Ti Bolts for Ritchey Stem

8

8cht

Guest
Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for my
Ritchey WCS road stem? I'm not concerned about the weight
difference, it's just that the Ritchey bolts have rust in
them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts. Also, exactly
what size and type of bolts do I need to replace the four on
the face plate and the two bolts on the back of the stem?
Thanks in advance.

your best bet is asking that question here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?s=711bed849a3248c27dca559b2db7409c&f=49

8cht wrote:

>Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for my
>Ritchey WCS road stem? I'm not concerned about the weight
>difference, it's just that the Ritchey bolts have rust in
>them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts. Also,
>exactly what size and type of bolts do I need to replace
>the four on the face plate and the two bolts on the back of
>the stem? Thanks in advance.

On Wed, 12 May 2004 19:51:12 -0400, "8cht" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for my
>Ritchey WCS road stem? I'm not concerned about the weight
>difference, it's just that the Ritchey bolts have rust in
>them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts. Also,
>exactly what size and type of bolts do I need to replace
>the four on the face plate and the two bolts on the back of
>the stem? Thanks in advance.

http://www.racebolts.com

The bolts are all likely standard metric bolts. They are
measured by taking the distance across the threads and the
length of the threads. For instance, a bolt that measures
6mm across with a vernier and 10mm in length would be an
m6x10. There are no in-between sizes and you can use a ruler
to measure quite adequately. Sometimes, (usually) if you
dont know the diameter, a knowledgable shop would probably
get you the right size based only on the length and the size
of key the head takes. In any case, the link I mentioned
above will show you different types. The tapered head socket
bolts are likely what you need. The tapered head just saves
a bit more weight. It's the bearing surface under the head
that is important, not the fact that the head tapers. You
can get washers if the original application used them.
Careful with the Ti. It creeps over your bike slowly, but
expensively. Have fun.

On Thu, 13 May 2004 00:28:04 GMT, Henry Morgan <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Wed, 12 May 2004 19:51:12 -0400, "8cht"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for
>>my Ritchey WCS road stem? I'm not concerned about the
>>weight difference, it's just that the Ritchey bolts have
>>rust in them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts.
>>Also, exactly what size and type of bolts do I need to
>>replace the four on the face plate and the two bolts on
>>the back of the stem? Thanks in advance.
>>

>http://www.racebolts.com
>
>The bolts are all likely standard metric bolts. They are
>measured by taking the distance across the threads and the
>length of the threads. For instance, a bolt that measures
>6mm across with a vernier and 10mm in length would be an
>m6x10. There are no in-between sizes and you can use a
>ruler to measure quite adequately. Sometimes, (usually) if
>you dont know the diameter, a knowledgable shop would
>probably get you the right size based only on the length
>and the size of key the head takes. In any case, the link I
>mentioned above will show you different types. The tapered
>head socket bolts are likely what you need. The tapered
>head just saves a bit more weight. It's the bearing surface
>under the head that is important, not the fact that the
>head tapers. You can get washers if the original
>application used them. Careful with the Ti. It creeps over
>your bike slowly, but expensively. Have fun.

I forgot to mention. The length measurement is taken along
the shank, NOT including the head.

>Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for my
>Ritchey WCS road stem? I'm not concerned about the weight
>difference, it's just that the Ritchey bolts have rust in
>them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts.

Switching to stainless steel bolting will avoid the
corrosion issue, and be cheaper than going to ti.

SS bolts are available at better hardware stores.

Chris Neary [email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could you
ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I loved" -
Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

> Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for
> my Ritchey WCS
road
> stem? I'm not concerned about the weight difference, it's
> just that the Ritchey bolts have rust in them and I'd like
> to avoid that with ti bolts. Also, exactly what size and
> type of bolts do I need to replace the four on the face
> plate and the two bolts on the back of the stem? Thanks in
> advance.

You might want to reconsider your choice of Ti bolts. Ti
hardware is fine in many applications, but to use it in a
place where failure is, as they say, not an option... that's
not my first choice for where to put ultralight stuff. It's
not as strong as the steel hardware it's replacing, and your
objections about rust can be overcome with stainless steel
hardware (or, just replace the steel bolts once in a while,
or make sure they're lightly oiled).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

8cht wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for
> my Ritchey WCS road stem? I'm not concerned about the
> weight difference, it's just that the Ritchey bolts have
> rust in them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts.

