Thule 599xt bike carrier

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by rparsons, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. rparsons

    rparsons New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2004
    Has anyone tried mounting a Thule 599xt bike carrier directly to the cross beams of a factory roof rack? I called Thule and they said you can't do it, but when I look at the mounting clamps and instruction sheet (from an open box at the store), it looks like it would work.

    Tags:

  2. "rparsons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Has anyone tried mounting a Thule 599xt bike carrier
    > directly to the cross beams of a factory roof rack? I
    > called Thule and they said you can't do it, but when I
    > look at the mounting clamps and instruction sheet (from an
    > open box at the store), it looks like it would work.

    I wouldn't. The cross-bars on most factory roof carriers
    with which cars are equipped are designed for a
    different purpose.

    Thule sells a system called the "tracker" consisting of
    "adaptors" which lock securely into the car's roof-rack
    "channel" and onto which rack components are securely
    locked in turn. At highway speeds, there are twisting
    moments applied to rack components for which factory racks
    are not designed. Thule's racks ARE designed to withstand
    these forces.

    They're relatively inexpensive when compared to the cost not
    only of the loss of your bicycle(s) but what you'll owe that
    tailgater when your factory roof rack with its cargo goes
    through his windshield. If you had a Thule cross bar
    attached to your car's factory rack, neither Thule nor your
    car's manufacturer would be able to help you out with your
    loan application to pay for it.