Hey guys, I've been reading some posts on shifters, and I've realized that a lot of you prefer the thumb-index (aka rapidfire?) shifters to the grip shifters. It is mentioned that it's basically just a preferance thing, but I was just wondering why so many of you prefer the thumb-index shifters over the grip shifters. Is there anyone here that does like gripshifters?
Oh, also, I've learned that Gary Fisher is made by Trek. Does this mean their qualities are basically the same? Thanks!
To me, grip shifters feel like they're about to fall to bits in my hand. I'm not a big fan of the wrist movement you need to make to shift them, either.
Rapidfire shifters feel more comfortable to operate and durable in my hands.
I have the grip shifters and while they are serviceable, I would much rather have the rapid fire models.
As to the Gary Fisher, they are excellent bikes and they will stand behind their bikes. Don't know about the quality, but their other divisions, Trek, Lemond, and Klein, are all excellent quality. I would think that Gary Fisher would be the same.
Like you said it is just personal preference. I've put a lot of miles on both and have settled on Gripshift. There are virtues to both styles and you should just try both and go with the one you feel better about.
The quality is excellent for both SRAM and Shimano. Durability is not an issue. There are fewer moving parts and less that can break with the twisters. They are really easy to service for those of us that like to do things ourselves as well. It comes down to you spending as much time on each as possible. Have fun!
Don't like the feel of Gripshift, don't ask me why.
Like rapid-fire on play bikes - the new SRAM rapi-fires might be good too, but I think they may've compromised their usability to avoid patent issues perhaps? Without thinking about it I think most of us change down going into corners while on the brakes. This is easy and natural on rapid-fire, but you'll have trouble changing up while braking (which is the SRAMs new rapidfire-alike claim to fame).
Thumbies (ie. real indexed thumb shifters) are very rare these days - I still have them on my commuter/tourer, as they have far less parts to break than rapid-fire, and like them heaps. Forge are the only makers of 9 speed thumbies I know of (http://www.forge-mtb.com/shifters.asp?cat=FORGEMTB&catalog=FORGEMTBF). They're a bar-end shifter mounted on the bars.