Thule Roof Top Racks - Sidearm

Johnboy

Guest
I'm considering the purchase of a Thule rack system for my Acura TL.
The bike mount I'm specifically interested in is the "Sidearm". I'm
wondering if anyone has this mount, and if so, can you explain how it
secures the bike to the rack? I don't want to have someone walk away
with the bike while it's on the rack. It looks like it secures the
front wheel well enough, but looks like someone could pop the quick
release on the wheel and pull the bike up and off the rack fairly
easily. I've also sent an e-mail to Thule customer support with no
response so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a picture of the Sidearm:
http://thuleracks.com/thule/images/products/594.jpg

Thanks!
John

On Apr 12, 11:24 am, "Johnboy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm considering the purchase of a Thule rack system for my Acura TL.
> The bike mount I'm specifically interested in is the "Sidearm". I'm
> wondering if anyone has this mount, and if so, can you explain how it
> secures the bike to the rack?

Fantastic rack, I just bought two to replace my old ones that clamped
onto the frame from underneath the downtube. The front bar clamps down
over the wheel holding it very securely on the roof. The rear wheel is
held on by a strap. If you have ever locked your bike on the front of
a bus, it is the same type of system.

You can buy a locking system so that a thief can't raise the clamp
bar, but they could just pop your front wheel off and get your bike
that way. If you're worried about security, I would spend the extra
money on a cable lock or something. There isn't really a great way to
secure a bike on a roof though -- the theif can always steal or cut
through the entire rack. Fortunately, not an issue where I live.

Regards,
Anthony