Thursday's Risk Factor - iron overload (gene mutation)

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Brad Sheppard, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. My neighbor has the full-blown hemochromatosis and is now at
    death's door.

    "Male carriers of the common hemochromatosis gene mutation
    are at 2-fold risk of a first heart attack compared with
    noncarriers. Some 10% to 20% of the population carry at
    least one gene for hemochromatosis. Full-blown
    hemochromatosis affects about 0.5% and gene carriers usually
    do not know that they are at increased risk. They have
    almost no increase in iron stores over those without the
    mutation [Circulation: Journal of the American Heart
    Association September 21, 1999;100].

    Giving blood is the best way to lower iron stores, but a
    more recent study found no protective effect against heart
    attack among men who donated blood regularly. [Circulation
    January 2, 2001]" http://www.diagnose-
    me.com/cond/C70120.html#H3

    Tags:

  2. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Brad Sheppard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My neighbor has the full-blown hemochromatosis and is now
    > at death's door.
    >
    > "Male carriers of the common hemochromatosis gene mutation
    > are at 2-fold risk of a first heart attack compared with
    > noncarriers. Some 10% to 20% of the population carry at
    > least one gene for hemochromatosis. Full-blown
    > hemochromatosis affects about 0.5% and gene carriers
    > usually do not know that they are at increased risk. They
    > have almost no increase in iron stores over those without
    > the mutation [Circulation: Journal of the American Heart
    > Association September 21, 1999;100].
    >
    > Giving blood is the best way to lower iron stores, but a
    > more recent study found no protective effect against heart
    > attack among men who donated blood regularly. [Circulation
    > January 2, 2001]" http://www.diagnose-
    > me.com/cond/C70120.html#H3

    I avoid vitamins containing iron and also discovered the
    Red Cross won't let you donate blood once you had a
    heart attack.

    Bill

  3. In article
    <[email protected]>,

    > "Brad Sheppard" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > My neighbor has the full-blown hemochromatosis and is
    > > now at death's door.
    Very nasty disease. I know someone who has it too!

    > I avoid vitamins containing iron and also discovered the
    > Red Cross won't let you donate blood once you had a
    > heart attack.
    >
    > Bill
    ............................ Look at this especially if you
    have vitamins and encourage your children to eat them. Site
    and Snippet follows.

    http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/bgiron.html

    January 15, 1997

    Efforts to protect children from accidental iron poisoning
    are getting a boost from new FDA regulations published in
    the Jan. 15, 1997, Federal Register. Accidental overdose of
    iron pills is a leading cause of poisoning deaths among
    young children.

    --
    Garden in Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade Stop Mad Cowboy Disease:
    Vote for John Kerry.