ti bolts

W E I

Guest
I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike. some of the bolts gone
rusted anyway.

I ordered these Ti top cap bolts (m6X35mm) from an online dealer. the head of the bolt is slightly
too big and it wont fit. by chance i found out the bolts would stick to a magnet. after sending a
question to the seller he replied (in a fashion like i am an idiot):

"Titanium is a steel alloy"

is it true? how come ti bike and my other ti bolts will not stick to magnet?

thanks w

w e i wrote:
> I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike. some of the bolts gone
> rusted anyway.
>
> I ordered these Ti top cap bolts (m6X35mm) from an online dealer. the head of the bolt is slightly
> too big and it wont fit. by chance i found out the bolts would stick to a magnet. after sending a
> question to the seller he replied (in a fashion like i am an idiot):
>
> "Titanium is a steel alloy"
>
> is it true? how come ti bike and my other ti bolts will not stick to magnet?
>
> thanks w

Titanium is an element ;)

However, most titanium used is something in the nature of 6/4 al/V, which means its got 90% elental
Ti, 6% elemental aluminum, and 4% elemental Vanadium.

Which dealer is this? He's full of **** either way, at least he could have given you aluminum bolts
which would appear to be lightweight...

Jon Bond

w e i wrote:
> I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike.

Hey, don't feel bad, I have Ti (inner and outer) chain-ring bolts AND a Chris King Ti headset and a
Ti 20T granny gear (for crossing the Kancamagus ;-) on my Ti CycloCross bike.

> some of the bolts gone rusted anyway.
>
> I ordered these Ti top cap bolts (m6X35mm) from an online dealer. the head of the bolt is slightly
> too big and it wont fit.

bummer.

> by chance i found out the bolts would stick to a magnet.

woops!

> after sending a question to the seller he replied (in a fashion like i am an idiot):
>
> "Titanium is a steel alloy"

RIIiiight!!!!! Spit out the hoook! spit it out, spit it out!!!!

> is it true? how come ti bike and my other ti bolts will not stick to magnet?

Because they _are_ Ti

w e i wrote:
> "Titanium is a steel alloy"

per: http://www.titanium.org/

Technical: Specific Information Physical Metallurgy Physical Metallurgy Considerations To understand
the microstructure of any alloy system it is necessary to outline the phase relationships and
constitution of the system being studied.

Titanium can exist in two crystal forms. The first is alpha which has a hexagonal close-packed
crystal structure and the second is beta which has a body-centered cubic structure. In unalloyed
titanium, the alpha phase is stable at all temperatures up to 1620°F. (880°C.) where it transforms
to the beta phase. This temperature is known as the beta transus temperature. The beta phase is
stable from 1620°F. (880°C.) to the melting point.

As alloying elements are added to pure titanium, the elements tend to change the temperature at
which the phase transformation occurs and the amount of each phase present. Alloy additions to
titanium, except tin and zirconium, tend to stabilize either the alpha or the beta phase. Elements
called alpha stabilizers stabilize the alpha phase to higher temperatures and beta stabilizers
stabilize the beta phase to lower temperatures.

Jonathan Bond wrote:
> w e i wrote:
>
>> I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike. some of the bolts gone
>> rusted anyway.
>>
>> I ordered these Ti top cap bolts (m6X35mm) from an online dealer. the head of the bolt is
>> slightly too big and it wont fit. by chance i found out the bolts would stick to a magnet. after
>> sending a question to the seller he replied (in a fashion like i am an idiot):
>>
>> "Titanium is a steel alloy"
>>
>> is it true? how come ti bike and my other ti bolts will not stick to magnet?
>>
>> thanks w
>

> Titanium is an element ;)
>
> However, most titanium used is something in the nature of 6/4 al/V, which means its got 90%
> elental Ti, 6% elemental aluminum, and 4% elemental Vanadium.
>
> Which dealer is this? He's full of **** either way, at least he could have given you aluminum
> bolts which would appear to be lightweight...
>
> Jon Bond

Oh yeah, and titanium is not ferromagnetic, which is the large scale magnetism you see with a
magnet. Iron, Cobalt, Nickel, and some of the rare earths (of which none of the three elements you
should find in titanium alloys) are. You've got steel bolts there, buddy.

