Tiagra/105

rgoff

Aug 13, 2005
Are Tiagra and 105 components compatible? I have Tiagra shifters, crank, rear deraileur, but 105 front deraileur and 105 13/25 cassette. Everything is new but cannot adjust. Chain jumps a gear one way or another, no matter what. Chain is a 105 HG 73. Chain line is correct. Bottom bracket is right size.Should I cange derailer to 105 or cassette to Tiagra. Maybe different chain? HELP...thanks

Everything should be compatible from top of line down to bottom of line. That is, you can mix Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105 and so on with no issues, assuming it's all of the same speed. You can shift a 9 speed system with a 10 speed shifter, but it's not as efficient. but mixed components? Manufacturers do it all the time when specing a bike. Sounds like you're apparently in over your head with drivetrains, and need to take your bike to your friendly LBS. Ask them if you can watch them do their thing and take notes.

All is 9 speed, and my LBS is a little stumped. In all credit to them , there was a time issue. You did'nt mention Tiagra. Does that make it up to the 105, ultegra, dura ace group?...thanks

rgoff said:
All is 9 speed, and my LBS is a little stumped. In all credit to them , there was a time issue. You did'nt mention Tiagra. Does that make it up to the 105, ultegra, dura ace group?...thanks

There should be no problem mixing Tiagra and 105, 9 speed gear. The problem as you described in your original post sounds like indexing adjustment/fine tuning is required on the barrel adjuster for your RD, however, the LBS should be able to do this in seconds as could you if you followed the instructions on the Park Tool site. If this doesn't work then there could be problems such a bent RD hanger, poorly installed or damaged cable/casing etc. and you might need to find a more competent LBS.