > cross beams of a factory roof rack? I called Thule and they said you
    > can't do it, but when I look at the mounting clamps and instruction
    > sheet (from an open box at the store), it looks like it would work.

    I wouldn't. The cross-bars on most factory roof carriers with which cars
    are equipped are designed for a different purpose.

    Thule sells a system called the "tracker" consisting of "adaptors" which
    lock securely into the car's roof-rack "channel" and onto which rack
    components are securely locked in turn. At highway speeds, there are
    twisting moments applied to rack components for which factory racks are not
    designed. Thule's racks ARE designed to withstand these forces.

    They're relatively inexpensive when compared to the cost not only of the
    loss of your bicycle(s) but what you'll owe that tailgater when your factory
    roof rack with its cargo goes through his windshield. If you had a Thule
    cross bar attached to your car's factory rack, neither Thule nor your car's
    manufacturer would be able to help you out with your loan application to pay
    for it.