Ti bike for large rider... (6/4 vs. 3/2.5)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by IcemanYQQ, Jul 19, 2006.

1. IcemanYQQ

IcemanYQQ New Member

I have worn out my Colngao Master, over 30,000kms, and a some rust has helped to finish the job. I am 6'2", and about 200lbs. I am a strong rider, Cat. 3, seldom race, enjoy hill climbs (self-punishment), long rides 100 miles, and maybe a time trial once or twice a year.

Is there any real difference between the two grades of Titanium. I am looking at the Vortex vs. Tuscany, and the Merlin 6.4 vs. 3-2.5. Price is not an issue, although I won't spend the extra if I don't need too, I will if a non-pro will notice a big difference in the two rides, if not, there is no sense in wasting money.

Tags:

2. supergrill

supergrill New Member

There are pros and cons to both of the alloys. I have always found much more differences between frames from other design factors, myself, than I could ever assign to the material difference alone. I ended up with a Merlin 3-2.5 last go-around, but that's not to say that at the same pricepoint I would have necessarily chosen one over the other. The following is a pretty good article on summing up some of the differences between the two:

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/624.htm

It obviously is written from a manufacturer with preference and therefore some bias, but I haven't found anything to be misleading about it.

3. IcemanYQQ

IcemanYQQ New Member

Thanks for the link, it was a very interesting and technical read. I am probably leaning towards the 3/2.5, yes he was probably bias, but it didn't really come out in the article.

4. rbtmcardle

rbtmcardle New Member

As a vortex owner (2003) I favor the vortex, cant beat the classic geometry, and as was stated earlier, size fit and geometry have more to do with overall ride feel at these price points.

Enjoy either way you will have a great bike.

5. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

6/4 is a bit stronger, and now that it's available in seamless tubes it can be used to lighten the frame up a bit. For a price of course. At your size, I would worry less about the alloy than about the size of the tube set. Ti frames come in a big range of stiffnesses, and many of them will probably feel way too soft for you.