tiagra to ultegra

rk

Guest
I replaced my front tiagra tripple with an ultegra tripple and the chain
grinds alittle on the front when the chain is on the biggest gear up front
and the smallest gear on the rear. Is this normal, can it be adjusted so it
doesn't grind. Thanks

On Apr 22, 2:20 am, "rk" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I replaced my front tiagra tripple with an ultegra tripple and the chain
> grinds alittle on the front when the chain is on the biggest gear up front
> and the smallest gear on the rear. Is this normal, can it be adjusted so it
> doesn't grind. Thanks

Maybe-it's probably the angle of the FD, which is tricky, because the
angle will change as the clamp is tightened. Might also be the outer
limit screw needing a turn looser.

On Apr 22, 3:20 am, "rk" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I replaced my front tiagra tripple with an ultegra tripple and the chain
> grinds alittle on the front when the chain is on the biggest gear up front
> and the smallest gear on the rear. Is this normal, can it be adjusted so it
> doesn't grind. Thanks

Did you use the '10s, 6603 FD? If so, it doesn't move as far per shift
and the long inner cage will hit the 42t middle ring when in the
largest. Need a '9s', FD made for a 52/42/30, not the one made for a
52/39/30..

On Apr 22, 8:33 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 22, 3:20 am, "rk" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I replaced my front tiagra tripple with an ultegra tripple and the chain
> > grinds alittle on the front when the chain is on the biggest gear up front
> > and the smallest gear on the rear. Is this normal, can it be adjusted so it
> > doesn't grind. Thanks

> Did you use the '10s, 6603 FD? If so, it doesn't move as far per shift
> and the long inner cage will hit the 42t middle ring when in the
> largest. Need a '9s', FD made for a 52/42/30, not the one made for a
> 52/39/30..

.....and the Shimano STI scheme of needing a FD specifically designed
for a certain set of chainrings is just beyond absurd, IMO. If indexed
front shifting isn't the worst idea in the past 20 years, it sure is
near the top of a very short list.

On Apr 22, 8:30 am, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 22, 8:33 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 22, 3:20 am, "rk" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I replaced my front tiagra tripple with an ultegra tripple and the chain
> > > grinds alittle on the front when the chain is on the biggest gear up front
> > > and the smallest gear on the rear. Is this normal, can it be adjusted so it
> > > doesn't grind. Thanks

> > Did you use the '10s, 6603 FD? If so, it doesn't move as far per shift
> > and the long inner cage will hit the 42t middle ring when in the
> > largest. Need a '9s', FD made for a 52/42/30, not the one made for a
> > 52/39/30..

> ....and the Shimano STI scheme of needing a FD specifically designed
> for a certain set of chainrings is just beyond absurd, IMO. If indexed
> front shifting isn't the worst idea in the past 20 years, it sure is
> near the top of a very short list.

Well, the 'other' news is that the 6503 doens't shift the 52(3)/39/30
crank either...the cage isn't deep/long enough and won't really get
the chain off the 39.

Hank Wirtz wrote:
> Maybe-it's probably the angle of the FD, which is tricky, because the
> angle will change as the clamp is tightened. Might also be the outer
> limit screw needing a turn looser.

Or the sound of an 11t rear cog. Or a worn chain. Or a loose front gear
wire. Or a bent outer ring. We could go on, but we are not there to know.

It's 'triple' anyway. (I once had a manager who spelled it 'trippple')
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org