ti bolts

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by W E I, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. W E I

    W E I Guest

    I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike. some of the bolts gone
    rusted anyway.

    I ordered these Ti top cap bolts (m6X35mm) from an online dealer. the head of the bolt is slightly
    too big and it wont fit. by chance i found out the bolts would stick to a magnet. after sending a
    question to the seller he replied (in a fashion like i am an idiot):

    "Titanium is a steel alloy"

    is it true? how come ti bike and my other ti bolts will not stick to magnet?

    thanks w

    Tags:

  2. w e i wrote:
    > I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike. some of the bolts gone
    > rusted anyway.
    >
    > I ordered these Ti top cap bolts (m6X35mm) from an online dealer. the head of the bolt is slightly
    > too big and it wont fit. by chance i found out the bolts would stick to a magnet. after sending a
    > question to the seller he replied (in a fashion like i am an idiot):
    >
    > "Titanium is a steel alloy"
    >
    > is it true? how come ti bike and my other ti bolts will not stick to magnet?
    >
    > thanks w

    Titanium is an element ;)

    However, most titanium used is something in the nature of 6/4 al/V, which means its got 90% elental
    Ti, 6% elemental aluminum, and 4% elemental Vanadium.

    Which dealer is this? He's full of shit either way, at least he could have given you aluminum bolts
    which would appear to be lightweight...

    Jon Bond

  3. John G

    John G Guest

    w e i wrote:
    > I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike.

    Hey, don't feel bad, I have Ti (inner and outer) chain-ring bolts AND a Chris King Ti headset and a
    Ti 20T granny gear (for crossing the Kancamagus ;-) on my Ti CycloCross bike.

    > some of the bolts gone rusted anyway.
    >
    > I ordered these Ti top cap bolts (m6X35mm) from an online dealer. the head of the bolt is slightly
    > too big and it wont fit.

    bummer.

    > by chance i found out the bolts would stick to a magnet.

    woops!

    > after sending a question to the seller he replied (in a fashion like i am an idiot):
    >
    > "Titanium is a steel alloy"

    RIIiiight!!!!! Spit out the hoook! spit it out, spit it out!!!!

    > is it true? how come ti bike and my other ti bolts will not stick to magnet?

    Because they _are_ Ti

  4. John G

    John G Guest

    w e i wrote:
    > "Titanium is a steel alloy"

    per: http://www.titanium.org/

    Technical: Specific Information Physical Metallurgy Physical Metallurgy Considerations To understand
    the microstructure of any alloy system it is necessary to outline the phase relationships and
    constitution of the system being studied.

    Titanium can exist in two crystal forms. The first is alpha which has a hexagonal close-packed
    crystal structure and the second is beta which has a body-centered cubic structure. In unalloyed
    titanium, the alpha phase is stable at all temperatures up to 1620°F. (880°C.) where it transforms
    to the beta phase. This temperature is known as the beta transus temperature. The beta phase is
    stable from 1620°F. (880°C.) to the melting point.

    As alloying elements are added to pure titanium, the elements tend to change the temperature at
    which the phase transformation occurs and the amount of each phase present. Alloy additions to
    titanium, except tin and zirconium, tend to stabilize either the alpha or the beta phase. Elements
    called alpha stabilizers stabilize the alpha phase to higher temperatures and beta stabilizers
    stabilize the beta phase to lower temperatures.

  5. Jonathan Bond wrote:
    > w e i wrote:
    >
    >> I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike. some of the bolts gone
    >> rusted anyway.
    >>
    >> I ordered these Ti top cap bolts (m6X35mm) from an online dealer. the head of the bolt is
    >> slightly too big and it wont fit. by chance i found out the bolts would stick to a magnet. after
    >> sending a question to the seller he replied (in a fashion like i am an idiot):
    >>
    >> "Titanium is a steel alloy"
    >>
    >> is it true? how come ti bike and my other ti bolts will not stick to magnet?
    >>
    >> thanks w
    >

    > Titanium is an element ;)
    >
    > However, most titanium used is something in the nature of 6/4 al/V, which means its got 90%
    > elental Ti, 6% elemental aluminum, and 4% elemental Vanadium.
    >
    > Which dealer is this? He's full of shit either way, at least he could have given you aluminum
    > bolts which would appear to be lightweight...
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Oh yeah, and titanium is not ferromagnetic, which is the large scale magnetism you see with a
    magnet. Iron, Cobalt, Nickel, and some of the rare earths (of which none of the three elements you
    should find in titanium alloys) are. You've got steel bolts there, buddy.

