Tiagra to Ultegra Shifter Upgrade - is it worthwhile?

timbradley

Aug 18, 2004
Hi all!

I'm currently running a Drive-train consisting of:
  1. Tiagra 9sp double STI shifters
  2. DA Front and Rear Mech
  3. Truvativ Rouleur 53-39
  4. Ultegra Cassette
I was thinking of upgrading the STI levers to 105 or Ultegra, but i wanted to know if it's actually worthwhile in terms of a difference in shifting performance - or is it mainly up to the derailleurs?

And will 10sp ultegra shifters work with my 9 sp drivetrain?

Cheers!

---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.tim-bradley.net

timbradley said:
Hi all!

I'm currently running a Drive-train consisting of:
  1. Tiagra 9sp double STI shifters
  2. DA Front and Rear Mech
  3. Truvativ Rouleur 53-39
  4. Ultegra Cassette
I was thinking of upgrading the STI levers to 105 or Ultegra, but i wanted to know if it's actually worthwhile in terms of a difference in shifting performance - or is it mainly up to the derailleurs?

And will 10sp ultegra shifters work with my 9 sp drivetrain?

Cheers!

---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.tim-bradley.net
Why would you think that 10-speed shifters might work with a 9-speed drivetrain?

Shifting performance is a function of all of the parts working in concert. I doubt you will feel very much difference by upgrading just one part. Unless you have a CHEAP source for Ultegra 9-speed shifters I wouldn't think that it would be very cost effective.

If your Tiagra stuff is working fine, why bother? Functionally, the Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and even Dura Ace are the same (assuming we're all in the 9 speed world here). Now wanting to convert to 10 speed is another story and a thread topic that has been discussed here many, many times previously.

OK then - you're probably right...I hate people who talk with reason

I guess saving the £150+ for the shifters is probably best...but what can I spend the money on instead???

timbradley said:

I guess saving the £150+ for the shifters is probably best...but what can I spend the money on instead???

We wore out our Ultegra 9sp levers and changed to DA. There was a noticable difference. Then again they may ahve felt better due to the wear on the Ultegra. Try out a few bike at your LBS's and see if you can tell the difference. If you can then go for it.
I've just built up a new road bike with DA 10sp and the shifts are so smooth and crisp.

Cheers

Geoff

timbradley said:

I agree you probably won't notice much (if any) difference switching your Tiagra brifters out for Ultegra. Spend your money on beer.