Tiagra Triple Trivia

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bill Kingson, May 13, 2003.

  1. Bill Kingson

    Bill Kingson Guest

    Fellow Techcyclists -

    All the chainrings on my new Tiagra Triple crankset have the same black finish and I thought they
    were all aluminum. I decided to find out. Using a magnet I found that only the big chainwheel is
    aluminum. The other two are steel. Does anyone know if this is the standard Tiagra configuration
    from the factory?

    They work great, so it's not a big deal. I'm not a racer or club rider and don't mind an extra ounce
    or two. But, it's worth noting for anyone considering them for a triple crank upgrade.

    Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine

    Tags:

  2. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Bill Kingson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Fellow Techcyclists -
    >
    > All the chainrings on my new Tiagra Triple crankset have
    the same
    > black finish and I thought they were all aluminum. I
    decided to find
    > out. Using a magnet I found that only the big chainwheel
    is aluminum.
    > The other two are steel. Does anyone know if this is the
    standard
    > Tiagra configuration from the factory?
    >
    > They work great, so it's not a big deal. I'm not a racer
    or club
    > rider and don't mind an extra ounce or two. But, it's
    worth noting
    > for anyone considering them for a triple crank upgrade.
    >
    > Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine

    Shimano Sora is all steel rings, Tiagra is steel inner/middle - see
    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/index.phtml

    Got to go to Shimano 105 to get all aluminum rings, which is a problem if you need a
    non-octalink crank.

  3. Bill-<< Using a magnet I found that only the big chainwheel is aluminum. The other two are steel.
    Does anyone know if this is the standard Tiagra configuration from the factory?

    yes.