Thule or Yakima fork mount?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jon Bond, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    Ok, lease ran up on the (newer) Jeep, so my dad's got an ovloV XC now. It came with a square-bar
    rack, but no hitch mount. And since its leased, we're not going to get one installed, because if we
    did we'd have to get the dealer to do it and that would be expen$ive.

    We've got a couple old roof racks, the kind that clamp the down tube. Unfortunately, they won't hold
    my dad's or my bike because the downtubes are too big. All our bikes are QR and standard axle, so I
    figure an axle mount one would be better for our bikes now.

    The question is, Thule or Yakima? Thule would be the Velo Vise V2 (The disc compatible one) because
    I've got some XT disc brakes on the way (and Marathon SL, woohoo!). Not sure about the disc wheels
    yet, but they'll be on there eventually! Also, we'd probably get a long tray classic, since only one
    bike will have discs. Problems with either of these?

    If we got Yakima, then we'd get a Viper and a Copperhead. Prices are pretty much dead even, although
    I think the copperhead might be 10 or 15 bux more expensive.

    So, which company? I've got a 20% off coupon for performancebike.com, so that would make the thule
    pair (they don't carry yakima) significantly cheaper. But say I didn't have that, which one would
    you go for?

    I've heard horror stories about bouncing front wheels, so I assume the smart thing to do would be
    carry the wheels inside, right?

    Thanks!

    Jon Bond

    Tags:

  2. Jon, I've got a full Thule setup on the VW, and have been all over the place with no problems. Up to
    Clyde's and back with two bikes, Arcadia, Cockaponsett, Vermont, etc. The wheels always go in the
    car, just coz I don't trust the rack-mounts - they look too skinny to do any good.

    Steve

  3. >Ok, lease ran up on the (newer) Jeep, so my dad's got an ovloV XC now. It came with a square-bar
    >rack, but no hitch mount. And since its leased, we're not going to get one installed, because if we
    >did we'd have to get the dealer to do it and that would be expen$ive.
    >
    >We've got a couple old roof racks, the kind that clamp the down tube. Unfortunately, they won't
    >hold my dad's or my bike because the downtubes are too big. All our bikes are QR and standard axle,
    >so I figure an axle mount one would be better for our bikes now.
    >
    >The question is, Thule or Yakima? Thule would be the Velo Vise V2 (The disc compatible one) because
    >I've got some XT disc brakes on the way (and Marathon SL, woohoo!). Not sure about the disc wheels
    >yet, but they'll be on there eventually! Also, we'd probably get a long tray classic, since only
    >one bike will have discs. Problems with either of these?
    >
    >If we got Yakima, then we'd get a Viper and a Copperhead. Prices are pretty much dead even,
    >although I think the copperhead might be 10 or 15 bux more expensive.
    >
    >So, which company? I've got a 20% off coupon for performancebike.com, so that would make the thule
    >pair (they don't carry yakima) significantly cheaper. But say I didn't have that, which one would
    >you go for?
    >
    >I've heard horror stories about bouncing front wheels, so I assume the smart thing to do would be
    >carry the wheels inside, right?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Jon Bond

    Six of one half dozen of another. Either will hold a bike as well as the next. The Thule might clamp
    onto the square bars a little better than the Yakima since it's designed for round cross bars. But I
    doubt it'd make a practical diffence in use.

    Cheers,

    -Andrew

  4. Andrew Thorne wrote:

    > Six of one half dozen of another. Either will hold a bike as well as the next. The Thule might
    > clamp onto the square bars a little better than the Yakima since it's designed for round cross
    > bars. But I doubt it'd make a practical diffence in use.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > -Andrew

    Yakima now includes new clips that attach to square or round crossbars in the box with every
    bike mount.

    Barry