I'd prefer to avoid face plants when the Ti bolts fail by
using steel bolts.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for
> > my Ritchey WCS
> road
> > stem? I'm not concerned about the weight difference,
> > it's just that the Ritchey bolts have rust in them and
> > I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts. Also, exactly what
> > size and type of bolts do I need to replace the four on
> > the face plate and the two bolts on the back of the
> > stem? Thanks in advance.
>
> You might want to reconsider your choice of Ti bolts. Ti
> hardware is fine in many applications, but to use it in
> a place where failure is, as they say, not an option...
> that's not my first choice for where to put ultralight
> stuff. It's not as strong as the steel hardware it's
> replacing, and your objections about rust can be
> overcome with stainless steel hardware (or, just replace
> the steel bolts once in a while, or make sure they're
> lightly oiled).

I think Mike is right here. The Ti bolts are just not as
strong as they need to be, especially in bolts as short
as these, where the thread runs right up to the bottom
of the head. That is the typical failure point. Drying
that area of the bike off after a wash is important -
try using some compressed air (if you don't have access
to it you can use that canned stuff for computer or
photo work) - then a little drop of oil. I'd stay away
from hardware store stainless bolts, too, as they are of
unknown quality. Try to find a good fastener supply
place, if you can.

--
tanx, Howard

"Moby **** was a work of art, What the hell
happened?"

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

hortakiller-<< Does anyone know where I can purchase
titanium bolts for my Ritchey WCS road stem? >><BR><BR> <<
it's just that the Ritchey bolts have rust in them
>><BR><BR>

I wouldn't do this. Ti bolts that need a fair amount of
torque tend to gall or break. A stem is not a place to
have things break. Why we don't sell Deda stems with their
silly ti bolts.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'd stay away from hardware store stainless bolts, too,
> as they are of unknown quality. Try to find a good
> fastener supply place, if you can.

Is this true (about hardware store quality)?

Recommendations? Anyone? Thx.

In article <[email protected]>,
No.KirbyPublic2 @Verizon.no.net says...

> "Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:YOURhoward-
> [email protected]...
> > I'd stay away from hardware store stainless bolts, too,
> > as they are of unknown quality. Try to find a good
> > fastener supply place, if you can.
> >

> Is this true (about hardware store quality)?

Depends on the hardware store, but IMO, since most
people looking for cheap fasteners don't pay the extra
for stainless, the stainless is likely to be of
satisfactory quality.

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

"Kirby Krieger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:YOURhoward-
> [email protected]...
> > I'd stay away from hardware store stainless bolts, too,
> > as they are of unknown quality. Try to find a good
> > fastener supply place, if you can.
> >

> Is this true (about hardware store quality)?
>
> Recommendations? Anyone? Thx.

Hi tensile Allen screws are about as good as you can get.

Marty

"8cht" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for
> my Ritchey WCS road stem? I'm not concerned about the
> weight difference, it's just that the Ritchey bolts have
> rust in them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts.
> Also, exactly what size and type of bolts do I need to
> replace the four on the face plate and the two bolts on
> the back of the stem? Thanks in advance.

I think the bolts that came with WCS stems are stainless
already. I wouldn't use ordinally replacements from HW
stores because the standard sets have nicely polished heads.
Contact Ritchey directly and I am sure they can help you
out. Don't forget to grease them before install. WCS is my
favorite stem.

"8cht" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for
> my Ritchey WCS road stem? I'm not concerned about the
> weight difference, it's just that the Ritchey bolts have
> rust in them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts.
> Also, exactly what size and type of bolts do I need to
> replace the four on the face plate and the two bolts on
> the back of the stem? Thanks in advance.

I think the bolts that came with WCS stems are stainless
already. I wouldn't use ordinally replacements from HW
stores because the standard sets have nicely polished heads.
Contact Ritchey directly and I am sure they can help you
out. Don't forget to grease them before install. WCS is my
favorite stem.

