Thumb Shifters

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tbf, Feb 11, 2003.

  1. > If you're so worried about not being able to shift your gears, you should be riding a
    > single speed.

    Nah - that's for folks as don't WANT to shift their gears. Those who are worried about not being
    able to shift are looking for the right shifter for _their_ shifting style. Takes all sorts,
    fortunately.

    Steve

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > If you're so worried about not being able to shift your gears, you should be riding a single
    > > speed.
    > >

    > Nah - that's for folks as don't WANT to shift their gears. Those who are worried about not being
    > able to shift are looking for the right shifter
    for
    > _their_ shifting style. Takes all sorts, fortunately.
    >
    > Steve

    Right, that's it - I'm gonna put thumbies on the freakin' BASE right now!!!!!! You have been
    warned.......

    Shaun aRe - Are they lighter than Deore pods?!?.....

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun R says:
    >
    > >Right, that's it - I'm gonna put thumbies on the freakin' BASE right now!!!!!! You have been
    > >warned.......
    >
    > Thought you might pick up on the "takes all sorts" bit ;-)

    You callen me a dirty DH'er?!?!?

    Shaun aRe

  4. Man!!! I use old Suntour XC-PRo with my XTR groupset on my Klein Attitude Race.. Works like a charm
    and allows me to custom build parts if they brake (they┬┤re from my old Bridgestone MB-0 and have
    never missed a shift).

    I guess it's a question of taste...

    /Henric
    --
    Be safe, wear a helmet!

    > Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > If you're so worried about not being able to shift your gears, you should be riding a single
    > > > speed.
    > > >

    > > Nah - that's for folks as don't WANT to shift their gears. Those who
    are
    > > worried about not being able to shift are looking for the right shifter
    > for
    > > _their_ shifting style. Takes all sorts, fortunately.
    > >
    > > Steve
    >
    > Right, that's it - I'm gonna put thumbies on the freakin' BASE right now!!!!!! You have been
    > warned.......
    >

    > Shaun aRe - Are they lighter than Deore pods?!?.....

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun R raves:
    >
    > >You callen me a dirty DH'er?!?!?
    >
    > If the shoe fits........ ;-)

    I'm not marrying a scullery maid no matter what shoes she wears.

    Shaun aRe

  6. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

  7. Patsplace

    Patsplace New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2003
    I've got Deore thumb shifters on my Kuhara that have been working just fine, without a glitch for about 12 years. I've tried the twist grip shifters and don't like'em and just tried the Rapid Fire shifters and find that they're really complicated for what they do. The Thumbies seem to me to be a better shifter in all regards. I don't see any advantages to them at all.
    Guess that just like noses, everybodies got an opinion.

    Gotta love it,
    Pat

  8. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    And maybe you should drive a Ford Model T.

    Fire up MTB 03

  9. crazy says:

    > And maybe you should drive a Ford Model T.

    Simple, efficient, reliable, breaks most urban speed limits and uses less gas than your average SUV.

    Great thought - bring it on!

    ;-)

    Steve

  10. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On 18 Aug 2003 15:14:13 +0950, Patsplace <[email protected]> blathered:

    >I've got Deore thumb shifters on my Kuhara that have been working just fine, without a glitch for
    >about 12 years. I've tried the twist grip shifters and don't like'em and just tried the Rapid Fire
    >shifters and find that they're really complicated for what they do. The Thumbies seem to me to be a
    >better shifter in all regards.

    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=3417&SP=&v=2

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  11. "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 18 Aug 2003 15:14:13 +0950, Patsplace <[email protected]> blathered:
    >
    > >I've got Deore thumb shifters on my Kuhara that have been working just fine, without a glitch for
    > >about 12 years. I've tried the twist grip shifters and don't like'em and just tried the Rapid
    > >Fire shifters and find that they're really complicated for what they do. The Thumbies seem to me
    > >to be a better shifter in all regards.
    >

    > http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=3417&SP=&v=2

    Just fitted these to my bike at the weekend, pics and review coming soon...

    Steve.

  12. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    Patsplace sez:

    >I've got Deore thumb shifters on my Kuhara that have been working just fine, without a glitch for
    >about 12 years. I've tried the twist grip shifters and don't like'em and just tried the Rapid Fire
    >shifters and find that they're really complicated for what they do. The Thumbies seem to me to be a
    >better shifter in all regards.

    Welcome to the Thumbies Cabal my brother (sister?) Of Seven bikes, five have thumbies (3 Deore {DX},
    2 Deore XT.) They are, no holds barred, the best shifter ever made. They'll even shift 8s if you
    know a couple tricks!

    Nelson <--- High priest of the Thumbies Cabal

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 8/14/2003

  13. Todd Brown

    Todd Brown Guest

    I used to have the same thoughts. My first Mt Bike (an 88 Schwinn Sierra) had Exage Thummies. My
    next bike a DiamondBack Apex had Deore Thumbies (92). I loved them and even switched my wifes bike
    over to Deore Thumbies (from the old under the bar-Push/Push shifters) I loved the fact that you
    could "read them" by feel. You got to know what your gearing was based on where the levers were
    placed, and you could "read" them by simply swinging your thumbs up and feeling where they were.
    When I bought a Gary Fisher in 1999, I complained about the new LX shifters, but only for a few
    rides. I saw the benefits real fast. I just was not used to them. Now I have Kick A$$ Yeti with Xt
    shifters. I would not change them for anything. They really are an improvement as far as Im
    concerned. But to each his/her own. If you like the thumbies, dont change, just keep riding Todd