Thule Roof Mounted bike carriers

iwoody

Feb 9, 2010
Hi

I want to purchase a Thule roof mounted bike carrier, either a pro ride (both wheels stay on the bike) or an Outride (front wheel taken off).
What's the most suitable. I have a road bike and a Mountain bike, both will be carried separately.

Thanks

Last Friday, I purchased a Thule 591 ($229.90). This model allows both wheels to remain on the bike. It was recommended to me by another user at the bike shop. It took about ten minutes for the initial unpacking and fitting to our roof racks and about 1 minute to "fit" to the bike. Second and subsequent loadings of the bike took approximately ten seconds! I can't speak highly enough of this carrier - and will be buying a second and third and forgetting about the towbar mounted carrier rack. If you're short in statue, make sure you can reach the rack on the roof!

The Thule 591 can be mounted on either side of the vehicle. Though not imperative, with some time and the right tools, the locking mechanism can reversed so it's on the outside of the vehicle (ie. easy to access). Incidentally, I followed a car this morning that had two of these racks and he hadn't bothered to change the near-side one.

Whichever roof-mounted carrier you choose - don't forget you've got the bikes on the roof! We've two friends who have wiped their bikes off - the first going into a shopping centre car park, the second reversing into their garage. Not pretty!

iwoody said:
Hi

I want to purchase a Thule roof mounted bike carrier, either a pro ride (both wheels stay on the bike) or an Outride (front wheel taken off).
What's the most suitable. I have a road bike and a Mountain bike, both will be carried separately.

Thanks

Thule are excellent roof racks. We have 2 of each attachments on our rack. The disk caliper on my MTB needs to be removed before clipping the folks into the outride carrier, test before buying if you're considering this one. We have a pretty decent car so the last thing I want is a muddy MTB wheel in it, the pro ride carriers do the job nicely.

This is a great roof mounted bike which is very unique and powerful bike, and this bike is meant to designed for all the hiking and back packing activities which can easily accomplished in this special kind of conveyance bike.

iwoody said:
Hi

Thanks

I bought the pro ride recently after borrowing one from a mate - and like the others am very happy with it. The bikes move around a bit, but I figure that means the frame isn't having the same stresses put through it, as the natural movement must (I assume) absorb some of the stresses.

Cheers,
Dim

colebatchd said:
The bikes move around a bit, but I figure that means the frame isn't having the same stresses put through it, as the natural movement must (I assume) absorb some of the stresses.

I must admit, I found that a bit off putting at first. Our bikes haven't fallen off yet, so all is good ;)

iwoody said:
I want to purchase a Thule roof mounted bike carrier, either a pro ride (both wheels stay on the bike) or an Outride (front wheel taken off).What's the most suitable.

I have both types. I prefer taking the front wheel off for adult bikes to keep things as low as possible for clearance. The difference in height may seem small, but I have found it to be meaningful. For kid's bikes with 24" wheels, I am OK with keeping both wheels on.

One problem I had with the type that clamps to the down tube (and allows both wheels to stay on) is breakage of the clamp. The screw that opens and closes the clamp was plastic and snapped after a few times of use. I was fairly careful about over tightening, as I was afraid of damaging the frame (road bike). I felt it was a problem in the design, which may have been improved in newer models. I still have my broken one, but need to use an elastic strap to fasten the clamp.

Once I saw a bike which downtube was damaged by the clamp, don't know if it was excessively tight or what but the damage was done and it practically ruined the frame, I think it was a Cannondale bike.

Solanog said:
Once I saw a bike which downtube was damaged by the clamp, don't know if it was excessively tight or what but the damage was done and it practically ruined the frame, I think it was a Cannondale bike.

That's interesting to know, i've only ever put our MTB's on that kind of carrier. They feel like they're made from solid steel compared to my road bike :D

If a carbon frame is or might become part of the picture, go with a fork mount. Check Thule's specs for disc brake compatibility. Some models are, some aren't.

I think you need to reshape your thinking. Instead of looking for a bike rack, you should look for a wife/girlfriend rack. According to a UN declaration, it's more important to have the bike inside the car than it is to have the Soul Destroyer/girlfriend in the car. If they love, they'll understand.

I wish I would havce bought a roof rack but I just couldn't afford it.

As well as my fear for being that idiot that forgot the bikes were on the roof as I pulled into my garage before taking them off. I KNOW I would be that guy! :D

bianchi10 said:
I wish I would havce bought a roof rack but I just couldn't afford it.

As well as my fear for being that idiot that forgot the bikes were on the roof as I pulled into my garage before taking them off. I KNOW I would be that guy! :D

You´re not alone. I´ve always been afraid of a roofrack because of that same reason. Getting into the garage and leaving the bikes outside in the driveway broken into pieces.