Tiagra Shifting

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kerry Nikolaisen, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. I have a Tiagra triple rear derailleur on my Fuji Newest. The last half of
    the season I seem to be having problems with my upshifts from about the 4th
    to 9th cogs - way late - especially when going down hills. It doesn't do
    this on the bike stand.

    The chain is relatively new (approx. 1400 miles), and the same length as the
    old one. I have 3500+ miles on the cogs, cables/housing and crankset. I
    keep up the maintenance and constantly lube, so that shouldn't be a problem.

    I also shift frequently from the large chainring to middle. I will upshift
    in back then shift to the middle chainring. Sometimes it feels like I turn
    the cranks halfway with no resistance before the front shift is complete.

    Is it time for a new derailleur? Is it the triple that is slowing these
    shifts down? Comments/advice appreciated.

    Kerry Nikolaisen

    Tags:

  2. fourniks-<< The last half of
    the season I seem to be having problems with my upshifts from about the 4th
    to 9th cogs - way late - especially when going down hills. It doesn't do
    this on the bike stand. >><BR><BR>

    I would look at new inner wires and 5mm housing and flush the levers with the
    STI repair kit, WD-40 followed by a thin lube.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  3. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    Kerry Nikolaisen > wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >I have a Tiagra triple rear derailleur on my Fuji Newest. The last half of
    >the season I seem to be having problems with my upshifts from about the 4th
    >to 9th cogs - way late - especially when going down hills. It doesn't do
    >this on the bike stand.
    >
    >The chain is relatively new (approx. 1400 miles), and the same length as

    the
    >old one. I have 3500+ miles on the cogs, cables/housing and crankset. I
    >keep up the maintenance and constantly lube, so that shouldn't be a

    problem.

    >I also shift frequently from the large chainring to middle. I will upshift
    >in back then shift to the middle chainring. Sometimes it feels like I turn
    >the cranks halfway with no resistance before the front shift is complete.
    >
    >Is it time for a new derailleur? Is it the triple that is slowing these
    >shifts down? Comments/advice appreciated.

    Try to get the top pulley closer to the block by chain length or mech
    setting or wheel position.

    Trevor