Tiagra Triple Trivia

Bill Kingson

Guest
Fellow Techcyclists -

All the chainrings on my new Tiagra Triple crankset have the same black finish and I thought they
were all aluminum. I decided to find out. Using a magnet I found that only the big chainwheel is
aluminum. The other two are steel. Does anyone know if this is the standard Tiagra configuration
from the factory?

They work great, so it's not a big deal. I'm not a racer or club rider and don't mind an extra ounce
or two. But, it's worth noting for anyone considering them for a triple crank upgrade.

Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine

"Bill Kingson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Fellow Techcyclists -
>
> All the chainrings on my new Tiagra Triple crankset have
the same
> black finish and I thought they were all aluminum. I
decided to find
> out. Using a magnet I found that only the big chainwheel
is aluminum.
> The other two are steel. Does anyone know if this is the
standard
> Tiagra configuration from the factory?
>
> They work great, so it's not a big deal. I'm not a racer
or club
> rider and don't mind an extra ounce or two. But, it's
worth noting
> for anyone considering them for a triple crank upgrade.
>
> Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine

Shimano Sora is all steel rings, Tiagra is steel inner/middle - see
http://www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/index.phtml

Got to go to Shimano 105 to get all aluminum rings, which is a problem if you need a
non-octalink crank.

Bill-<< Using a magnet I found that only the big chainwheel is aluminum. The other two are steel.
Does anyone know if this is the standard Tiagra configuration from the factory?

yes.