Umm...guys...Although Ti is only ~1/2 as STIFF as steel
(i.e. for equivalent sections, it deflects easier), it's
STRENGTH is typically greater than steel, especially
stainless steels used for bolts and screws.

For example, here's a comparison of the yield strength
(stress level at which it permanently deforms) and tensile
strength (stress level at which it breaks) of 303
stainless steel (a typical stainless bolt material) and
Titanium 6Al4V.

Yield Strength: 303 SS - 75,000 psi (cold worked) Ti6Al4V -
128,000 psi

Tensile Strength: 303 SS - 110,000 psi (cold worked) Ti6Al4V
- 150,000 psi

So...I'd feel no uneasiness in replacing stem bolts (or any
other bolts on my bike) with Ti equivalents. They're
actually stronger. On top of that it's fatigue performance
is typically as good or better than steel. Just make sure
you use anti-sieze compound on the threads.

Now then...aluminum bolts? No way.

Tom Anhalt

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for
> > my Ritchey WCS
> road
> > stem? I'm not concerned about the weight difference,
> > it's just that the Ritchey bolts have rust in them and
> > I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts. Also, exactly what
> > size and type of bolts do I need to replace the four on
> > the face plate and the two bolts on the back of the
> > stem? Thanks in advance.
>
> You might want to reconsider your choice of Ti bolts. Ti
> hardware is fine in many applications, but to use it in
> a place where failure is, as they say, not an option...
> that's not my first choice for where to put ultralight
> stuff. It's not as strong as the steel hardware it's
> replacing, and your objections about rust can be
> overcome with stainless steel hardware (or, just replace
> the steel bolts once in a while, or make sure they're
> lightly oiled).
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"8cht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for
> my Ritchey WCS
road
> stem? I'm not concerned about the weight difference, it's
> just that the Ritchey bolts have rust in them and I'd like
> to avoid that with ti bolts. Also, exactly what size and
> type of bolts do I need to replace the four on the face
> plate and the two bolts on the back of the stem? Thanks in
> advance.

I once saw a rider rip the handlbars off his bike at the
starting gun of a road race - fortunately he was standing
still. I asked him later - Ti bolts.

Having worked in the titanium business for almost 20 years,
I can tell you a little about bolts. If you buy standard
titanium bolts made for the chemical industry, you would get
somewhat weak bolts. These would be around 50,000psi yield
strength much similar to a hardware store stove bolt (little
stronger). These are made from commercially pure titanium
and not alloyed to add strength.

If you bought aircraft quality the strength would go up
considerably to about 70,000psi or more. The alloys like
ti-6al-4v would be what you would be looking for and be
very common. Other alloys are even stronger and may be
harder to find.

One way to find out if what you are trying to do is safe is
to find the existing bolt strength either from the
manufacture of from the letter stamped on the bolt head, if
there is one. For example many automotive bolts are stamped
and used in specific locations. Compare this strength to the
titanium alloy bolt.

The alloy bolt, although not good for many chemical
applications should not corrode in your application.

Hope this helps.

John P.S. Try Titanium Fabrication Corp in Fairfield, NJ
--Sales Div

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for my
>Ritchey WCS road stem? I'm not concerned about the weight
>difference, it's just that the Ritchey bolts have rust in
>them and I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts. Also,
>exactly what size and type of bolts do I need to replace
>the four on the face plate and the two bolts on the back of
>the stem? Thanks in advance.

> > Does anyone know where I can purchase titanium bolts for
> > my Ritchey WCS
> road
> > stem? I'm not concerned about the weight difference,
> > it's just that the Ritchey bolts have rust in them and
> > I'd like to avoid that with ti bolts.
>
> I once saw a rider rip the handlbars off his bike at the
> starting gun of a road race - fortunately he was standing
> still. I asked him later - Ti bolts.

I also wouldn't recommend ti-bolts for a stem. I once had a
Ti-bolt of a Cinelli Solido stem snap. Luckely maneged to
stop without any damages, replaced the ti-bolts with steel
ones after that. Why not get a supply of steel bolts
(they're cheap) and change them once a year or so before the
rust sets is. It's easy to replace them without moving the
handlebars on a four bolt stem.