Tiagra Shifter problems

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by JohnMackey, May 29, 2004.

1. JohnMackey

JohnMackey New Member

I recently bought a Giant OCR-2 with the Tiagra shifters and front derailleur. I noticed fairly quickly that it didn't like to shift to the smallest chainring, but I wasn't fussed about it (flat terrain locally), and figured it was a minor adjustment issue that I would get around to sometime.

Last week, I suffered a moderate wipeout, and sent the bike to the shop to be completely checked over. The shifters suffered some minor cosmetic damage, but certainly nothing serious looking.

When I got the bike back, it was clear the shop had completely botched the derailleur adjustments, so I took it upon myself to adjust them (I even downloaded the service data from Shimano...). With the cable on the front derailleur disconnected, I discovered something I though very odd - the front shifter seems to have FOUR positions. After much fiddling, I now how what I think is a working setup, and I can now get the chain on the smallest chainring. The "extra" position generally keeps the chain on the intermediate chainring, and is somewhat useful in that I can eliminate chain rub on the front derailleur through the whole sprocket range.

But is this normal? Maybe I am old fashioned, but I assumed the front shifter would have THREE positions to match the number of chainrings... Have I messed up the adjustments completely? Is this thing going to self destruct on the next long ride?

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

The shifter also has i trim postions in addition to positions for each of the 3 chainrngs.

3. natewilkes

natewilkes New Member

i have noticed this on my bike too. good thing i am upgrading in the near future. never going back to tiagra again.:mad:

4. fushman

fushman New Member

ya i think campy has like 20 positions its tite

5. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Better go Campy then. Tiagra works the same as 105 and ultegra,and not that differently from a DA triple front shifter.

6. natewilkes

natewilkes New Member

are all campy setups decent, or are there Sora and Tiagra equivalents?

7. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Ya think campy does not make some bottom of the barrel stuff?

8. fushman

fushman New Member

i dont think so according to their web site xenon sounds almost as cool as record

9. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

That's why they pay the marketing guys the big bucks.