Thunderstorms yesterday

Oaf

Guest
Terrifying ride home yesterday - I had to cycle through a number of
huge thunderstorms which seemed to line a fair part of my route. Not
nice.

Oaf

Oaf wrote:

> Terrifying ride home yesterday - I had to cycle through a number of
> huge thunderstorms which seemed to line a fair part of my route. Not
> nice.

I was sitting on Basingstoke railway Station when the storms hit and
heard this wondeful announcement:
"We are sorry to announce that the 1937 SWT service to Salisbury is
delayed by approximately 8 minutes due to a temporary fault with the
signalling equipment in Aberdeen"

550 miles away? Hmmm.

John B

Oaf came up with the following;:
> Terrifying ride home yesterday - I had to cycle through a number of
> huge thunderstorms which seemed to line a fair part of my route. Not
> nice.

The views of some of the storms across the Hatfield and Thorne marshes, near
Doncaster, which are totally flat for miles and miles, was awesome. I mean,
truly awesome. At one point I think we saw about five sets of lightning
flashes at once, the sky was really lit up over the whole area we could see.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Simon Mason wrote:

> Indeed. I can cope with nearly any type of weather, but I hate lightning and
> hail.

Hail is bad. Fog is bad. Ice is bad. Salt is worst.

But lightning is just fun:)

--
Nick Kew

"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Simon Mason wrote:
>

>> Indeed. I can cope with nearly any type of weather, but I hate
>> lightning and hail.
>>

> Hail is bad. Fog is bad. Ice is bad. Salt is worst.
>
> But lightning is just fun:)

One of my workmates is fine with lightning - it's the *Thunder* that scares the
C**P out of her!

"Oaf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Terrifying ride home yesterday - I had to cycle through a number of
> huge thunderstorms which seemed to line a fair part of my route. Not
> nice.

Some years ago I was at the end of a cycling trip through the Canadian
Rockies. It was summer, and there was a rainstorm with very strong winds.
This was no trouble to me, as the wind was blowing in the direction I was
travelling. For something like three hours I sailed along, barely pedaling,
passing many automobiles that had stopped because they could not see through
the rain on their windscreens. Towards dark I stopped at a campgound to
shower and use their laundry to dry my things out; I ad a small LCD
television and turned it on to see what weather was forecast.

Ten miles ahead of me there had been a tornado that killed 27 people.

Paul - *** wrote:

> The views of some of the storms across the Hatfield and Thorne marshes,
> near Doncaster, which are totally flat for miles and miles, was
> awesome. I mean, truly awesome. At one point I think we saw about five
> sets of lightning flashes at once, the sky was really lit up over the
> whole area we could see.

Hmmm, interesting little contradiction there. Lightning is far and away
most spectacular in the serious mountains. But your account of flat
land makes perfect sense, and I expect you got a better display than
I could reasonably expect in a hilly area like Dartmoor.

--
Nick Kew

Paul - *** <[email protected]> wrote:

> The views of some of the storms across the Hatfield and Thorne marshes, near
> Doncaster, which are totally flat for miles and miles, was awesome. I mean,
> truly awesome. At one point I think we saw about five sets of lightning
> flashes at once, the sky was really lit up over the whole area we could see.

If you want to see how your storm fits in with the rest,
this site is fascinating. Needs Java to work.

http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm

Not very exciting at this moment, but amazing in the right conditions.

-adrian

Adrian Godwin came up with the following;:
> Paul - *** <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The views of some of the storms across the Hatfield and Thorne marshes,
>> near Doncaster, which are totally flat for miles and miles, was awesome.
>> I mean, truly awesome. At one point I think we saw about five sets of
>> lightning flashes at once, the sky was really lit up over the whole area
>> we could see.
>>

> If you want to see how your storm fits in with the rest,
> this site is fascinating. Needs Java to work.
>
> http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm
>
> Not very exciting at this moment, but amazing in the right conditions.

Heheheheh, what a great site, many thanks.

I can just see us now, outside with the laptop on wifi, watching the storms
across the school fields and tracking them at the same time ... ;)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Nick Kew came up with the following;:
> Paul - *** wrote:
>
>> The views of some of the storms across the Hatfield and Thorne marshes,
>> near Doncaster, which are totally flat for miles and miles, was
>> awesome. I mean, truly awesome. At one point I think we saw about five
>> sets of lightning flashes at once, the sky was really lit up over the
>> whole area we could see.
>>

> Hmmm, interesting little contradiction there. Lightning is far and away
> most spectacular in the serious mountains. But your account of flat
> land makes perfect sense, and I expect you got a better display than
> I could reasonably expect in a hilly area like Dartmoor.

We saw a fantastic lightning storm in the Pyrenees a few years ago.
Holidaying in Argeles, South of France, we went mountain biking between
Argeles and Andorra and 'got stuck' between a couple of storm systems.
Fantastic.

But I would say, exactly as you guessed, not as big, or full, a sky as we
get right here. ;)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

> "Oaf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Terrifying ride home yesterday - I had to cycle through a number of
>> huge thunderstorms which seemed to line a fair part of my route. Not
>> nice.

So how safe is it exactly to run with a storm directly overhead...fork
lighning etc.? Less safe than walking, safe as in a car?

--
Mark
______________________________________

Oaf wrote:
> Terrifying ride home yesterday - I had to cycle through a number of
> huge thunderstorms which seemed to line a fair part of my route. Not
> nice.

It was exciting. Fairly early on in the ride I caught a fantastic flash
of lightning in my mirror, like a huge crack in the sky.

My speed was unusually high (I don't know whether that was more to do
with adrenaline or low pressure) until the storm caught up with me.
Then I had to slow down to a speed where I could see enough through my
rain-soaked glasses to see where I was going.

I had to wear a different pair of shoes today. The ones I wore
yesterday are still wet.

"Oaf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Terrifying ride home yesterday - I had to cycle through a number of
> huge thunderstorms which seemed to line a fair part of my route. Not
> nice.
>
> Oaf

Most thunderstorms here seem to be tiddlers compared with the ones I was
used to in Zimbabwe.