Ti Bolts for Ritchey Stem

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by 8cht, May 12, 2004.

  1. 8cht

    8cht Guest

    Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for my Ritchey WCS road
    stem? I'm not concerned about the weight difference, it's just that the
    Ritchey bolts have rust in them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts.
    Also, exactly what size and type of bolts do I need to replace the four on
    the face plate and the two bolts on the back of the stem? Thanks in
    advance.

    Tags:

  2. ari

    ari Guest

    your best bet is asking that question here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?s=711bed849a3248c27dca559b2db7409c&f=49

    8cht wrote:

    >Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for my Ritchey WCS road
    >stem? I'm not concerned about the weight difference, it's just that the
    >Ritchey bolts have rust in them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts.
    >Also, exactly what size and type of bolts do I need to replace the four on
    >the face plate and the two bolts on the back of the stem? Thanks in
    >advance.

  3. Henry Morgan

    Henry Morgan Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 19:51:12 -0400, "8cht" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for my Ritchey WCS road
    >stem? I'm not concerned about the weight difference, it's just that the
    >Ritchey bolts have rust in them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts.
    >Also, exactly what size and type of bolts do I need to replace the four on
    >the face plate and the two bolts on the back of the stem? Thanks in
    >advance.

    http://www.racebolts.com

    The bolts are all likely standard metric bolts. They are measured by
    taking the distance across the threads and the length of the threads.
    For instance, a bolt that measures 6mm across with a vernier and 10mm
    in length would be an m6x10. There are no in-between sizes and you can
    use a ruler to measure quite adequately.
    Sometimes, (usually) if you dont know the diameter, a knowledgable
    shop would probably get you the right size based only on the length
    and the size of key the head takes.
    In any case, the link I mentioned above will show you different types.
    The tapered head socket bolts are likely what you need. The tapered
    head just saves a bit more weight. It's the bearing surface under the
    head that is important, not the fact that the head tapers. You can get
    washers if the original application used them.
    Careful with the Ti. It creeps over your bike slowly, but expensively.
    Have fun.

  4. Henry Morgan

    Henry Morgan Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 00:28:04 GMT, Henry Morgan <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 May 2004 19:51:12 -0400, "8cht" <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for my Ritchey WCS road
    >>stem? I'm not concerned about the weight difference, it's just that the
    >>Ritchey bolts have rust in them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts.
    >>Also, exactly what size and type of bolts do I need to replace the four on
    >>the face plate and the two bolts on the back of the stem? Thanks in
    >>advance.
    >>

    >http://www.racebolts.com
    >
    >The bolts are all likely standard metric bolts. They are measured by
    >taking the distance across the threads and the length of the threads.
    >For instance, a bolt that measures 6mm across with a vernier and 10mm
    >in length would be an m6x10. There are no in-between sizes and you can
    >use a ruler to measure quite adequately.
    >Sometimes, (usually) if you dont know the diameter, a knowledgable
    >shop would probably get you the right size based only on the length
    >and the size of key the head takes.
    >In any case, the link I mentioned above will show you different types.
    >The tapered head socket bolts are likely what you need. The tapered
    >head just saves a bit more weight. It's the bearing surface under the
    >head that is important, not the fact that the head tapers. You can get
    >washers if the original application used them.
    >Careful with the Ti. It creeps over your bike slowly, but expensively.
    >Have fun.

    I forgot to mention. The length measurement is taken along the shank,
    NOT including the head.

  5. Chris Neary

    Chris Neary Guest

    >Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for my Ritchey WCS road
    >stem? I'm not concerned about the weight difference, it's just that the
    >Ritchey bolts have rust in them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts.

    Switching to stainless steel bolting will avoid the corrosion issue, and be
    cheaper than going to ti.

    SS bolts are available at better hardware stores.

    Chris Neary
    [email protected]

    "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
    you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
    loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

  6. > Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for my Ritchey WCS
    road
    > stem? I'm not concerned about the weight difference, it's just that the
    > Ritchey bolts have rust in them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts.
    > Also, exactly what size and type of bolts do I need to replace the four on
    > the face plate and the two bolts on the back of the stem? Thanks in
    > advance.

    You might want to reconsider your choice of Ti bolts. Ti hardware is fine
    in many applications, but to use it in a place where failure is, as they
    say, not an option... that's not my first choice for where to put ultralight
    stuff. It's not as strong as the steel hardware it's replacing, and your
    objections about rust can be overcome with stainless steel hardware (or,
    just replace the steel bolts once in a while, or make sure they're lightly
    oiled).

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  7. 8cht wrote:

    > Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for my Ritchey WCS road
    > stem? I'm not concerned about the weight difference, it's just that the
    > Ritchey bolts have rust in them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts.

    I'd prefer to avoid face plants when the Ti bolts fail by using steel bolts.

