Thumb tendon pain on road bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by DougOnTwoWheels, Jun 19, 2019.

1. DougOnTwoWheels

DougOnTwoWheels New Member

Hey all,

New to this forum. I usually do a fair amount of both mountain and road cycling but have gotten kinda a late start this year due to a medical condition. Anyways couple days ago I went for a nice 20-25 mile ride on my newly tuned aluminum frame Trek road bike. This bike has standard road bike handle bars with drops though I ride on the hoods 80% of the time. After the ride I noticed that the tendon and or ligaments between my thumb and forefingers on both hands were sore and uncomfortable. So much so that it’s fairly uncomfortable to pick up a cup or other object. It does seem to be improving with time, but I fear I’m just going to re-injure it with time.

Does anyone have any advice to prevent, or mitigate this?

Thanks,
    Doug

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Bike fit is a very personal thing.
    The least uncomfortable of my drop bar bikes, I tried two different brifters, two different bars, two different wraps, three different stems and I don't know how many times I scooted the saddle forward and/or the bar up/down before settling on what I believe to be the ideal for me on that bike.
    It seems like Shimano brifters are generally narrower than Campy brifters.
    Keep in mind that apart from aero, the reason we lean forward is to provide leverage for pedalling. But for that to work you need to keep pushing power through the pedals. If you're tired or not up to your normal stamina, you'll have more weight going through your hands and arms instead.
    It's fairly common to start the season with the bar a notch higher than at the end of season. This makes it easier to support yourself more upright, but with a small bend in the elbows. That bend moves pressure from the crotch of your thumb towards the palm instead.

3. Terry Morse

Terry Morse New Member

My first guess is that it's a sore thumb muscle, probably not a tender or ligament. Thumb muscles are big, and they can get squished when riding in the hoods.

Most likely cause is spending too much time with one hand position, in this case the hoods. Has the pain gone away?

Attached Files:

4. stanliv

stanliv New Member

I had a hybrid I rarely rode because it hurt my hands after only 20 to 30 minutes. Changed out the bars to a "mousetache" style and now really enjoy riding the bike.

5. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Active Member

If your hands hurt, isn't it usually because you have too much weight on them? Raise the bars slightly and give yourself time to adapt.

And wear gloves if you aren't already doing so...that can help a bit as well.