    Oh, BTW, he IS full of shit, because steel itself is an alloy of iron (which varies depending on
    which type of steel, but usually limited to Carbon, Chromium, Molybdenum, and Chromium). So, yeah,
    he's full of shit, call him on his bluff and demand your money back. I wouldn't hesitate to report
    him to the BBB either, or the comprable authorities in your area.

    Jon Bond

    Jon Bond

  6. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    | Jonathan Bond wrote:
    | > w e i wrote:
    | >
    | >> I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike. some of the bolts gone
    | >> rusted anyway.
    | >>
    | >> I ordered these Ti top cap bolts (m6X35mm) from an online dealer. the head of the bolt is
    | >> slightly too big and it wont fit. by chance i found out the bolts would stick to a magnet.
    | >> after sending a question to the seller he replied (in a fashion like i am an idiot):
    | >>
    | >> "Titanium is a steel alloy"
    | >>
    | >> is it true? how come ti bike and my other ti bolts will not stick to magnet?
    | >>
    | >> thanks w
    | >

    | > Titanium is an element ;)
    | >
    | > However, most titanium used is something in the nature of 6/4 al/V, which means its got 90%
    | > elental Ti, 6% elemental aluminum, and 4% elemental Vanadium.
    | >
    | > Which dealer is this? He's full of shit either way, at least he could have given you aluminum
    | > bolts which would appear to be lightweight...
    | >
    | > Jon Bond
    | >

    | Oh yeah, and titanium is not ferromagnetic, which is the large scale magnetism you see with a
    | magnet. Iron, Cobalt, Nickel, and some of the rare earths (of which none of the three elements you
    | should find in titanium alloys) are. You've got steel bolts there, buddy.
    |
    | Oh, BTW, he IS full of shit, because steel itself is an alloy of iron (which varies depending on
    | which type of steel, but usually limited to Carbon, Chromium, Molybdenum, and Chromium). So, yeah,
    | he's full of shit, call him on his bluff and demand your money back. I wouldn't hesitate to report
    | him to the BBB either, or the comprable authorities in your area.
    |
    | Jon Bond
    |
    | Jon Bond

    Yep and also publish his company and details here so others dont get ripped off. Expose him like the
    bitch he is.

    Simon..grrrrrrrrr

  7. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    w e i wrote:
    > I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike. some of the bolts gone
    > rusted anyway.
    >
    > I ordered these Ti top cap bolts (m6X35mm) from an online dealer. the head of the bolt is slightly
    > too big and it wont fit. by chance i found out the bolts would stick to a magnet. after sending a
    > question to the seller he replied (in a fashion like i am an idiot):
    >
    > "Titanium is a steel alloy"
    >
    > is it true? how come ti bike and my other ti bolts will not stick to magnet?

    He he. Think they saw you coming mate...

  8. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "w e i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    > "Titanium is a steel alloy"
    >
    > is it true? how come ti bike and my other ti bolts will not stick to magnet?
    >
    > thanks w

    Could there be such a thing as Titanium brand steel bolts? Just to trick the unsuspecting? Probably
    not, but maybe...

    Matt

  9. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > w e i wrote:
    > > I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike.
    >
    > Hey, don't feel bad, I have Ti (inner and outer) chain-ring bolts AND a Chris King Ti headset and
    > a Ti 20T granny gear (for crossing the Kancamagus ;-) on my Ti CycloCross bike.

    Hopefully you got that Ti CK headset just to keep in the Ti theme...isn't it actually heavier than
    the standard CK headset? And much more expensive?

    Chris (is just jealous there is no titanium in his whole damn house)

  10. MattB says:

    >Could there be such a thing as Titanium brand steel bolts?

    I seem to remeber a "Tritanium" bolt being available once. Whether that was in the UK or the US is
    something that my failing and aged memory just can't cope with at present, however. Of course, the
    Trekkies use Tritanium in all sorts of strange places,,,,,,,

    Steve

  11. Chris wrote:
    > "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>w e i wrote:
    >>
    >>>I recently gone a bit mad about shaving a little weight off the bike.
    >>
    >>Hey, don't feel bad, I have Ti (inner and outer) chain-ring bolts AND a Chris King Ti headset and
    >>a Ti 20T granny gear (for crossing the Kancamagus ;-) on my Ti CycloCross bike.
    >>

    > Hopefully you got that Ti CK headset just to keep in the Ti theme...

    Umm yeah, that's it.....

    >isn't it actually heavier than the standard CK headset?

    yes, it is.

    >And much more expensive?

    much, MUCH!

    But it workstowards the ultimate goal of longevity and reliability. "Buy the best and only
    cry once."