  8. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for my Ritchey WCS

    > road
    > > stem? I'm not concerned about the weight difference, it's just that the
    > > Ritchey bolts have rust in them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts.
    > > Also, exactly what size and type of bolts do I need to replace the four on
    > > the face plate and the two bolts on the back of the stem? Thanks in
    > > advance.

    > You might want to reconsider your choice of Ti bolts. Ti hardware is fine
    > in many applications, but to use it in a place where failure is, as they
    > say, not an option... that's not my first choice for where to put ultralight
    > stuff. It's not as strong as the steel hardware it's replacing, and your
    > objections about rust can be overcome with stainless steel hardware (or,
    > just replace the steel bolts once in a while, or make sure they're lightly
    > oiled).

    I think Mike is right here. The Ti bolts are just not as strong as they
    need to be, especially in bolts as short as these, where the thread runs
    right up to the bottom of the head. That is the typical failure point.
    Drying that area of the bike off after a wash is important - try using some
    compressed air (if you don't have access to it you can use that canned
    stuff for computer or photo work) - then a little drop of oil. I'd stay
    away from hardware store stainless bolts, too, as they are of unknown
    quality. Try to find a good fastener supply place, if you can.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    "Moby Dick was a work of art, What the hell happened?"

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  9. "Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'd stay
    > away from hardware store stainless bolts, too, as they are of unknown
    > quality. Try to find a good fastener supply place, if you can.

    Is this true (about hardware store quality)?

    Recommendations? Anyone? Thx.

  10. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, No.KirbyPublic2
    @Verizon.no.net says...

    > "Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I'd stay
    > > away from hardware store stainless bolts, too, as they are of unknown
    > > quality. Try to find a good fastener supply place, if you can.
    > >

    > Is this true (about hardware store quality)?

    Depends on the hardware store, but IMO, since most people looking for
    cheap fasteners don't pay the extra for stainless, the stainless is
    likely to be of satisfactory quality.

    newsgroups if possible).

  11. "Kirby Krieger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I'd stay
    > > away from hardware store stainless bolts, too, as they are of unknown
    > > quality. Try to find a good fastener supply place, if you can.
    > >

    > Is this true (about hardware store quality)?
    >
    > Recommendations? Anyone? Thx.

    Hi tensile Allen screws are about as good as you can get.

    Marty

  12. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    "8cht" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for my Ritchey WCS road
    > stem? I'm not concerned about the weight difference, it's just that the
    > Ritchey bolts have rust in them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts.
    > Also, exactly what size and type of bolts do I need to replace the four on
    > the face plate and the two bolts on the back of the stem? Thanks in
    > advance.

    I think the bolts that came with WCS stems are stainless already. I
    wouldn't use ordinally replacements from HW stores because the
    standard sets have nicely polished heads. Contact Ritchey directly and
    I am sure they can help you out. Don't forget to grease them before
    install. WCS is my favorite stem.

  13. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Kirby Krieger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > I'd stay
    > > > away from hardware store stainless bolts, too, as they are of unknown
    > > > quality. Try to find a good fastener supply place, if you can.
    > > >

    > > Is this true (about hardware store quality)?
    > >
    > > Recommendations? Anyone? Thx.
    > >

    > Hi tensile Allen screws are about as good as you can get.

    It still kind of gets down to quality: the ones from fastener supply
    places (like Olander or Danforth) are just better bolts than what you get
    at the local Orchard Supply Hardware. Most readily available steel socket
    head cap screws are of about the same grade (what you're referring to as hi
    tensile), which is roughly in between grade 5 and grade 8, as I recall
    (sorry, I left my Machinery's Handbook at work).

    An example of why I don't care for hardware store bolts: Recently, I had
    to make some tooling to hold a part; it involved some 10-32 socket head cap
    screws, which were to be tightened and removed with a screw driver handle
    hex driver. You can't really make a huge amount of torque with those. On
    about the fifth loosening/tightening cycle, the heads on the OSH brand
    bolts started popping off. But the ones from Olander that we got to replace
    those have been through at least 300 cycles with no loss.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    "Moby Dick was a work of art, What the hell happened?"

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  14. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    [email protected] (Richard Chan) wrote:

    > I think the bolts that came with WCS stems are stainless already. I
    > wouldn't use ordinally replacements from HW stores because the
    > standard sets have nicely polished heads.

    Stainless bolts are almost never polished. Most polished fasteners on
    bikes are chrome plated and capable of rusting in the right
    conditions. It is exceedingly rare for a bike parts manufacturer to
    specify stainless fasteners, because they are both more expensive and
    usually weaker than their carbon steel counterparts.

    In my experience as a career machinist, there is no appreciable
    difference in quality among common stainless bolts and screws from
    different sources. Hardened alloy steel fasteners-- which are usually
    black in color-- come in premium quality varieties which are
    distiguished by better finish, tighter tolerances, and certified
    materials.

    Chalo Colina