Oh, BTW, he IS full of ****, because steel itself is an alloy of iron (which varies depending on
which type of steel, but usually limited to Carbon, Chromium, Molybdenum, and Chromium). So, yeah,
he's full of ****, call him on his bluff and demand your money back. I wouldn't hesitate to report
him to the BBB either, or the comprable authorities in your area.

Jon Bond

Jon Bond

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| Jonathan Bond wrote:
| > w e i wrote:
| >
| >> I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike. some of the bolts gone
| >> rusted anyway.
| >>
| >> I ordered these Ti top cap bolts (m6X35mm) from an online dealer. the head of the bolt is
| >> slightly too big and it wont fit. by chance i found out the bolts would stick to a magnet.
| >> after sending a question to the seller he replied (in a fashion like i am an idiot):
| >>
| >> "Titanium is a steel alloy"
| >>
| >> is it true? how come ti bike and my other ti bolts will not stick to magnet?
| >>
| >> thanks w
| >

| > Titanium is an element ;)
| >
| > However, most titanium used is something in the nature of 6/4 al/V, which means its got 90%
| > elental Ti, 6% elemental aluminum, and 4% elemental Vanadium.
| >
| > Which dealer is this? He's full of **** either way, at least he could have given you aluminum
| > bolts which would appear to be lightweight...
| >
| > Jon Bond
| >

| Oh yeah, and titanium is not ferromagnetic, which is the large scale magnetism you see with a
| magnet. Iron, Cobalt, Nickel, and some of the rare earths (of which none of the three elements you
| should find in titanium alloys) are. You've got steel bolts there, buddy.
|
| Oh, BTW, he IS full of ****, because steel itself is an alloy of iron (which varies depending on
| which type of steel, but usually limited to Carbon, Chromium, Molybdenum, and Chromium). So, yeah,
| he's full of ****, call him on his bluff and demand your money back. I wouldn't hesitate to report
| him to the BBB either, or the comprable authorities in your area.
|
| Jon Bond
|
| Jon Bond

Yep and also publish his company and details here so others dont get ripped off. Expose him like the
***** he is.

Simon..grrrrrrrrr

w e i wrote:
> I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike. some of the bolts gone
> rusted anyway.
>
> I ordered these Ti top cap bolts (m6X35mm) from an online dealer. the head of the bolt is slightly
> too big and it wont fit. by chance i found out the bolts would stick to a magnet. after sending a
> question to the seller he replied (in a fashion like i am an idiot):
>
> "Titanium is a steel alloy"
>
> is it true? how come ti bike and my other ti bolts will not stick to magnet?

He he. Think they saw you coming mate...

"w e i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>

> "Titanium is a steel alloy"
>
> is it true? how come ti bike and my other ti bolts will not stick to magnet?
>
> thanks w

Could there be such a thing as Titanium brand steel bolts? Just to trick the unsuspecting? Probably
not, but maybe...

Matt

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> w e i wrote:
> > I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike.
>
> Hey, don't feel bad, I have Ti (inner and outer) chain-ring bolts AND a Chris King Ti headset and
> a Ti 20T granny gear (for crossing the Kancamagus ;-) on my Ti CycloCross bike.

Hopefully you got that Ti CK headset just to keep in the Ti theme...isn't it actually heavier than
the standard CK headset? And much more expensive?

Chris (is just jealous there is no titanium in his whole damn house)

MattB says:

>Could there be such a thing as Titanium brand steel bolts?

I seem to remeber a "Tritanium" bolt being available once. Whether that was in the UK or the US is
something that my failing and aged memory just can't cope with at present, however. Of course, the
Trekkies use Tritanium in all sorts of strange places,,,,,,,

Steve

Chris wrote:
> "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>

>>w e i wrote:
>>
>>>I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike.
>>
>>Hey, don't feel bad, I have Ti (inner and outer) chain-ring bolts AND a Chris King Ti headset and
>>a Ti 20T granny gear (for crossing the Kancamagus ;-) on my Ti CycloCross bike.
>>

> Hopefully you got that Ti CK headset just to keep in the Ti theme...

Umm yeah, that's it.....

>isn't it actually heavier than the standard CK headset?

yes, it is.

>And much more expensive?

much, MUCH!

But it workstowards the ultimate goal of longevity and reliability. "Buy the best and only
cry once."